Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jimmy's Joining Celtic

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Anyhow congrats to jim on this apointment im glad to see that he can make a living out of what he does im sure nobody will hold this against him, his family comes first and supporting them should be his main priorty .
    On a personel note (as a proud donegal man)hope it works out and this time next year we have 3 ulsters and back to back all irelands would be some achievement.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Think yiz have missed the point of my initial post, I wasn't on about which teams are more irish than the next one (the inclusion of Ireland in the 3 I mentioned made that pretty clear) I was referring to the special affection that Celtic have from - I'd be pretty sure - a very large precentage of the people in donegal; it is this affection allied to the huge sense of gratitude/debt we feel towards JMG for what he and the team achieved last year that makes this move so.... palatable/non contentious/acceptable.

If he had made the same comittment to any other soccer team I don't think as many people in Donegal would feel the same way. We are happy for him, but also happy for Celtic... they can only be strengthened by his appointment, and it creates another bond/link between Celtic and Donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I thought I'd gone into a thread in the soccer forum by mistake for a while there. If you want to discuss Jim McGuinness joining Celtic part time as a coach here feel free, if you want to talk about Celtic FC go to the soccer forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Firblog wrote: »
    Think yiz have missed the point of my initial post, I wasn't on about which teams are more irish than the next one (the inclusion of Ireland in the 3 I mentioned made that pretty clear) I was referring to the special affection that Celtic have from - I'd be pretty sure - a very large precentage of the people in donegal; it is this affection allied to the huge sense of gratitude/debt we feel towards JMG for what he and the team achieved last year that makes this move so.... palatable/non contentious/acceptable.

If he had made the same comittment to any other soccer team I don't think as many people in Donegal would feel the same way. We are happy for him, but also happy for Celtic... they can only be strengthened by his appointment, and it creates another bond/link between Celtic and Donegal

my apologies firblog i mistook your post and thought it was sarcastic , and i agree with you, as i stated earlier i think its great he can recieve financial rewards whilst learning at Celtic & hopefully he can bring the same success he has had at Donegal to Celtic, whilst carrying on the great job he is already doing, it think its a win-win for everyone involved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

Only in Ireland would people show how Irish they are by supporting a Scottish team!

Finn Harps are a team with a strong Irish heritage, they would be happy with support from local football fans with a strong national identity.

Good luck to Jim in his new role, hope it goes well for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Technique wrote: »
    Only in Ireland would people show how Irish they are by supporting a Scottish team!

No matter what way I try to interpret that sentence it doesn't make any sense to me... Please explain..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

martyo wrote: »
    Anyhow congrats to jim on this apointment im glad to see that he can make a living out of what he does im sure nobody will hold this against him, his family comes first and supporting them should be his main priorty .
    On a personel note (as a proud donegal man)hope it works out and this time next year we have 3 ulsters and back to back all irelands would be some achievement.:D

Best of luck to Jim, the Celtic and Donegal connection continues.
    But listening to the media etc you would think the man was down and out on the dole, he has a free car supplied to him and his wife is a solicitor!!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

yourpics wrote: »
    Best of luck to Jim, the Celtic and Donegal connection continues.
    But listening to the media etc you would think the man was down and out on the dole, he has a free car supplied to him and his wife is a solicitor!!
    While im sure he enjoys having a free car im sure he does not want to live of his wife, and he spent years studying sport science and what not so of course he should be getting a paid job out of it, the same as every other person that studies anything wants , regardless of his finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Technique wrote: »

Finn Harps are a team with a strong Irish heritage, they would be happy with support from local football fans with a strong national identity.

Good luck to Jim in his new role, hope it goes well for him.

You can say that again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

Firblog wrote: »
    No matter what way I try to interpret that sentence it doesn't make any sense to me... Please explain..
    just out of curiosity... if an irishman went to america in 1888 and his decendant came back today would you call them irish? saying there is currently an irish 1/2 in the scottish football league just doesnt match up with their scottish bases. and was said above if i want to see an irish team theres a senior one in the county where the most exotic player was born in england (and grew up here!) there is actually as many czechs in the celtic senior squad atm as irish.

anyway its excellent for jim, iv seen so much crap about can he manage it time wise but for god sake its a 2 day job, call it 3 with travelling where he will pick up 150k a year for it. for a unemployed man with kids whose wife is on a 3 day week absoulte no brainer. anyway how many managers have full time jobs! with degrees in sports science & psychology he was always going to end up in a pro sports job. just a shame we cant keep calling him the perennial student then :pac:

• Advertisement

I take it all the people calling Celtic 100% Scottish didnt Cheer when Ray Houghton scored against England and Italy???

i agree with the fact that he can manage it time wise no bother... glasgow is a 30 min + flight away!!

just out of curiosity... if an irishman went to america in 1888 and his decendant came back today would you call them irish? saying there is currently an irish 1/2 in the scottish football league just doesnt match up with their scottish bases. and was said above if i want to see an irish team theres a senior one in the county where the most exotic player was born in england (and grew up here!) there is actually as many czechs in the celtic senior squad atm as irish.

Irish American.. same way the Celtic are a Scottish club with Irish heritage . Scots/Irish if you will.. as the name suggest!

Theres 3 Irishmen in the current Celtic squad & an Irish manager.. theres 2 czech players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

And predictably this thread is now locked. For future reference here is a link to the soccer forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement