Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I did something really stupid....Windows 8!

Options
  • 10-11-2012 3:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I'm not sure this is the place to put this but I'm really hoping someone can help me. I upgraded my Sony Vaio laptop to Windows 8 but I didn't realise you needed to migrate the installation. Because it wasn't working Windows sent me different solutions to fix the problem with the last being to refresh the laptop....which I did and I've now lost all applications that came on the laptop to begin with, including all Vaio stuff. Of course now I realise I shouldn't have done any of this :( Is it too late to restore the laptop to the factory settings?? I'm also ashamed to admit I didn't make recovery discs so I assume I've absolutely screwed myself :( And of course the laptops only 2 months old :( Please someone give me good news.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,349 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No need to panic,

Depending on how forward-thinking sony is, you should be able to download most of the software directly from the laptop's product support page.

Alternatively, you can do what I warn customers ad nauseum they will have to do when they don't heed my advice to either pay us to make the discs on the spot or do it themselves at home in a timely manner: order the OEM recovery discs from Sony. They're not terribly expensive, probably from somewhere between 30 and 60 Euro, but the pain is you have to wait for them to ship, which could easily be a week or longer. I know that's not fun when you are waiting on the discs as a solution but there aren't many other ways around it.

Did you have Microsoft Office on there, and did you purchase it as a Product Key Card (PKC)? It should be tied to your live account if so, but if you have the card still lying around with the license on it, it helps. You may have to call MSFT back to get it to reactivate after the re-installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Check just in case it would have a recovery partition. Sony have done it before. You may have wiped it depending on what you did, but worth a shot.

Shut down. Press the power power button then start tapping F10 until a dialog comes up. It'll be different to the normal bios splash, but that may come up first.

If this works, it'll go back to the factory image. All your data will still be gone, and any programs you installed yourself, buuut you'll be back on 7 and all the drivers/vaio managers will be installed. As soon as you're in you should install all the updates(will take a few reboots) so that you have all the security patches and put antivirus back on and then you'll be up and running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭whatanidiot

I did the F10 option the way Sony has it set up but I chickened out at the last minute and I've sent an email to Sony so hopefully they can help me out. Although I think its my only option I'm gonna see what they saw before making any more decisions in case I do more damage. Through researching it now I think I've fairly screwed it but here's hoping. Cheers for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hardybucks

Check the C drive - it should have a Windows old folder
    Stuff from old operating system still available in there

Don't have Dropbox yet? Sign from this link http://db.tt/HCF7mSlQ - we both get more free storage

Advertisement