Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Slam Of Darts

• 10-11-2012 12:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭

The Grand Slam of darts starts Saturday evening on Sky Sports at 7 00PM. 8 groups of 4 players with Groups A-D 1st round games been played at the 1st session.

A good tournament which includes both PDC and BDO players and Interestingly the only player outside of Phil Taylor to win this tournament is Scott Waites from the BDO. Taylor again will start as favourite however his form recently has been up and down so other players will fancy their chances. I fancy Van Gerwen to do well again and from the BDO It'll be Interesting to see how Lakeside World Champion Christan Kist will do. An exciting week of darts ahead.

Comments

One of the best tournaments, like to see the BDO lads go far but don't see any replicating Waites run a couple of years back. Pity Bunting not in it.

Edit, not sure how I managed to put a smiley in my answer, chalk it down to serious hangover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

What’s the story with Bunting did he turn the offer to play in it down or some other reason???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

buster180 wrote: »
    What’s the story with Bunting did he turn the offer to play in it down or some other reason???

I doubt he would turn it down considering he entered the UK open.

Love this tournament, it's great to have the BDO lads in with the PDC.

buster180 wrote: »

Afaik he was never offered a spot. And think qualifying is down to performances in specified tournaments, not ranking. Seems silly as it should be the best if the PDC and BDO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Reaching the last 4 in the BDO World Championship is the only plausible qualification path for BDO players, very difficult for them to qualify otherwise (would need Top 2 in UK Open).
    Theres no 'offering' spots as such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Grand_Slam_of_Darts#Qualifying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Not a good night for the BDO players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

I thought winning the Winmau guaranteed you a place in the Grand Slam. Pity the was not invited as he is in great form at the moment

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

That was some performance from Wesley Harms. I knew he was a good player but I didn't expect him to play that well. 5-2 win against Terry Jenkins with a 102 average and great finishing stats. I always enjoy seeing the BDO lads do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

Kingp35 wrote: »
    That was some performance from Wesley Harms. I knew he was a good player but I didn't expect him to play that well. 5-2 win against Terry Jenkins with a 102 average and great finishing stats. I always enjoy seeing the BDO lads do well.

Wayne Mardle must have put a curse on Jenkins and Nicholson, they were the only 2 players he tipped to win and they both got hammered...... keep your tips to yourself wayne lad;)

The great day for the BDO boys continues so far with O'Shea beating Lewis and Kist hammering Jones 5-1 with a very solid performance.

A shout out has to be given Gary Andersons shirt, top quality stuff! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

A mate of mine who knows his darts has posted on my blog with tips for today here

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭jonnygiles

Fancy Hankey to win tonight hes been backed in best price is 13/8 boylesports now, did it with whitlock king double

Impressive by Waites. BDO players on a roll today alright.

Love Hankeys walk on tune :D

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Love Hankeys walk on tune :D

Its hard to like him though
    come on beaton

Its hard to like him though
    come on beaton
    I've no dislike for him at all, game needs characters too.

He's allowed Beaton back in.

He is such an entertainer, but you'd wonder if the dramatics sometimes end up affecting him more than the opponent.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    I've no dislike for him at all, game needs characters too.

True,the game does need characters.
    hankey just comes across as a complete wanker

Conor74 wrote: »
    you'd wonder if the dramatics sometimes end up affecting him more than the opponent.
    They do imo. I wouldn't have him down as a contender in the big tournaments anymore but I'd much rather watch him than the countless others in that same bracket.

Dekker well beaten again.

Winstanley was solid.

Van Gerwen v Thornton should be a good clash later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

A good day for the BDO players with impressive performances from the Dutch lads Harms and Kist during the day and Waites was brilliant earlier tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Hankey for the PL :)

more tips fro mate of mine who is blogging went well yesterday anyway, this is actually one of best darts events as BDO lads have really stepped it up here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

Hi manafana
    Keep the tips coming. I fancy O'Shea and Kist tonight myself (havent read your link yet!)
    And will have smaller stakes on Harms and Part.

Now that I've read it, seems everyone is tipping O'Shea (have seen him tipped in 2 other places) yet his price still standing up!

Tarzann wrote: »
    Hi manafana
    Keep the tips coming. I fancy O'Shea and Kist tonight myself (havent read your link yet!)
    And will have smaller stakes on Harms and Part.

Now that I've read it, seems everyone is tipping O'Shea (have seen him tipped in 2 other places) yet his price still standing up!

I post it opinions are not my own, but he knows his darts. I assume the working mans money wont come till near off, happened yesterday with late money on the fancied outsiders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

What a shocking game of darts was Lewis v Part with Part winning in the end and in the process dumping Lewis out of the tournament but Lewis was woeful! Serious improvement needed to win Ally Pally for the 3rd year in a row but for some reason he never does well in the Grand Slam yet always ups his game big time for Ally Pally! He'll probably still be 2nd favourite to win the PDC Worlds despite his poor showing here the last 2 days.

Delighted for Anderson, even though I had money on O' Shea to win 5-2, which it really should have been.
    What a shirt :D

yeah o'shea should have locked that down for a nice outsider bet barney was outclassed thou yes he should have hit winning dart but he shouldnt have been give that chance, todays bets are up here.

Great Tournament so far and the right week to put it on too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

Eventhough hes been playin really well lately...........dolan came back down to ground level with a bang and was totally **** last night... mvg is the form horse for this and doesnt seem to let he head down when things are not going his way like hes done in the past..Wes is coming along nicely for the worlds.;););).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭jonnygiles

Anybody else impressed with Newtons win against the explosive Harms? Thought he dealt with the bright start from the Dutchman very well. Im a bit surprised King is second fav to beat Wade to be honest, Wade had poor match against Aaron Monk plus over last few years I have noticed hes started to lose confidence in himself a bit

Advertisement