Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twist Soup Kitchen on the docks

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

There are a couple things in particular that people have a problem with, yes, but its not something I would be throwing around on here. Sorry if that seems silly, but as I said, if it comes out, it comes out, but I know where I stand on it anyway. The fact that groups in the community want it closed should be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

There are a couple things in particular that people have a problem with, yes, but its not something I would be throwing around on here. Sorry if that seems silly, but as I said, if it comes out, it comes out, but I know where I stand on it anyway. The fact that groups in the community want it closed should be enough.

Fair enough, I figured that if might not be something for boards, but without specifics it's hard to hear that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Seaneh wrote: »
    The planning issue is just the building it's in, they don't actually give a toss that the service exists. He just has to apply for a change of use.

I've not seen any other charities saying they wanted it closed and as for councillors, well, the standard in galway isn't very high, is it? One of that shower or loodramons actually thought his Taxi's dispatch service was able the change the colour of traffic lights ffs, they are a bunch of brainless tools.

OT, but that taxi driver was correct, the Council admitted as much and made the hardware changes at certain lights.

OT, but that taxi driver was correct, the Council admitted as much and made the hardware changes at certain lights.

Pedestrian lights only.
    Which are usually green anyway, and wouldn't be a very good idea to change and drive through since you're talking about someone being on the road while they're red.

Pedestrian lights only.
    Which are usually green anyway, and wouldn't be a very good idea to change and drive through since you're talking about someone being on the road while they're red.

Agreed. My post was purely on a point of clarification. If you're going to take a swipe at councillors, people should at least get their facts right. Sorry for going off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

PM me the details?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

No, the council started an "investigation" into it after batty auld Frank raised his "concern" during a council meeting. They never found anything because (1) pedestrian light systems do not have a receiver and (2) the units used by the taxi firm in question (and any other taxi firm in Ireland) do not have a transmitter that could interact with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

No, the council started an "investigation" into it after batty auld Frank raised his "concern" during a council meeting. They never found anything because (1) pedestrian light systems do not have a receiver and (2) the units used by the taxi firm in question (and any other taxi firm in Ireland) do not have a transmitter that could interact with each other.

They wouldn't need to have a receiver, electrical interference caused by the signals can cause it if the signal is string enough and the logic boards interpret the signal as a valid command.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Oliver was being interviewed on the wireless recently and he referred to the fact that when he started, all the agencies involved in homelessness/marginalisation welcomed his venture. Now it is not the case. He wouldn't elaborate.

The members of the Homeless Forum in Galway include
    Brothers of Charity, Cope, Cuan Mhuire, Galway City Council, Galway Simon Community, Galway Youth Diocesan Services, HSE, Multiple Sclerosis of Society Ireland, Respond, Garda Síochána, Society of St. Vincent De Paul, Threshold.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Oliver was being interviewed on the wireless recently and he referred to the fact that when he started, all the agencies involved in homelessness/marginalisation welcomed his venture. Now it is not the case.

I'd hazard a guess that it's been a bit too successful, people are seeing something visibly successful and supporting it to the detriment of other organisations.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'd wager it's a bit more complex than that anto.

antoobrien wrote: »
    They wouldn't need to have a receiver, electrical interference caused by the signals can cause it if the signal is string enough and the logic boards interpret the signal as a valid command.

This is highly unlikely to be the reality though, let's be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

A close friend of mine was going to volunteer recently there. Was warned off by some people in the know in the town as she researched where best her help would be suited too. They didn't give her a reason. I don't have an opinion on it myself. Is something suspicious just because others say so without giving a reason as to why they hold these beliefs ?

This is highly unlikely to be the reality though, let's be honest.

Not really, there are lots of electronic equipment (not necessarily consumer electronics) sold with, at least some, shielding built in to prevent stray signals from causing something untoward.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Not really, there are lots of electronic equipment (not necessarily consumer electronics) sold with, at least some, shielding built in to prevent stray signals from causing something untoward.

You honestly believe that a lad in a taxi several yards away, by hitting his "accept callout" button on his call out system was actually able to change pedestrian lights?

Come off it.

You honestly believe that a lad in a taxi several yards away, by hitting his "accept callout" button on his call out system was actually able to change pedestrian lights?

Come off it.

We're dragging this severely o.t. but yes it's possible.

A rhetorical question: Why is the use of many mobile phones & electronic devices banned on airlines?

The answer - in theory many of the instruments might be affected by stray electronic (they don't necessarily have receivers that should be able to interpret the signals either), so instead of testing every device to ensure standards they put in place a blanket ban.

The Galway Transportation Unit admitted at the time that the taxis were having an effect on the push-button of pedestrian lights through electronic interference.

Saw someone in a Twist Soup Kitchen hi vis jacket being spoken to/walked away by the Gardai today off shop street. She had a bucket so I would imagine she was collecting money.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

See the Advertiser today? Two guys ordered to pay 100euro each to charity for collecting on behalf of Twist? (The havent got charity status yet!)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJpedro

Hi,

I have been told that street collectors for Twist get 25% commission, I am sure that those two from Tuam that were arrested were getting paid. This is the same situation with those street collectors who collect for Astma etc , I saw two of them standing outside HMV hounding everyone passing. They are supposed to sell scratch cards , sometimes people give them money without getting a card, this should not be allowed , their job is to sell cards not to accept donations.
    This is not to take way from the good work Twist do, I would prefer to give donation directly without someone getting 25% commission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

There are now nearly as many charity collectors on shop street as there are shoppers. And the city was worried about the image winos would give during the Volvo Ocean race.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JJpedro wrote: »
    I would prefer to give donation directly without someone getting 25% commission.

I'm sure we all would.

But I'm not prepared to work without getting paid for it. And I don't expect other people to either - whether they're fundraisers, social-care workers (and their supporting cooks, cleaners, building-maintenance people, etc), nurses, whatever.

Now that's not to say I support the 25% idea, or doing charity collections without a license. But I know that the non-profits that make the biggest difference have paid staff.

Shanley wrote: »
    The havent got charity status yet!

No such thing.

They didn't have a permit to collect, which is why they were stopped, nothing to do with their status as a non-profit.

No such thing.

They didn't have a permit to collect, which is why they were stopped, nothing to do with their status as a non-profit.

Of course there's such thing. Charitable status, recognised by Revenue.

Of course there's such thing. Charitable status, recognised by Revenue.

Any non-profit can apply for charitable tax exemption, but there is no such thing as a registered charity in Ireland. Twist are in the process of being granted charitable tax exemption by Revenue, it can take a stupidly long time to be processed, you have to provide a lot of paperwork and it's an ongoing process, not filling out one form and getting it stamped.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/faqs-charities.html#section1

I'm sure we all would.

But I'm not prepared to work without getting paid for it. And I don't expect other people to either - whether they're fundraisers, social-care workers (and their supporting cooks, cleaners, building-maintenance people, etc), nurses, whatever.

Now that's not to say I support the 25% idea, or doing charity collections without a license. But I know that the non-profits that make the biggest difference have paid staff.

Yep, true, but not paid staff in this sense.

Galway has a great sense of volunteering, and some people just do it out of the good of their hearts, and don't look for a percentage of the money people think is going into an organisations pockets to do so. Do you think there should be no volunteers in the world, full stop? Of course in an ideal world, everyone would be paid for the work that they do, but lots of organisations simply don't have the funds to pay staff, and have lots of volunteers who will help them with fundraising events, and done so in the proper manner, and through the proper channels, without sending people out into the street with absolutely no idea that they risk being prosecuted for it!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Any non-profit can apply for charitable tax exemption, but there is no such thing as a registered charity in Ireland. Twist are in the process of being granted charitable tax exemption by Revenue, it can take a stupidly long time to be processed, you have to provide a lot of paperwork and it's an ongoing process, not filling out one form and getting it stamped.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/faqs-charities.html#section1
    You can thank Eamon O'Cuiv's bizarre non-enactment of most of the Charities Act for their being no registered charities in Ireland.

He was only concerned with enacting the sections concerning mass cards...

Robbo wrote: »
    You can thank Eamon O'Cuiv's bizarre non-enactment of most of the Charities Act for their being no registered charities in Ireland.

He was only concerned with enacting the sections concerning mass cards...

Aye, it was due to come in about 2 years ago or something, but never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I know from years ago that ISPCC for example, gave a third to collectors on a lot of drives. They were transparent about this fact. A third to collectors, a third to admin and a third directly to the client. They had a ton of college students, older people, people from all walks of life out collecting. And that wasn't just for the bucket collections, that was for the door to door envelope collection too. The sheer volume of collectors for them made up for the percentage. Again that was years ago, and they were one of the more agressive charities collecting at the time. Now there seems to be way more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Teabreak

“Another consequence of addiction problems, is challenging, antisocial and drunken behaviour. Our customers are often made to feel uncomfortable and threatened,” said Mr O’Boyle.

What a sad day when all the poor people are called antisocial by a garage that park there cars on footpaths and have no care for the disable and the blind who have to walk on the paths, now they want the soup kitchen to go away. how sad

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement