Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dips blew...are bike bulbs the same as car bulbs?

• 10-11-2012 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Hi -- my dips "went" tonight...the rest of the lights work, so it's likely to be the bulb rather than a fuse.

So my question is, can I replace these with normal car lights?

I think I need: 12 volts, 55 watts, Type H7

It'll save me a 25km trip...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Same as cars. H7 has 2 connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I use h7's, any motor factor has one. I always carry a spare

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Whats the name of those really ice white/blue lights that you see a lot of cars and even a few bikes with these days??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

paddy147 wrote: »
    Whats the name of those really ice white/blue lights that you see a lot of cars and even a few bikes with these days??

I think they're Osram Nightbreakers you might be taking about? Something like this: http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=191709&pk=7D2EC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Probably High Intensity Discharge (HID) lights, they actually run less watts than a normal bulb but produce a very bright light because its an Arc rather than a filament glowing.
    They only really work properly in projector type headlights not reflector type.
    You can get kits to fit various different bulb holders but they cause problems with light scattering and blinding other people.

• Advertisement

5 euro in Aldi...if its of any help to you.

Various types available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I got osram night breakers for my sv a few weeks ago. They came with free side lights.

For the sv they were H4 fittings.
    They defo made a massive difference in lighting up the road as opposed to the normal bulbs that were in it.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/eu/product/osram-nightbreaker-night-breaker-h4-two-bulbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Various types available.

Legend, thanks!

rat_race wrote: »
    Legend, thanks!

No problem.:)

Oh and that was Aldi Coolock,still had loads of them left.

Im presuming that all other Aldi,s still have them out on the shop floor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Various types available.

Nice, handy to have them in the little box, throw them in a pannier/top box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Do these use alot more power then the standard bulbs....or is it much of a muchness? Would love to get a set for the FZ6 as I am out alot in the dark now TBH......

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Do these use alot more power then the standard bulbs....or is it much of a muchness? Would love to get a set for the FZ6 as I am out alot in the dark now TBH......

Nah man. They are the same as standard.
    I doubt know what the story is with most bikes taking a h7 fitting as my sv takes a h4

goodlad wrote: »

Nah man. They are the same as standard.
    I doubt know what the story is with most bikes taking a h7 fitting as my sv takes a h4

I'm refering to the osram nightbreaker plus with that post.

Only reason I ask is I have the dual headlight mod on my Fz6 so I dont wanna do any damage hooking up 2 Osram bulbs or similar, might pop up to halfords for a look. They prolly silly money in there all the same.
    According to my Haynes manual the left hand bulb on my bike is 55W halogen H4 and the right hand bulb is a 55W H7.

On the naked models both bulbs are H4's....thats a bit wierd.

So that means buying a pack of both for me to change the bulbs, Instead of just one pack for both bulbs.

Only reason I ask is I have the dual headlight mod on my Fz6 so I dont wanna do any damage hooking up 2 Osram bulbs or similar, might pop up to halfords for a look. They prolly silly money in there all the same.
    According to my Haynes manual the left hand bulb on my bike is 55W halogen H4 and the right hand bulb is a 55W H7.

On the naked models both bulbs are H4's....thats a bit wierd.

So that means buying a pack of both for me to change the bulbs, Instead of just one pack for both bulbs.

Yeah halfords do their own brand that claim to be similar to the osram stuff but from what I remember the price of a halfords bulb was the same as a twin pack of nightbreaker. But yeah, sure head over and try suss out the bulbs to fit the mod you have.

goodlad wrote: »
    Yeah halfords do their own brand that claim to be similar to the osram stuff but from what I remember the price of a halfords bulb was the same as a twin pack of nightbreaker. But yeah, sure head over and try suss out the bulbs to fit the mod you have.

Just had a look there and they are looking for €35 for one bulb so they can GET BENT!
    Might try and get a set from the same place you got yours, I am debating going for that ice white and blue glow instead of the normal white....what you think Gary?

Where did you get your set...online?

Just had a look there and they are looking for €35 for one bulb so they can GET BENT!

haha! Yeah man the prices are retarded.
    I got mine from powerbulbs.com and they came with free side lights.

I think micksgarage is slightly cheaper though.

Advertisement