Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

named driver vs full insurance

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭vectra

mickey mac wrote: »
    Was that a verbal assurance or did you get it in writing? My understanding is you must declare any claims against you, on any motor policy you hold, each time you renew.

Agreed but my bonus is protected.

DylanII wrote: »
    Ring up any insurance company tomorrow and ask them for a quote. Tell them that you have full NCB and no accidents. See what quote they give you.

Then tell them that your named driver crashed your other(with another policy) car last year causing 5k of damage which your insurer paid out, but its okay because you had NCB protection and see if the price increases.

You tell me if it would increase.

Del2005 wrote: »
    When renewing an insurance policy you are asked have you had any claims in the last 3 or 5 years. They don't care about which policy you claimed from. I had a crash on my Mothers policy years ago, we both had to declare it when renewing.

I have car and bike insurance, when I took out the bike insurance my full car NCD didn't count. But if I make a claim on either policy I have to tell the other on renewal. This will affect my risk so the price will go up, then whatever NCD I have will come off.

Again it is not me making the claim
    My bonus is protected, not the named driver,
    Go check it out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

My father is insured on two cars with two different companies. One is my car and I'm the named driver. He was not allowed to use his no claims discount on my policy. You are only allowed it on one policy. If I crash my car my father will not lose his no claims discount on his original policy. He has two insurances and decided obviously to keep the no claims discount on his own car.
    Since he has two policys it will only affect his no claims bonus on one policy(my car) not the other policy.

Just say I crashed my car in the morning as a named driver and we had to make a claim. It will not affect his no policy on his car one bit as it is a second insurance. He has two seperate policies.

Now on this insurance on my car this year when I am renewing my insurance under his name I will have one years no claim discount as a named driver and as this is a second insurance and he will have one year no claims bonus on the second insurance. He has built up a one year no claim bonus on a second insurance. How do people not see this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I did the same thing myself. I started as a named driver, im not saying dont do it.

Your no claims bonus will not be affected, but your premium will. I'll explain it in full when I get to my laptop, I'm on my phone now.

I did the same thing myself. I started as a named driver, im not saying dont do it.

Your no claims bonus will not be affected, but your premium will. I'll explain it in full when I get to my laptop, I'm on my phone now.

There are many that come into consideration but the main one is obviously if your male or female(I know that's changing soon) or your age.

If insurance on your own is 1500 euro and 800 under your parents name then you are obviously better going under your parents insurance. When you get your full license and have a year driving the policy will come down.
    If your insurance is 1500 on your own and 1200 under the parents then maybe its better to get your own insurance as theres only 300 in the difference.

I started driving when I was 23. Insurance in my own name on my provisional was 1400 euro. It was 840 euro under the parents name. I decided to go under the parents name.

A year later at 24 I'm still on my provisional and got a renewal for 680 euro under the parents name. Insurance under my own name was 1100 euro.

If I took out insurance under my own name it would not have made my insurance cheaper this year whatsoever. Liberty Insurance take into account that you were a named driver for a year. If you ring up other companies and tell them this they this will bring down your policy again. Never use the online system, not proper quotes and ripping people off.

Insurance companies tend to charge younger people 400-500 euro for insurance anyway even with 5 years no claim bonus and a full license.

Once you have the full and there's only a 200 or 300 between getting your own insurance and going under the parents name then get your own insurance. you will save a fortune in the long run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

vectra wrote: »
    Again it is not me making the claim
    My bonus is protected, not the named driver,
    Go check it out.
    Sorry, but it IS you making the claim. It is your policy and YOU are seeking indemnity under it for the actions of a driver authorised and agreed to drive the vehicle. Your insurers have a contract with you and not your named driver.

Tell me this, who will have to complete the claim form sign the declaration on it? Whose name would a cheque be payable to for any own damage element of the claim? You seriously think it will have no knock-on effect for you?????

• Advertisement

oldyouth wrote: »
    Sorry, but it IS you making the claim. It is your policy and YOU are seeking indemnity under it for the actions of a driver authorised and agreed to drive the vehicle. Your insurers have a contract with you and not your named driver.

Tell me this, who will have to complete the claim form sign the declaration on it? Whose name would a cheque be payable to for any own damage element of the claim? You seriously think it will have no knock-on effect for you?????

Here we go again.
    If my son has an accident/claim on that said policy then he is on his own for renewal.

How will this affect me?

oldyouth wrote: »

No it does not as its two separate insurances. You can only use your no claims on one insurance but can build it up on a second insurance.

I'm under my parents insurance under a different company on my car. After one year of driving the parents have one years no claim bonus on the second insurance on my car and I also have one years named drivers experience. If I crash my car and the parents make a claim on my car they will lose the one years no claim bonus on the insurance on my car and will not harm there's on there own car in any way

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Here we go again.
    If my son has an accident/claim on that said policy then he is on his own for renewal.

How will this affect me?

The insurance company, acting sensibly, will review your history and determine that, as a result of the claim you are a higher risk than they previously assessed. Accordingly, while the NCB is retained(say 50%), they are perfectly entitled to increase the underlying premium to take account of the higher perceived risk. What you are protected against is, in this instance, 50% of any increase rather than the entirety of the increase. Logic might dictate that, should you opt to drop the named driver in respect of whom a claim was made, such higher risk need not be factored in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Here we go again.

How will this affect me?
    Right, for the last time (believe me on that) I am not saying that your insurance will increase on your main policy for any accident on a policy that you are fronting. I am just saying that it is a claim that you make as a result of an accident that the named driver may have. It then forms part of your claims history and you must declare it to any potential insurer you approach looking for a quote. What they do with that information will vary from company to company.

It is the drivers accident which forms part of his history and it is your claim which forms part of yours. I note you didn't address the questions I put to you in my last post.

Anyway, laters..........

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Here we go again.

How will this affect me?
    areyawell wrote: »
    No it does not as its two separate insurances. You can only use your no claims on one insurance but can build it up on a second insurance.

I'm under my parents insurance under a different company on my car. After one year of driving the parents have one years no claim bonus on the second insurance on my car and I also have one years named drivers experience. If I crash my car and the parents make a claim on my car they will lose the one years no claim bonus on the insurance on my car and will not harm there's on there own car in any way

You both seem very confident that the insurer of car A (the one without the named driver) will not take into account when calculating you base premium at renewal the claim on car B that you legally have to disclose to them...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Any claim that is made against a policy that is in your name is your claim.

There are two policys, A - Your main policy & B your named driver policy.

If your named driver is in an accident and someone claims from policy B then they are not claiming from the named driver, they are claiming against your policy. If their claim is successful then there will be a claim on Policy B.

If you have Full NCB Protection then your No Claims Bonus/Discount will not be affected on either policy B or A.

You say that if your named driver is in an accident you will just cancel his policy and let 'em get their own policy. So now policy B is gone.

When you are renewing with policy A or looking for a new quote then you will still have your Full NCB (even if you don't have a full NCB Protection). However, you must legally disclose the fact that there was previously a claim made against you (or your policy). This will generally lead to an increase in your premium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I knows someone who insures his car in his granny's name and just uses open driving for his insurance needs. Saves a packet apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

People should be aware that if the main driver of the policy is not the policyholder that this needs to be declared to the insurance company as any resulting claim would be rejected and the policy invalidated. Especially, if you have a policy in your own name on your own vehicle already. I have heard of many claims being rejected by insurers lately because of this very reason.

This drastically increases the premium in the cases of a parent trying to get cheap insurance for the child by taking out the policy in their name and adding the child, therefore my advice OP, would be to take out a policy in your own name and earn your own NCB.

When you are renewing with policy A or looking for a new quote then you will still have your Full NCB (even if you don't have a full NCB Protection). However, you must legally disclose the fact that there was previously a claim made against you (or your policy). This will generally lead to an increase in your premium.

And you know this as fact I assume?

And you know this as fact I assume?

Do you think that your premium will not increase after a claim? :confused:

• Administrators Posts: 53,730 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Look, long story short:

If its your car, you drive it most of the time: Main Driver.
    If its not your car and you drive it from time to time: Named Driver.

If you go outside this then its at your own risk as there are too many variables to take into account.

IMO Only 'non shady grey area' way of doing it is sticking a family member down as a named driver on your policy (since they may actually use the car from time to time)

This can also reduce your premium.

Some good advice on the NCA Site:
    http://www.nca.ie/nca/car-insurance

If the policy costs significantly less, theres a reason for it.

Myself .. I wouldn't do jack sh*t unless I had it in writing from the Insurance company.

I.E. My son johnny is down as a named driver on the car, even though he drives it most of the time and for all intents and purposes its his car, is he insured. Please also confirm that any incidents will not affect by NCB Whatsoever.
    I'd want a solid yes answer.

Do insurers actually set a limit on how much named drivers are allowed to drive the car? By the sounds of it the rules they set are pretty vague and open to abuse. Certainly the named driver system has been abused in this country for years; its pretty much the only way most people I know could afford to start out driving.

Also, the fact that many are now offering a full years NCB for a years named driving experience suggests to me that they are, unofficially anyway, accepting the fact that many named drivers are the principle driver of the vehicle.

djimi wrote: »
    Do you think that your premium will not increase after a claim? :confused:

Which premium are you asking about?

• Advertisement

Which premium are you asking about?

Either premium. If you have two policies and you have a claim on one of them then you must disclose that when renewing both policies. Your NCB may not be affected if it is protected (or at all on the other policy) but the base premium amount for the policies will almost certainly be affected by the claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

awec wrote: »
    I think the basic is that if you are the main driver of the car, i.e. you drive it the most then you can't be a named driver under someone elses policy as that's fronting.

So, in the case you describe above keithclancy, I imagine the insurers would tell you that the situation you describe would be insurance fraud and to have your son Johnny take out his own policy.

Thats what I meant;

I.E. Johnny owns a car and is the main driver.
    His dad drives it from time to time, Johnnys dad is down as a Named Driver.

Johnnys policy is reduced because his dad drives it from time to time, which is not untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Just so yous know.

When i was taking out my current policy the guy on the phone asked me had I any females that I would like to put on the policy as a named driver. I had a few years ncb and full licence. I suggested my mum as she has clean full licence for decades but told him she would never really be driving it, once in a blue moon if ever.

Premium went down by 50euro. :)

I tried to add both my mother and my sister but neither made a difference to the policy price. Varies from insurer to insurer I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I was switching from Quinn to 123.ie at the time. Was a few years ago, think they were under-righted by Travellers Insurance at the time.

Now under-righted by RSA so with the gender neutral now in I might see if it makes a difference to remove her from the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

djimi wrote: »
    Do insurers actually set a limit on how much named drivers are allowed to drive the car? By the sounds of it the rules they set are pretty vague and open to abuse. Certainly the named driver system has been abused in this country for years; its pretty much the only way most people I know could afford to start out driving.

Also, the fact that many are now offering a full years NCB for a years named driving experience suggests to me that they are, unofficially anyway, accepting the fact that many named drivers are the principle driver of the vehicle.

Insurers can easily check if the parent already has a vehicle insured in their own name already, thus making it obvious if they have another vehicle insured with their son or daughter named on it that it they aren't the main user of that vehicle.

Also, 1yrs named driver experience does not equal 1yrs no claim bonus in terms of discount.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We only had one car until recently always insured in my name , recently I had to get a bigger one so the hu by had to get his own insurance ,more then one company allowed him a full ncb for the time that he was on my insurance once I got letter from each h previous insurer stating that he was named on the policy.
    It was his 1st policy in his own name in Ireland so it made a huge difference to the cost of quotes.

Advertisement