Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Changeover (Ireland)

Options
  • 10-11-2012 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I have just purchased a new sony digital hd tv because of the digital changeover but when I went to tune the television I could not get any of the available HD channels such as ITV HD, BBC one HD and Channel 4 HD.! I am in the republic of ireland but am close enough to eniskillen to get the aformentioned britsh HD channels.! I already have a digital tv in the house and it picks up these channels so I cannot understand why the new tv wont pick them up...?

Is there any settings on these television that I can change to avail of these HD channels.??

Any help very much apreciated.!

Jemmy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,533 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Post the model no.

The FreeviewHD channels require a receiver with a DVB-T2 tuner, many TVs do not have this tuner type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

I have just purchased a new sony digital hd tv because of the digital changeover but when I went to tune the television I could not get any of the available HD channels such as ITV HD, BBC one HD and Channel 4 HD.! I am in the republic of ireland but am close enough to eniskillen to get the aformentioned britsh HD channels.! I already have a digital tv in the house and it picks up these channels so I cannot understand why the new tv wont pick them up...?

Is there any settings on these television that I can change to avail of these HD channels.??

Any help very much apreciated.!

Jemmy.

the uk and ireland have a different type of digital so some tvs will only pick up one or the other. some tvs can pick up both

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DoctorOnCall

the model number is sony bravia KDL-42EX443 / 42EX440...!

the television that i already had which works fine and all the HD channels are present is toshiba RV75* digital series..!

the model number is sony bravia KDL-42EX443 / 42EX440...!

Is it the 440 or the 443?

The 443 has a DVB-T2 tuner, the 440 doesn't.

From the manual, page 2
    DVB-T2 is not available for TV model series KDL-42EX440/32EX340.

sorry about that its actually the KDL-42EX44..! on the manual it say its for both of them two but the sticker on the new tele says its the KDL-42EX44.! if it doesnt have the tuner what can i do.??

• Advertisement

sorry about that its actually the KDL-42EX44..! on the manual it say its for both of them two but the sticker on the new tele says its the KDL-42EX44.! if it doesnt have the tuner what can i do.??

Get a FreeviewHD STB or stick with the SD channels on the TV, the HD channels are basically duplicates of the SD channels. The TV cannot be upgraded to DVB-T2 if it's not there at manufacture.

If you still have the box the TV arrived in it may identify the actual model no.

EDIT: The system information within the menu should identify the model no.

i checked the product information on the tele and its
    KDL-42EX440

this means i cannot get freeview HD does it.???

How much would the STB cost.??

There may be a possibility that i can change the television for another. Would you reccommend any.???

i checked the product information on the tele and its
    KDL-42EX440

this means i cannot get freeview HD does it.???

Yes.
    How much would the STB cost.??

There may be a possibility that i can change the television for another. Would you reccommend any.???

I live in an area that cannot receive the FreeviewHD (DVB-T2) channels via an aerial and so wouldn't be up to speed on the cost of these receivers or which would be best.

What about it's sister model, the 443?

thanks for the help...!

i think i will look into the 443 model..!

How do you know that the 443 model has the (DVB-T2) tuner.?? or how do u know if any tv has it for that matter.??

How do you know that the 443 model has the (DVB-T2) tuner.?? or how do u know if any tv has it for that matter.??

The specs in the manual, page 29. Also read through page 2 of the manual.

• Advertisement

thanks for the help.!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

I made a list recently of Saorview approved LG, Samsung and Sony models with DVB-T2.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

You should not have been sold a 40in set that cannot receive the HD channels unless this had been made clear to you. Ask the store to replace it for the 443.

Advertisement