Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twist Soup Kitchen on the docks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

Well the guy who set up the soup kitchen hearts sure is in the right place, Fair play to him.

Fair play to the guy who set up the soup kitchen.
    I have heard nothing but good about this.
    I donated a few bob online - this is the link
    I hear he has also setup one in Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

bigpink wrote: »
    This guy is getting alot of coverage whats his background?

A little google helps, there's a fair few articles around about this and there was a piece about it on RTE news sometime earlier this year.

Anyhow, here's a bit from thejournal.ie
    It transpires that Williams set up this soup kitchen after being on the receiving end of help from one in another country.
    Many years ago when I was 15 I left home from rural Ireland and found myself on the streets of London. I had no place to stay and I found a place called Centrepoint in Soho.”

There, he was provided with “a hot meal, a bed and good advice.” It put him on a good track when he could have gone down a bad one at such a young age, he said.

Williams, who said he has “always been a giver”, never forgot the gift that this centre gave to him when he was a young man at a time of need. Having returned to Ireland around 15 years ago, he was here to experience the recession when the Celtic Tiger days came to an end in his home country.

A qualified pilot, he operated a helicopter at the height of the boom, but his job was a victim of the economic collapse. Williams became aware that “people were not cutting it with money” in Ireland, especially single mothers with children; that surveys showed homes were short of food; and that children were going to school hungry.

Instead of sitting back and waiting for things to right themselves, he was inspired by his own experience to start a soup kitchen of his own – and Twist was opened in Galway in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

I drive that way home every day and there's always someone out with a bucket looking for donations, except for the day there was a patrol car behind me and the collectors disappeared inside.

Bit annoying to be honest, having someone at the car window every day looking for change.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

pudgeydev wrote: »
    I drive that way home every day and there's always someone out with a bucket looking for donations, except for the day there was a patrol car behind me and the collectors disappeared inside.

Bit annoying to be honest, having someone at the car window every day looking for change.

I have seen their bucket collectors disappear at the sight of Gardai as well. Maybe their permits aren't up to date

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe they don't want to risk trying out the new 'aggressive begging' law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/575193_444071388982442_560362787_n.jpg

One of tomorrows headlines, stating city planners have ordered them to cease operating? Seems a bit unfair, I hope they dont go down without a fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Shanley wrote: »
    http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/575193_444071388982442_560362787_n.jpg

One of tomorrows headlines, stating city planners have ordered them to cease operating? Seems a bit unfair, I hope they dont go down without a fight!

I'd love to hear what justification they have for that...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'd imagine that the premises doesn't have a permit to serve food and hasn't been passed as fit for the use by health and safety. That said, I am sure his truck has.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

PomBear wrote: »

I'd love to hear what justification they have for that...

Everyone else has to have planning, and a cert from the health inspector to serve food. No different for these lads.

Everyone else has to have planning, and a cert from the health inspector to serve food. No different for these lads.

Well, planning wouldn't be an issue, they are operating out of a truck inside the building. They might need a permit for the canopy they have pitched inside.

As for heath and safety, I'd be almost certain he's had the truck approved, it's not hard to do and costs little or nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

no thats wrong. i serve food at home to family and friends, i dont need a cert from health and safety.
    you need a cert if you SELL food.

swiftman wrote: »
    no thats wrong. i serve food at home to family and friends, i dont need a cert from health and safety.
    you need a cert if you SELL food.

If you are handing out food to the public you have to have a cert. from environmental health and safety and have been inspected by a HSE inspector.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Well, planning wouldn't be an issue, they are operating out of a truck inside the building. They might need a permit for the canopy they have pitched inside.

As for heath and safety, I'd be almost certain he's had the truck approved, it's not hard to do and costs little or nothing.

The building's being used for a different purpose from what it's approved for, though. I've seen shops needs to get planning to change from a clothing shop to a cafe, can't see how this would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I have my reservations about Twist Soup kitchens

1) I think they enable addiction. Many people from Charities such as Simon Community have spoken about this. They believe that if a person has to use a soup kitchen then they're spending their money on the wrong things

2) I believe that the groups that are most in need are families, who mostly live in the suburbs. Food parcels (although I suspect its fuel and heating that's needed more) are more practical than getting the bus into town with the kids (the price of bus fares:eek:) for dinner

3) Many non-profit agencies do courses on money management, cooking, environment (insulating your home) etc. so that folk can live within their modest means

4) We have one of the most generous social welfare systems in the world.

5) I'm not talking off the top of my head, I was on welfare for years (and I was really grateful it was there) and did those courses.

6) I'm happy to be a tax payer now (yes you heard right), and pay back to the country who supported me. I don't believe any tax payer should feel guilty when they do not support Twist's bucket shakers

Many people feel that it suits many drug dealers that Twist exists and actively seek out it's Clients. I guess if drug dealing were one's business, then Twist would allow ones client significantly more disposable income to spend on their drugs

Greaney wrote: »

1) I think they enable addiction. Many people from Charities such as Simon Community have spoken about this. They believe that if a person has to use a soup kitchen then they're spending their money on the wrong things

Links please because I know for a fact that The Simon Community have openly praised Cork Penny Dinners and Capuchin Day Centre in Dublin and have even helped them at times.

This is a nonsensical opinion I've seen spouted by a lot of people and I've never seen any study that backs it up.
    2) I believe that the groups that are most in need are families, who mostly live in the suburbs. Food parcels (although I suspect its fuel and heating that's needed more) are more practical than getting the bus into town with the kids (the price of bus fares:eek:) for dinner

Soup kitchens don't exist to meet families daily food needs, they exist as a stopgap to provide a meal when needed to individuals and they provide a much needed service to a lot of people in this country who are neither junkies or addicts as well as homeless and addicted people.

3) Many non-profit agencies do courses on money management, cooking, environment (insulating your home) etc. so that folk can live within their modest means

This is irrelevant, truth is that some people, no matter how well they manage their finances, will have times when they just have too much month at the end of their money and after paying bills and rent/mortgage. For a lot of people one unexpected expense can totally wipe out their budget (being ill and having to pay for doctors visit and meds). There is no ideal world where if you're careful about what you buy you'll always be grand, **** happens.

4) We have one of the most generous social welfare systems in the world.
    We also have one of the highest costs of living in the world.

5) I'm not talking off the top of my head, I was on welfare for years (and I was really grateful it was there) and did those courses.

Well, I'm glad everything went well for you and you never had to skip meals to make ends meet, but not everyone is so lucky.

6) I'm happy to be a tax payer now (yes you heard right), and pay back to the country who supported me. I don't believe any tax payer should feel guilty when they do not support Twist's bucket shakers

I don't think anyone thinks you should feel guilty, if you decide not to support that's your business, taking offence to it is also your problem.
    Many people feel that it suits many drug dealers that Twist exists and actively seek out it's Clients. I guess if drug dealing were one's business, then Twist would allow ones client significantly more disposable income to spend on their drugs

Absolute nonsense. Like something you'd hear on the joe duffy show, I'm not even going to bother addressing this rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Its not just addiction. There are a huge range of people that would use a service like this, unexpected illness, waiting for benefits to come through, a house expense like flood damage are all reasons why someone might skip a meal and be glad of this service.

As for addiction, if someone is out looking to score and are 'sick' - the last thing on their mind is food. They don't think "hmm will I buy my bag of smack, OR a burger and chips....difficult one...oh ok smack it is so!"
    I would rather see someone who is in that awful place of addiction get a hot meal than not. I honestly don't think a bowl of food is enabling them, because if that's the logic then the whole welfare system would be changed so that any gamblers, overeaters, drinkers or smokers would be excluded from benefits, and that's nuts!

Greaney you make valid points about support systems, and teaching people to help themselves, and of course that's vital, but I don't think the soup kitchen is damaging our society tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Odd that other charities, the Gardai, councillors *and* planners want to see Twist closed.

Odd that other charities, the Gardai, councillors *and* planners want to see Twist closed.

The planning issue is just the building it's in, they don't actually give a toss that the service exists. He just has to apply for a change of use.

I've not seen any other charities saying they wanted it closed and as for councillors, well, the standard in galway isn't very high, is it? One of that shower or loodramons actually thought his Taxi's dispatch service was able the change the colour of traffic lights ffs, they are a bunch of brainless tools.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Links please because I know for a fact that The Simon Community have openly praised Cork Penny Dinners and Capuchin Day Centre in Dublin and have even helped them at times.

This is a nonsensical opinion I've seen spouted by a lot of people and I've never seen any study that backs it up.

Soup kitchens don't exist to meet families daily food needs, they exist as a stopgap to provide a meal when needed to individuals and they provide a much needed service to a lot of people in this country who are neither junkies or addicts as well as homeless and addicted people.

This is irrelevant, truth is that some people, no matter how well they manage their finances, will have times when they just have too much month at the end of their money and after paying bills and rent/mortgage. For a lot of people one unexpected expense can totally wipe out their budget (being ill and having to pay for doctors visit and meds). There is no ideal world where if you're careful about what you buy you'll always be grand, **** happens.

We also have one of the highest costs of living in the world.

Well, I'm glad everything went well for you and you never had to skip meals to make ends meet, but not everyone is so lucky.

I don't think anyone thinks you should feel guilty, if you decide not to support that's your business, taking offence to it is also your problem.

Absolute nonsense. Like something you'd hear on the joe duffy show, I'm not even going to bother addressing this rubbish.

I have gone without, and I mean that in the real sense. I have had to register as homeless, I've had to go to bed early and cold so the meter could keep going to keep the fridge running till morning so the baby's milk wouldn't go rotten. Like Simon and others, I do praise The Capuchin Friary (they offer much needed food parcels). I have also, however, a real understanding of addiction. It's a terrifically powerful compulsion that can turn drugs, drink or gambling into a need that's even stronger than hunger.

This thread has been really one sided and I thought it important to address that. We have a history in Ireland to identify with underdog. That's a worthy thing however if we don't question why they got there in the first place we're not doing anyone any favours.

. That's a worthy thing however if we don't question why they got there in the first place we're not doing anyone any favours.

I hear you point, but if someone is hungry they are hungry! A two pronged (at least) approach is what's needed, not taking the bowl of soup away when they have hit a low, regardless of how they got there.

I'd rather a percentage of 'chancers' got a free meal, along with the rest, than see people who otherwise wouldn't eat that meal, go hungry.

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »
    Its not just addiction. There are a huge range of people that would use a service like this, unexpected illness, waiting for benefits to come through, a house expense like flood damage are all reasons why someone might skip a meal and be glad of this service.

As for addiction, if someone is out looking to score and are 'sick' - the last thing on their mind is food. They don't think "hmm will I buy my bag of smack, OR a burger and chips....difficult one...oh ok smack it is so!"
    I would rather see someone who is in that awful place of addiction get a hot meal than not. I honestly don't think a bowl of food is enabling them, because if that's the logic then the whole welfare system would be changed so that any gamblers, overeaters, drinkers or smokers would be excluded from benefits, and that's nuts!

Greaney you make valid points about support systems, and teaching people to help themselves, and of course that's vital, but I don't think the soup kitchen is damaging our society tbh.

Thank you for a more cool headed reply. With regard to my opinions, I have been listening very carefully to all sides of the story and there have been many people who've worked with homeless charities who have expressed personally there reservations. I didn't see these points brought up in the thread at all.

You've made some valid points about flood damage etc ... Our communities in Ireland are pretty close mind, so when one is in need one usually has a good social network in place (but not always). I do believe somone with an addiction should have food, I wouldn't be so callous as to say they shouldn't, but making those choices more immediate to the addict may allow them to hit 'rock bottom' so they can see their predicament clearly and see their need for recovery. In other words, 'do I get another bottle of such 'n such or do I need dinner?'.

I think Ireland is a very different country from the USA where soup kitchens are more prevelant. They do not have the social welfare system we have and displacement is much more of a reality.

I wouldn't be so callous as to say they shouldn't, but making those choices more immediate to the addict may allow them to hit 'rock bottom' so they can see their predicament clearly and see their need for recovery. In other words, 'do I get another bottle of such 'n such or do I need dinner?'.

I think Ireland is a very different country from the USA where soup kitchens are more prevelant. They do not have the social welfare system we have and displacement is much more of a reality.

Depending on their addiction, if they are at the point where it's the choice between the food and the drug it ISN'T a choice though. Their body will go into withdrawal and they will experience pain worse than a hunger pain. That was my point. Unfortunately rock bottom is often way beyond skipping meals to the point where damage to the body from malnutrition is done.

We do have a higher amount for welfare, but we have all heard in the news about the rent allowance issue (it always went on but on a much smaller scale) where people cannot find a place under the rent allowance cap. If they are lucky enough, they can get a landlord to say they are paying less (illegal but quite common) and pay them the difference out of their 'regular' money.

The comparison with the US is interesting. And given our financial trajectory towards a borrow economy, and polarised income levels, we might not be far off soon in similarity! In the US it really depends what area you live in and knowing what services are there. Some parts of the country have little or no additional support systems, particularly rural areas.
    There IS welfare in the US but it is much lower than here. There is no separate rent allowance, so you get what you get. What is different is food stamps. People get a card like a laser with food money per month. It can only be spent on food, and in fact not even on certain items like bottled water, hot food from the deli, or things like soap. They switched it to a card as the food 'stamps' were being abused by a small amount of people (there was trade getting 50c on a dollar food stamp!). But anyone remember the butter vouchers here? Where certain shops took them for any food, and the odd one, for cigarettes!?

Some say the food card system is preferable to a money-based welfare system, in terms of enabling people. It's hard to believe we are all even having this conversation, considering what we've let happen to our own country tbh.

I'm totally with Greany on this one.

There's an interesting quote from the founder in post 33. He says
    There, he was provided with “a hot meal, a bed and good advice.” It put him on a good track when he could have gone down a bad one at such a young age, he said.

The key point there is that he got a comprehensive service, not just a meal that was disconnected from other support services. Handing out food without looking at why the person is hungry and helping them sort out the underlying problems is simply enabling the underlying problem.

I agree that there are gaps in our welfare system, but mainly they affect low-paid workers who mostly won't be around to avail of Twist's daytime service anyway, or migrants who don't qualify for welfare (and the Irish govt will pay for travel home for them).

As for the other examples listed: flooding - VdP does food parcels. Waiting for the benefit to come thru - CWO. Unexpected illness - if you're poor, you'll have a medical card anyway.

I'm totally with Greany on this one.

There's an interesting quote from the founder in post 33. He says

The key point there is that he got a comprehensive service, not just a meal that was disconnected from other support services. Handing out food without looking at why the person is hungry and helping them sort out the underlying problems is simply enabling the underlying problem.

I agree that there are gaps in our welfare system, but mainly they affect low-paid workers who mostly won't be around to avail of Twist's daytime service anyway, or migrants who don't qualify for welfare (and the Irish govt will pay for travel home for them).

As for the other examples listed: flooding - VdP does food parcels. Waiting for the benefit to come thru - CWO. Unexpected illness - if you're poor, you'll have a medical card anyway.

I don't think anyone is disputing that a comprehensive service is the way to go (maybe they are?) but the fact is that there are not always enough beds to go around on a given night for the homeless. I know of one person who is having difficulty getting a medical card (entitled to one but application bogged down in red tape) she has a sick child, and it is literally taking all her time to try to mind her child, sort this, and accommodation issues out.
    You mention going to the CWO to get interim help, well that, to be honest is a roll of the dice with who you get. People do still get turned away, whether outside their rights or not! Coming back in saying the same thing every day for a week, that's well known in Galway.
    I still think expanding on services rather than taking away a bowl of soup in town is the answer.
    Unfortunately there are more and more people close to the breadline, and there isn't the funding to expand essential services. If businesses can donate food to make a hot meal, then more power to them. It would be interesting to see how much 'wastage' from business is donated. A friend ran a food programme in the States and got food donated at the end of the day from large and small businesses. This was food that would go in a bin. I'd rather see someone eat it than it go in a bin. Because of health and safety shops aren't allowed to give away food to the public at the end of the day. They can't sell it for 'a penny' either as they'd be taken advantage of that way.

Who donates to SVdeP? I know they give Dunnes Stores vouchers out, are Dunnes donating these, or do SVdeP buy them for a deal does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Most , if not all Low Threshold charities work on a Harm Reduction theory that accepts people at no matter what stage they are at with addiction ,homelessness etc while looking to reduce risk in their lives without looking for any abstainence or reduction in their behaviour.

So to suggest that they enable addiction is a little disingenuous bearing in mind Simon themselves operate a needle exchange, not to enable addiction but to promote healthier behaviour.

I don't think anyone is disputing that a comprehensive service is the way to go (maybe they are?) but the fact is that there are not always enough beds to go around on a given night for the homeless. I know of one person who is having difficulty getting a medical card (entitled to one but application bogged down in red tape) she has a sick child, and it is literally taking all her time to try to mind her child, sort this, and accommodation issues out.
    You mention going to the CWO to get interim help, well that, to be honest is a roll of the dice with who you get. People do still get turned away, whether outside their rights or not! Coming back in saying the same thing every day for a week, that's well known in Galway.
    I still think expanding on services rather than taking away a bowl of soup in town is the answer.
    Unfortunately there are more and more people close to the breadline, and there isn't the funding to expand essential services. If businesses can donate food to make a hot meal, then more power to them. It would be interesting to see how much 'wastage' from business is donated. A friend ran a food programme in the States and got food donated at the end of the day from large and small businesses. This was food that would go in a bin. I'd rather see someone eat it than it go in a bin. Because of health and safety shops aren't allowed to give away food to the public at the end of the day. They can't sell it for 'a penny' either as they'd be taken advantage of that way.

Who donates to SVdeP? I know they give Dunnes Stores vouchers out, are Dunnes donating these, or do SVdeP buy them for a deal does anyone know?

A lot of institutions and bodies give donations to charities during the year , the likes Bord Na Mona,Bord Gais , ESB etc all donate in some way either cash or a product.I've seen the Dunnes vouchers but I'm not sure how they are financed though I do know they can be only used for groceries and household goods.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Working for a charitable agency in Galway, there isn't really a good word to be said about this particular soup kitchen, and perhaps people need to ask the question, why would other charities/organisations want this place closed, when it supposedly helps the same people that they try to help? There's something not right and if it comes out, it comes out.

I'm interested in the 'red tape' end of things with that med card application because as far as I know the huge backlogs have been cleared , sometimes the issue can be with the applicant filling out forms arseways etc.
    Some charities can advocate on her behalf particularly if there is an ill child and an accommodation issue.
    I think the waiting time for a card is less than a month now.

Some CWO's are brilliant , others are sigh.

mattjack wrote: »
    I'm interested in the 'red tape' end of things with that med card application because as far as I know the huge backlogs have been cleared , sometimes the issue can be with the applicant filling out forms arseways etc.
    Some charities can advocate on her behalf particularly if there is an ill child and an accommodation issue.
    I think the waiting time for a card is less than a month now.

Some CWO's are brilliant , others are sigh.

It was to do with part time employment and eligibility, I don't know all the details. I believe there is a charity now helping her with the situation, on advice of a neighbour. Sometimes it's that month that's the kicker though, waiting for a card. If someone is down to their last few bob, waiting for this or that or wages, even a week can be a nightmare.

• Advertisement

Working for a charitable agency in Galway, there isn't really a good word to be said about this particular soup kitchen, and perhaps people need to ask the question, why would other charities/organisations want this place closed, when it supposedly helps the same people that they try to help? There's something not right and if it comes out, it comes out.

Do you know why that is yourself? I understand if you do and can't say for legal reasons, but is it that something in particular is seen as amiss, or just the type of place?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement