Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daily diet

• 10-11-2012 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

I would like opinions on my daily diet.

I am wondering if it's diverse enough and nutritionally complete?

Male, 30, 150lbs, 5'9".

Exercise regularly, cardio and weights.

Lots of water throughout the day, at least 2 litres.

Breakfast:

250ml liquid fruit or veg (e.g. apple, carrot)
    200g raw pumpkin seeds and almonds (sometimes also sunflowers seeds and Brazil nuts)

Lunch:

Pasta Primavera (creamy cheese, peppers, onions, spinach)

Late afternoon:

(200g) Snacking on pumpkins seeds and almonds throughout the day (sometimes also sunflowers seeds and Brazil nuts)

Dinner:

250ml liquid fruit or veg (e.g. apple, carrot)
    Fresh salmon or trout, baked in oven, with steamed veg, usually broccoli, no pasta, rice, potato etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A portion of nuts and seeds should be 25-50g not 200g. That's huge. 200g is about 1200calories worth, but you probably aren't digesting them fully so wasting some of this energy.

I don't see the point of liquid fruit and veg either.
    Lunch is average. Dinner is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Thanks for the reply.

Fruit and veg are for nutrients, the 5 a day thing!

Why do you say you don't see the point of the fruit and veg?

I take it in liquid from for conveinence; I think it's better then eating them boiled and solid!

There are a lot of calories in the nuts and seeds, but zero cholesterol so I think it's ok.

I'm not gaining weight either!

Maybe saturated fat is something to be wary of though, especially with the Brazil nuts.

Fruit and veg are for nutrients, the 5 a day thing!

Why do you say you don't see the point of the fruit and veg?

I take it in liquid from for conveinence; I think it's better then eating them boiled and solid!
    I don't see the point as you are could be losing a lot of the benefits.
    When you say liquid veg, what exactly is this. Pre-packed, juiced, blended etc.
    The juice of 5 veg doesn't contain the same nutrients as that veg whole. All the fibre is gone for a start, plus what ever vitamins are left behind in the pulp.

Blended is fine, as its just whole veg chopped small. Basically cold soup.

There are a lot of calories in the nuts and seeds, but zero cholesterol so I think it's ok.
    Cholesterol intake is irrelevant here. You can't eat endless calories no matter how many good qualities there are.
    I'm not gaining weight either!
    As i said before you probably aren't digesting this quantity of nuts though. So they pass through before you get the energy, or the benefits. They are literally going straight down the toilet. A waste of food and money imo.
    400g of nuts and seeds is 2400 calories. If you were eating this daily, on top of the 3 meals, and actually absorbing this energy you'd gain weight fast.

You haven't said what your diet goals were, but I don't imagine that diets covers any. It's almost like you are trying to complicate it.

Eat meals around protein and veg. Snack on fruit and some nuts. Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

Mellor wrote: »
    The juice of 5 veg doesn't contain the same nutrients as that veg whole. All the fibre is gone for a start, plus what ever vitamins are left behind in the pulp.

Cholesterol intake is irrelevant here. You can't eat endless calories no matter how many good qualities there are.

As i said before you probably aren't digesting this quantity of nuts though. So they pass through before you get the energy, or the benefits. They are literally going straight down the toilet. A waste of food and money imo.
    400g of nuts and seeds is 2400 calories. If you were eating this daily, on top of the 3 meals, and actually absorbing this energy you'd gain weight fast.

You haven't said what your diet goals were, but I don't imagine that diets covers any. It's almost like you are trying to complicate it.

Hope it's ok - but hijacking this thread as at the moment I am reading myself in circles. Have hit a weight loss plateau and want to know best way forward.
    Brief - May 20th 16stone 9lb - female 39, 5ft 6 inches - today 12 stone 6lb with just lots of little changes - now only 1/2lb losses a week.
    Was doing more protein and veg - porridge or rice every 2nd day and no bread (odd cracker) but then was told need to do pasta, pots, rice etc and v low fat to go from here. Both arguments make sense but which will make me leaner?
    Exercise - 40 mins walk/slow jog 4 days a week. 2 hours swimming. 3 by 20 mins airwalker and 3 by 20 reps shoulder press(?) 30 mins kettlebells.
    thanks for any advice (that works :D) Would love 7lb by Xmas.

Was doing more protein and veg - porridge or rice every 2nd day and no bread (odd cracker) but then was told need to do pasta, pots, rice etc and v low fat to go from here. Both arguments make sense but which will make me leaner?

Great job on the losses so far. In a way you are a victim of you own success. You did so well at the start when the weight loss is slowing you are disheartened. Don't be, that kind of amazing weight loss simply can't be sustained. 1/2-1lb per week is loads.

Stick with decent protein (eggs, meats etc) and veg. It's worked up until now.
    I understand the logic behind low fat (to keep calories down) and carbs (for energy). But you'll get plenty energy form meat and veg.

What you may need to do is adjust portion sizes. The meals that achieved weightloss when you were 16stone, won't work for 12stone as you simply need less energy to keep going. Trying dropping portions back by 10-20%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Yes, it's all the fruit and veg, pulp in all.

Why do you say they pass straight through? And aside from energy, almonds for example contain lots of minerals and vitamins. Do you think that if the calories are not being digested the same goes for the vitamins and minerals?

I have recently just went with the seeds and nuts to replace breakfast, which used to be 2 eggs. I can't get into the routine of spending much time preparing breakfast. I don't like cereals or porridge. I used to eat yoghurt so maybe this I could go back to this.

My original question was:
    I am wondering if it's diverse enough and nutritionally complete?

My diet goal is to have a nutritionally complete diet.

From your advice I think I need to come up with a better breakfast and use the nuts and seeds as snacks only. I find them handy to have around as I snack on them and thus it stops me from eating sweets!

I do try and go for protein, mainly through the nuts, spinach, cheese and fish.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes, it's all the fruit and veg, pulp in all.
    Well thats much better. When people say fruit and veg juice, I imagien one of those spinning juicers that splits the juice and pulp.
    Why do you say they pass straight through? And aside from energy, almonds for example contain lots of minerals and vitamins. Do you think that if the calories are not being digested the same goes for the vitamins and minerals?
    Well giveaway would be that you aren't gaining weight (the other is that you can sometimes see them on the other end. And if they are passing through I'd say the same goes for vitamins and minerals.

Remember nuts and seeds are difficult to digest by design, animals eat the fruit, and the seeds pass through unharmed and are "planted".
    I have recently just went with the seeds and nuts to replace breakfast, which used to be 2 eggs. I can't get into the routine of spending much time preparing breakfast. I don't like cereals or porridge. I used to eat yoghurt so maybe this I could go back to this.
    I boil eggs the night before and chop it up with avocado and tomato in the morning. Fast to prep, and is nutritionally diverse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Agree completely with Mellor.

Eggs in the morning are a much better option, i too hate preparing stuff especially in the morning. What i do is hard boil a load of eggs at once (12) and then keep them in the fridge. Can have them in the morning or for snacks during the day.
    You can also do scrambled eggs in the microwave, just crack 3 into a bowl and pop them in for ~2mins. Then just mix it up. Tasty and fast.
    Also porridge in the morning is another option, i get the flahavans quick oats and put a little sugar or honey or raisins in. Again 2mins in the microware and it is super handy as they have exact measures. http://www.flahavans.com/product/porridgeoats/micro_sachets.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Scrambled egg is VERY quick to make. You can even do it in the microwave.

Advertisement