Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many Children?

Options
  • 10-11-2012 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

I have 3 boys under 5.
    What is the typical Irish family size in 2012/13?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Here is the report on families from Census 2011.

Page 17 for average family size.

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/census/documents/census2011profile5/Profile%205%20Households%20and%20Families%20full%20doc%20sig%20amended.pdf

Just below 1.4 children per family in 2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I'm second eldest of seven.

I've no children yet myself, but can't imagine having more than 2-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I am one of 5 and I have 2 under 5 myself and do not intend having any more. Husband is one of 8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm the eldest of 9 and always knew I didn't want a big family so have 2 teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I grew up in a family of 3 kids, I have two and financially that's our limit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I was an only child so grew up wanting kids and never wanting my kids to be only children.
    I have a 3 year old ,a 1 year old and a bump due in December and if the 3rd is as easy to mind as the 2 big girls then I think 4 is my number.
    We could not afford more then 4 and I don't know where I would get the time to give them all individual attention, so for now 4 seems to be the perfect # for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I have 3... I am not quite sure if I am finished but if I do go again 4 will be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Come 7th in a family of 12. I have two (7 year old & a 4 year old). Most of my sisters are Mammie's most have 3 babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

I am the oldest of two, I have one child so far and can't wait for number 2, trying at the minute, please God I would love 3 eventually, but happy with my wonderful little one for now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I'm the one of 5 and himself is one of 9.

I have one child and he has none.

I would hope to have one more at least and see how it goes and then carry on from there. My limit would be 3 more (4 in total).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I am 1 of 7 and himself is 1 of 2. We have 1 little girl. We don't plan on having any more as financially we couldn't afford it. I would like her to have a sibling but it wouldn't be the worst thing if she remains an only child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Im 1 of 2, he is 1 of 3, and neither of us want to have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I'm one of 6 him one of 4, we always wanted 3-4 but right now we'd be happy with 1.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Im an only child and he's one of 5. We have 1 and we're happy with that but were young enough to have another in a good few years if we change our minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

http://youtu.be/A9Tn-H251Uc

Not sure if that came out right, but its Nancy Griffith singig Turn around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chieftain180

ha ha, thats a good question. id say 2 children is about average. because parents are having children late in life. 5 kids is a lot these days... just saying... if everyone had 5 kids the population would EXPLODE !!!! Sorry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Im one of 4 and so is himself. Have 1 so far but would like to have 3. My sister has 2 and my brother has 4. .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I'm 1 of 2, himself is an only child. We've one so far, but would like 3, maybe 4?!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

I'm from a family of 6. All my aunts have bigger families than that, all my uncles only have 2 (I'm comparing brothers and sisters from the one family here) - except one who strangely enough lives in England most of his life.
    Himself is 1 of 2 and his cousins are all small families.

All together we have 4 - he had 3 from a previous relationship and we have 1 little baby together. We have 2 teenage boys living in the house (his oldest two), his youngest is coming for three weeks at Christmas and we're currently trying for another baby.

And for the kicker - there's a 17 year age gap, he finished school the year I was born, and I'm closer in age to his oldest son than to him!

This kind of got away from me.

All in all, we hope to have a total of 5 kids (3+2). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Im the eldest of 4, he is the eldest of 5; both of us would be more than happy with 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I'm the eldest of two, he's the 2nd youngest of 5. We have 3 ourselves. We have big age gaps between them, due to circumstances at the time. There won't be anymore now, and that's grand, as the youngest is just 10 months. If circumstances had been different, I would have liked at least one more...

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

I'm youngest of 7 and he is one of 4
    I'd like to have 2 but think financially 1 will I have to do which I don't mind il have to stay working full time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'm the oldest of 4, he's the youngest of 2. We have 2 now, I'd like 4, he reckons we're finished...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I only have one sibling and my huband has none, so we're a small family. We'd like two children but I'm pregnant at the moment with our first and extremely ill so the idea of a second is becoming less and less tempting! Maybe in a year or two I'll forget how debilitating it is and go for another :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm the youngest of four, my wife is the youngest of three, and we've both said from the start that we'll go for 3, maybe 4 (we'll make that decision when have 3!). Now that we have our first, I suspect 3 is the magic number, but motherhood suits my wife, so you never know...

I think siblings are essential for a person, but then my 3 brothers are my best mates. I do know of huge families (10+) where some of the siblings are nothing more to eachother than lodgers living in the same building, so I think 3-5 is probably the magic number where everyone can (eventually) get along and become close.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm the eldest of 3, my fiancée is the middle child of 3.

We have 2 kids, one from before me and one together. Another one wouldn't be a disaster but we're not planning for it. As she puts it: "kitchen's closed, I want my life back when I'm still young enough to enjoy it".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

seamus wrote: »
    I think siblings are essential for a person, but then my 3 brothers are my best mates. I do know of huge families (10+) where some of the siblings are nothing more to eachother than lodgers living in the same building, so I think 3-5 is probably the magic number where everyone can (eventually) get along and become close.

Not sure I would agree with you on that one.....

I am the middle of three, I have zero relationships with either of them through choice. They are not bad people or anything like that but I just am happier without them and I dread the day a family event crops up where we will be thrown together.

My husband has siblings and they get along alright but despite them being born over three consecutive years they are not best mates...anything but!

I know we are rare but its amazing the way people assume siblings are going to be like a set of ready made best friends or something. Its not always the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

seamus wrote: »
    I think siblings are essential for a person, but then my 3 brothers are my best mates.

I have no relationship with my sibling and he is not a part of my life through choice. I never liked him growing up and he only became more dysfunctional as he got older. I dont even hate him, I am just totally ambivalent about him, I couldnt care less.

I used to think itd be nice to have a sibling that I liked but there would always be the risk theyd be a horrible individual like my current one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Im an only child,hes 1 of 9 and we have 5 boys.3 under 5 and 2 teenagers.I didnt plan on having 5 its just the way things panned out.Dont regret it its good fun most days.

• Advertisement

One so far and trying to start on a second but no luck yet. The plan is the girls want 4 however - 2 each. I just hope we have a son soon. This house is getting a little female heavy for my liking :) I am outnumbered and running a democracy in our household is likely to stop favoring me at all if this keeps up :)

Advertisement