Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twist Soup Kitchen on the docks

Options
  • 18-06-2012 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

galway advertiser
    ''Nobody should go hungry in this city — if you are out there today, down on your luck, and don't have access to a hot meal or even a cup of tea/coffee, a soup kitchen has been opened at the docks, near VP Motors, where people can get fed. It is run by a man called Oliver Williams who said he is doing this because he availed of the same service in London as a youngster. Pass the word around, because there are people going hungry this day. Please share.
    The background is that it is called twist and is a charity set up by Oliver Williams and Mike Reilly. They receive no funding but they ask people who can afford to make a small donation to do so. Food is kindly donated by Mike Walsh Butchers, Athenry. The kitchen is open from 10-4 Mon to Friday and 10-12 Saturday.''

Oliver can be contacted at <no mail, PM user for this info thanks>

this is great and was badly needed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Passed it driving through the Docks. Great idea and fair play to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

Were there not any before? Really suprised if there weren't:O

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

swiftman wrote: »
    galway advertiser
    The background is that it is called twist and is a charity set up by Oliver Williams and Mike Reilly. They receive no funding but they ask people who can afford to make a small donation to do so.....
    this is great and was badly needed.

Badly needed - by who?

Cope, Simon and VdP do a pretty thorough job of looking after the people who really do fall between the cracks of the health and welfare systems. I'm not at all convinced that another agency which provides un co-ordinated services that don't address the underlying problems is a good idea.

Especially on the docks, just before the VOR comes to town.

And there's a bit of me that's saying "a guy called Oliver, setting up a service called Twist ... yeah, right, how every Dickinsonian". Pics or GTOF ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

JustMary wrote: »
    Badly needed - by who?

Cope, Simon and VdP do a pretty thorough job of looking after the people who really do fall between the cracks of the health and welfare systems. I'm not at all convinced that another agency which provides un co-ordinated services that don't address the underlying problems is a good idea.

And there's a bit of me that's saying "a guy called Oliver, setting up a service called Twist ... yeah, right, how every Dickinsonian". Pics or GTOF ...

I've offered to do a bit of volunteer work helping out in the kitchen as I do a bit with COPE Galway.

If I do end up chipping in a hand i'll revert back to you with that I make of the place (not that i'm an expert in the field)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Badly needed - by who?

Jesus what happened to you in a soup kitchen!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Jesus what happened to you in a soup kitchen!!! :rolleyes:

Nothing.

And I've volunteered in one, which was part of a network of social-service providers that shared information and made sure that people were getting their benefit entitlements, housing, medications, etc.

But there's always a risk that un co-ordinated initiatives like this actually just make problems worse: there are always some people who say "why stay at home in Limerick or Headford or Cork or whatever - where people make me take responsibility for the consequences of my actions - when I can cruise up to Galway, get free food, and get by sleeping rough." (they might not use those words, but it's the basic pattern).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Sleeping rough in Galway weather is not something I would wish on anyone. I'd say any that 'chose' it would cop on fairly quickly.
    Some people make bad choices and can't get out of the hole without a helping hand. I wouldn't begrudge anyone a hot meal, whether poor, alcoholic, junkie whatever.

Do ye really think it will attract homeless people to Galway? There are plenty more services like this in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I think it's a great idea, the current infrastructure means that groups like the simon community are over stretched, they do a greta job but there is only so much they actually can do.

This idea is great, in cork they have Cork Penny Dinners and the numerous soup kitchens around Dublin.

This will in no way adversely affect the efforts of other charities and ffs, how could someone having a small meal and a mug of tea be a bad thing?

There are people who do skip meals regularly around these parts to make ends meet and hopefully this will mean they don't have to do that any more.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Sleeping rough in Galway weather is not something I would wish on anyone. I'd say any that 'chose' it would cop on fairly quickly.
    Some people make bad choices and can't get out of the hole without a helping hand. I wouldn't begrudge anyone a hot meal, whether poor, alcoholic, junkie whatever.

Do ye really think it will attract homeless people to Galway? There are plenty more services like this in Dublin.

It's not about begrudging, it's about delivering services in a way that really does offer a hand-up, rather than a handout.

And yes, I really do think it would attract people. I've enquired before why Galway has such a high level of services for its population, and apparently the answer is that Galway is already a magnet town - sure it's a grand place to be down and out - party town, with lots of tourists to beg from.

Re the folks skipping meals to make ends meet: they need advocacy to make sure they're getting their benefit and housing entitlements, budgeting and shopping help to make good use of those entitlements - and if all that fails (there are some who fall through the rules), donated materials so they can make their own meals. Just giving them cooked food lets the welfare system off the hook, and creates more dependency.

Soup kitchens have their place, but I just don't see Galway as large enough to need one.

It's not about begrudging, it's about delivering services in a way that really does offer a hand-up, rather than a handout.

And yes, I really do think it would attract people. I've enquired before why Galway has such a high level of services for its population, and apparently the answer is that Galway is already a magnet town - sure it's a grand place to be down and out - party town, with lots of tourists to beg from.

Re the folks skipping meals to make ends meet: they need advocacy to make sure they're getting their benefit and housing entitlements, budgeting and shopping help to make good use of those entitlements - and if all that fails (there are some who fall through the rules), donated materials so they can make their own meals. Just giving them cooked food lets the welfare system off the hook, and creates more dependency.

Soup kitchens have their place, but I just don't see Galway as large enough to need one.

I was speaking personally when I said about not begrudging anyone re a bowl of soup. Honestly I still disagree - I don't think a bowl of stew a day is enough to attract anyone to Galway. If people are donating soup then great! If people can throw in a few quid, then great. The 'pay what you can' model works better here than most places (could it be Catholic guilt?).;)

Food not bombs fed people for a good while and there was no problem. They simply got food that would have been tossed and gave it to people. No questions asked, just food. I don't think they do it here anymore, but they do it in other places. Anything that recycles and isn't wasteful is ok in my book.

I do agree with your points about needing infrastructure, but I also think larger cities, with such infrastructure and possibilities for the homeless are way more likely to draw people. From chatting to someone who works in the 'services' Galway apparently now has the reputation of being 'hardass' in terms of the social welfare, rent allowance etc. I think 20 years ago I would have agreed with you more about Galway being an easier place to be unemployed (more arty people per capita etc) but now I don't think so. No more signing on from your tent in the swamp!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Well the guy who set up the soup kitchen hearts sure is in the right place, Fair play to him.

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Galway reminds me a bit of Vancouver in that respect. Both are magnet cities (though I haven't been in Vancouver lately so I can't tell you how if it's changed the past few years) because they're on the West coast and yes, it rains but it's milder than other parts of the country. So people may find it 'easier' to manage for a while.

Over the last week, I've seen two people sitting begging around Eyre Square with 'homeless & hungry' signs and I wouldn't be surprised if there were more over the next few months. Going on face value, it would seem that there is need for such a soup kitchen.

LucyBliss wrote: »
    Over the last week, I've seen two people sitting begging around Eyre Square with 'homeless & hungry' signs ...

Don't believe everything you read on a sign.

Just sayin' like.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

That's why I said, 'going on face value'. I'm not that naive. ;)

LucyBliss wrote: »
    Galway reminds me a bit of Vancouver in that respect. Both are magnet cities (though I haven't been in Vancouver lately so I can't tell you how if it's changed the past few years) because they're on the West coast and yes, it rains but it's milder than other parts of the country. So people may find it 'easier' to manage for a while.

Vancouver BC actually popped into my mind when I was thinking about the 'migration' of homeless, junkies etc to one part of a country to another, but in a way it strengthened my belief that this is *not* happening in Galway.

BC has an infrastructure of support that is often not found in smaller regions of Canada. The weather there is *significantly* an improvement for those who sleep outdoors, particularly in winter, when many parts of Canada is well below freezing. BC (although having some rain) is *way* milder, with warm summers.

This is *not* the case for Galway. We all know how much sh*tter the rain and wind is on the West coast than S/SE/E. If I were sleeping rough, give me Dublin or Cork anyday! Dublin has much better infrastructure, as does Cork for example. I love Galway, but Vancouver actually has proper summers!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

apparently the main focus right now is getting people aware of the existence of the place.
    Did occur to me that maybe getting a food not bombs like stall outside of Lynch's Castle a couple of times, which I think has been suggested being revived anyway might be an idea. Food not bombs had its own reasons for being but could raise awareness and be telling people that there is a service going on 6 days a week down on the docks.
    Not sure what the story is on supply of the docks place since Food not bombs was relying on donations of food that would otherwise be going to waste at the end of the week. Heard that docks place relied on donations of food to some extent too so wasn't sure if that would have meant an overlap.

Just think I'd heard somebody was thinking of reviving Food not Bombs and thought it could serve yet another purpose.

It has been suggested that a poster campaign for the place might work too.
    But definitely getting word of mouth spread as much as possible would be ideal. Also getting donations to the place going in. Plus doing whatever it takes to remove the stigma of eating in a soup kitchen, heard it suggested that getting the man in the street to eat in there might help but could see that being abused, to it just being seen as a cheap place to eat and not donate to.
    Heard that food is cooked by an out of work chef so food should be pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭thenakedchef

Correct me if i am wrong but is this service offering free meals to people who cant afford it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Dunno. I presume they have a means test form to fill out on entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

From what I was told there are no questions asked and supposedly no weird looks given but the fact of it being a free food service may mean it carries a stigma to people. So somebody I was talking to was suggesting trying to get it better known and normalised by getting people to eat there and leave large donations.

But yeah, free food paid for by donation was what I understood.
    I might understand the supply wrong though.

& its not a massive place from what I've seen of it. It took over the garage just up from the docks. So I got to look in when I was looking for the job fair on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Geddie1

Hi, does anyone know where Twist Soup Kitchen is on the docks in Galway city? I want to volunteer there during Christmas but I can't find it. It's run by Oliver Williams but none of the articles I've read about him display any contact details and I can't find any phone number on 11850 or the net? I drove down by the docks a number of times looking for it to no avail..! Anyone??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Google is generally a good place to start.

http://www.twistsoupkitchen.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,439 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Turn left at very bottom of Eyre Sq. Go straight down to Victoria Hotel. Turn right at end and its a few doors up near the hostel.

Pretty much directly across the road from number 3 on the Docks neighbourhood map.

Last time I looked, there was no signage outside when it's closed, which may be why you couldn't spot it.

Hint: if they ask you to hold a collection bucket on Shop St, make sure you have the right permit on you. I saw the guards taking a collection bucket off someone the other week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

This guy is getting alot of coverage whats his background?

bigpink wrote: »
    This guy is getting alot of coverage whats his background?
    Pop down and ask him. Make sure to donate some food.

Im in Limerick!!Wondering was he some secret millionare type

Call him.
    Google for the establishment. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some info there on the webpage.

So long as its about the charity and service im happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Popped in there last week with the girls from slimming world. We dropped in a few boxes of food. They were delighted to be given the stuff. We were given cups of tea and coffee straight away. We were told it's all donations and voluntary. There's a butcher somewhere in town who gives them meat as well, which is brilliant! they have a little table set up near the door for anyone who may be too shy or embarrassed to pop in and ask for something to eat. There's another Twist after opening up in Athlone I think too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement