Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Cycling - Advice Please

Options
  • 10-11-2012 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,

I am looking to get into cycling as a form of fitness and was wondering could anyone give me any ideas on what would be the best bike to start off with? I am 6ft 5in so would obviously need a strong bike. I aim to cycle each day abt 15-20kms.

I have looked at many of the online stores but just finding it hard to decide on either Road Racer, Road Cruiser or MTB Hardtail.

I want a bike thats lightweight, well able for hills as there are many in my location, would like to get decent speed but also have a comfortable cycle as I believe from others not all bikes offer this. Budget is around 700-800.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated. (Apologies for the long text)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

barry take a look at the Audex range of bikes reason being there super comfy fast and lightweight, the angles are more relax than say your racing bike, and if you fancy doing a bit of touring well the audex bike will get you there.Steel is still my favourate material for bikes take a look at THORN Audex www.sjscycles.co.uk mind you a bit more than 800 but it will give you an idea on what bike is best suited to you.
    best of luck choose wisely and dont forget a good strong lock;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Best thing would be to go into a local bike shop and talk to the guys in there and have a look at what they can offer. Now is a great time to buy a bike as shops are stocking the 2013 stuff and so will offer decent deals to move 2012 or 2011 bikes, that may only have a different colour scheme to the new models.
    If you're riding on the roads I would go for a drop bar bike as there are more riding positions available, so you can always get comfortable.
    The main thing is to decide what type of riding you want to do and get the right bike for that. A full suspension MTB is great on forest trails, but not so good on a commute or a 50 or 100+ Km sportive ride.
    I bought my first road bike online 18 months ago and haven't looked back. Wiggle and chain reaction are good online sites for ideas of what is available and to narrow a search down, and they both have sales on now.
    Once you have an idea of what you might like to get, there are plenty of people on here with a lot more knowledge than me who can help

Advertisement