Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"xx" at the end of text message from a female coworker

• 10-11-2012 12:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a bit confused / stunned over something that happened me this week.

I was out of the office for a few days, and I texted a colleague with some info she was looking for, and I was surprised that the reply that cam back was "thanks xx"

It is not as if she is a flirty / joking kind of person, and I have never given any indication that I am attracted to her. She is also 20+ years older than me (I am in my early 20's)

I didn't text back, but since then I've had 4 missed calls and 2 messages asking me to call her. I didn't answer because it is my personal phone, and if it was work related, I don't want to spend my free time discussing work. And if it is not work related, I don't really want to speak to her.

I don't want to overreact or make any sort of big deal out of this, but I'm worried what it might lead to if I don't confront it in some way.

Has anybody any advice?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

StrangeQ wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused / stunned over something that happened me this week.

I was out of the office for a few days, and I texted a colleague with some info she was looking for, and I was surprised that the reply that cam back was "thanks xx"

It is not as if she is a flirty / joking kind of person, and I have never given any indication that I am attracted to her. She is also 20+ years older than me (I am in my early 20's)

I didn't text back, but since then I've had 4 missed calls and 2 messages asking me to call her. I didn't answer because it is my personal phone, and if it was work related, I don't want to spend my free time discussing work. And if it is not work related, I don't really want to speak to her.

I don't want to overreact or make any sort of big deal out of this, but I'm worried what it might lead to if I don't confront it in some way.

Has anybody any advice?

It seems you are already overreacting. She could simply have sent the text in error. And what if there's some kind of emergency at work and she was trying to contact you. No good burying your head in the sand. Text her and ask her what's the problem. No use letting your imagination run wild. I doubt she's looking for a toyboy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

xx at end of text and messages on social media very common nowadays in platonic settings, no need to do anything. Polite to return work mates call usually, also lady may question have had regarding information you sent her perhaps xx :)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭MikeD22

Could be a habit that she has of signing off messages with an x. More than likely a genuine mistake.

Wouldn't put too much thought into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Total overeaction OP, some people end every text with x x, i know it's odd but there ya go, people do it.

As for her ringing/texting ya, maybe there was something she didn't understand about the info you sent her, would do no harm to answer your phone and find out what the issue is, would take 2 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

i dont want to over-react, but i threw my fone out the window and burned the sim card....

also..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Seriously OP how old are you and how sheltered a life you must be leading if you are not used to texts/emails with xx at then end of them

yes it was unprofessional of her to do it, but like already said she may be in the habit of doing it privately and this was a genuine mistake, you are totally over reacting and making a bigger issue than needs be by not answering her calls and messages....maybe she sent it realised that she put xx at the end and is mortified about it and wants to straighten the matter out before work on monday. You putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5 is just silly. Text her and see what the problem is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I've done this before texting (or worse) emailing colleagues, it's just a habit and I'm always mortified when I realise. You are totally overreacting here.

I would get back to her following the 4 missed calls and 2 text messages though, clearly she needs to talk to you. You can tell her then that you don't want to use your personal mobile for work, just ignoring her makes you look pretty ignorant. You were the one who used your personal mobile for work in the first place after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Total over reaction OP!
    I recently bought my home and myself and the girl selling would sometimes have to text and she would always include kisses, it was obviously just something she was in the habit of doing. I have a friend who buys things from various websites and will even text the owners asking are things still available, always including kisses, the same friend if contacting my boyfriend if my battery is gone etc will write kisses too it's just how she is.
    Seriously way too much thought put into this.

xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Has anybody any advice?

Forget this ever happened..

Seriously, she could have been writing the text while doing x, y and z and signed it off as she would a personal text etc. You're reading way too much into it.

StrangeQ wrote: »

I didn't answer because it is my personal phone, and if it was work related, I don't want to spend my free time discussing work. And if it is not work related, I don't really want to speak to her.

Has anybody any advice?

She's not flirty with you and is 20+ years older than you. OP she's just not that into you. You're being extremely oversensitive about it.

As for not answering your phone, that's just rude. Get over it and call her back, it was probably important. If your personal phone is so precious, don't give the number out to people and make sure they have your work phone number. I'm assuming you have a work phone because otherwise all this "personal phone" stuff is very odd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

She might very well have done it in error and was ringing, mortified, to explain. If not OP there are very few opportunities to sleep there way to the top - perhaps a welcome boost... I jest.

As for your personal phone I think you are getting undeserved flack. If it was important leave a voicemail - it's actually illegal for work to contact you on your days off - the least they can't expect is a bit of call screening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

it's actually illegal for work to contact you on your days off

Can you point me in the direction of this law?

Newaglish wrote: »
    Can you point me in the direction of this law?

It would be implied by the Organisation of Working Time Act. There is also case law on point where a guy won compensation for repeatedly being called at home. GIYF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It would be implied by the Organisation of Working Time Act.
    How so? Being contacted out of working hours is not working outside of working hours.

seamus wrote: »
    How so? Being contacted out of working hours is not working outside of working hours.

If you are being contacted I presume they aren't doing it to ask you how ye are and what the weather is like. I presume they would be asking you about work? That's interrupting your rest period.

The case I'm referring to is not one I've come across in my legal studies it was one reported in the media a few years back hence if you want it google it I'm afraid.

Of course its a matter of degree. "Bill You're in on Tuesday and Thursday" is a bit different from thirty minutes of questions on a work project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Reading waaaaay too much into this OP

Some people always add xxx to end of text messages

It means nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Def over reaction OP, plenty of people just finish texts like that without thinking...Hell I pointed out to my boss a few months back he'd finished an email to a client with 'xxx' He didn't even know he'd done it. Alot of time when your replying to texts and emails with quick replies your mind is already 5 steps ahead thinking about what your doing next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Many a fine tune played on an old fiddle ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

If you are being contacted I presume they aren't doing it to ask you how ye are and what the weather is like. I presume they would be asking you about work? That's interrupting your rest period.

The case I'm referring to is not one I've come across in my legal studies it was one reported in the media a few years back hence if you want it google it I'm afraid.

Of course its a matter of degree. "Bill You're in on Tuesday and Thursday" is a bit different from thirty minutes of questions on a work project.

Have you any more information other than "google it"? I can't seem to find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Some rubbish posts deleted: This isn't after-hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Seems very odd to me o.p. to be getting kisses in a text off a work colleague! :eek: Might as well ring them and find out what's going on! Possibly just an in-advertent text she sent without thinking but quite odd alright when you're not overly-friendly with her and only work with her. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

To be honest OP I wouldn't read anything into it, some people just put stuff in out of habbit.

I wouldn't worry at all just move on and forget it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

She wants to ride you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭redappple

I think putting xx at the end of a work related text is SOOOO unprofessional - but as others have said, it ,may have been by mistake!! Hopefully that is the case. If it was deliberate she needs to get a grip. If I were you I would ignore it and remain professional yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

testicle wrote: »
    She wants to ride you OP.

Don't post on this thread again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Well I wouldn't put XX but some people do - my 50 year old male work friend does and I think he just thinks it's cool (this is can you work on this over weekend and the XX is just to show appreciation)

I did once accidentally send an email to the CEO of a very large communications company with 'Love' as my closing greeting. Complete mistake. He thought it was hysterical.

I also know someone who thought she was texting her boyf but a very eminent accountant had the same name and he had to ring her and say stop. She was mortified.

Advertisement