Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twist Soup Kitchen on the docks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Teabreak

Full artical
    The owner of a city business has claimed customers feel threatened by a charity soup kitchen operating next door, which is also ‘damaging’ Galway’s tourism sector.

<snip, please don't post full articles. Here is link instead:
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/29991-soup-kitchen-users-%E2%80%98not-control-their-faculties%E2%80%99>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Teabreak wrote: »
    Daily, we see people, not in control of their faculties, unaware of traffic and hazards around them.

“Another consequence of addiction problems, is challenging, antisocial and drunken behaviour. Our customers are often made to feel uncomfortable and threatened,” said Mr O’Boyle.

Oh ffs
    I take it all businesses in the proximity of certain pubs will soon be objecting to the pubs too if that's the case. :rolleyes:

"Mr O’Boyle questioned the efficacy of a food kitchen operating next door to a vehicle sales and servicing garage with constant movement of vehicles and the use of abrasives, chemicals and petroleum-based oils".

Best they shut this Garage down as the public walk pass its front door each day and are at risk from all these toxin, close the garage I say

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In fairness, a garage probably wouldn't get planning permission to set up there now.

But they're an existing business, so they've got some prior rights. The "soup kitchen" is the one that set up illegally, in a location that's not particularly suitable, and started sending unlicensed charity collectors out into the streets while provided a service that's disconnected from the other social service agencies in town.

I know where my sympathies lie. And that was before I saw the ego-sized photo in the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

And that was before I saw the ego-sized photo in the paper.

Missed the article, which paper?

• Advertisement

Fairness.... so they can park cars on the foot path and have no regard for the disable. and so what if this guy had his photo on a paper he is giving help to people that need a little hand out, buy yes they should be controlled if they are collecting money without a permit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Teabreak wrote: »
    they can park cars on the foot path and have no regard for the disable.

I was going to make a similar point.

The owners of the business in question complain about "antisocial behaviour" and people being "unaware of traffic and hazards", yet they have vehicles illegally parked outside their premises on a regular basis.

They're not the only offenders, mind you.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Missed the article, which paper?

Galway Indo, page 6

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Twist appears to have closed down, passed by a few times ,no signs doors shut it has not been open for the past while, I dont recall hearing anything about it closing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Pool4Life

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Twist appears to have closed down, passed by a few times ,no signs doors shut it has not been open for the past while, I dont recall hearing anything about it closing down.
    They have moved to flood street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭captain wow

Does anybody know if the twist soup kitchen that was on the docks next to VP motors has closed down for good or just moved to a new location?? I went down there yesterday and it was closed

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

All is revealed in the above thread ;)

biko wrote: »
    All is revealed in the above thread ;)

Not quite - try this: http://www.galwaynews.ie/31164-oliver-twist-again-new-woodquay-location

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks, seems to be Woodquay now.

Ah Jaysus, the homeless won't be able to find them at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Not without wi-fi anyway...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Where exactly in Woodquay is this outlet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

I heard from someone that they were now operating out of westside, i don't know the exact location though

So, anyone know where they've gone?
    Do disclose

According to a recent Galway Indo article they're operating a mobile service:

http://www.galwayindependent.com/20130828/news/families-forced-to-turn-to-soup-kitchens-S23544.html

I would be curious to hear more about their soup kitchens in "Loughrea, Tuam, Sligo, Roscommon and Athlone", too.

I'm still looking for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

A quick recap: firstly other charities took issue with Mr Williams, then the Gardai, then the City Council and now Judge Mary describes Twist as 'murky'.

http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/1629-twist-in-the-tale-for-soup-kitchen-operator

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

So,
    Anyone know where it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

snubbleste wrote: »
    So,
    Anyone know where it is?

the truck is always gloating around why not just ask him?

the truck is always gloating around why not just ask him?
    Where?
    I've not seen it. What kind of truck, colour, script?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

A quick recap: firstly other charities took issue with Mr Williams, then the Gardai, then the City Council and now Judge Mary describes Twist as 'murky'.

http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/1629-twist-in-the-tale-for-soup-kitchen-operator

Thank you for posting this. I got a hard time on the boards earlier for expressing my reservations about Twist and this article begins to justify it. To have clients of the charity doing illegal bucket collections with forged documentation is really dodgy. Furthermore, they seem to have no understanding of the structure of a charity (how it has to be registered) and why a charity should have it's paperwork in order (fraud!!).

I think there's more to this than is written so far, but until there are legal cases etc., it's just gossip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

Twist soup kitchen regardless of all the bad press,and the fact this guy didnt have his papers in order,is still a much needed service throughout the country..

We dont have the same level of soup kitchen services that for example london or other uk cities would have..

And why not have someone like this operating here,with ambition who wants to expand,i know he was met with a lot of absolute outright vitriol and hostility in ennis(they basically said he didnt have planning permission and even if he did seek planning permission they would still oppose his presnece there,bc they were worried about homeless congregating in ennis) i heard through the grapevine not too long ago but that doesnt mean the guy doesnt have the right intentions..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I understand what your saying however, if any group does illegal collections with forged documents the chances of fraud are huge. That's really serious, and detrimental to all charities.

I don't want to wander off the point but just illustrating how fragile charity giving can be, the scandal that donations to the Central Remedial Clinic are being used to top up senior staffs salaries while services are being cut will have a serious and negative knock on effect on the clients/patients health & care. Put simply, folk will stop donating to charity if they think there is an opportunity for anyone to misappropriate that money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

I understand what your saying however, if any group does illegal collections with forged documents the chances of fraud are huge. That's really serious, and detrimental to all charities.

I don't want to wander off the point but just illustrating how fragile charity giving can be, the scandal that donations to the Central Remedial Clinic are being used to top up senior staffs salaries while services are being cut will have a serious and negative knock on effect on the clients/patients health & care. Put simply, folk will stop donating to charity if they think there is an opportunity for anyone to misappropriate that money.
    I understand what youre saying and take your point,but why should the people at the bottom of the charities,ie the volunteers homeless and disabled take the hit for the mistakes that CEO's make?

Its unfair.But again i understand why people would be dubious about giving money to rehab care or enable ireland etc etc..

Ive worked in charities,and the people that come out worst affected by non donations are the people at the bottom,the people at the top always ensure their salaries are not affected,they are seen as priority given their positions/titles.

But i think people should desist from giving to charities until there is more transparency as to where exactly every penny is going..

Where i worked in rehab care not too long ago they cut costs by hiring free fas workers,unqualified and inexperienced to deal with people with autism who would have frequent outbursts.

All they cared about was redirecting money to the execs,corners were cut everywhere and only 3 paid staff hired,and the company was very top heavy too many chiefs and not enough indians(actual care workers)..

I can see exactly where your coming from on this,ive worked in these situations and i have thought that execs of charities were overpaid,and a lot of funds redirected to them which i didnt think was right..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 JJpedro

I dont see the Tuam lads outside Corbettcourt collecting for Hanly Centre , this is good news , they were supposed to sell scratch cards but people were giving them money without buying a card, also they were going around Quay Street with a bucket saying that they were collecting for the homeless ( Hanly Centre) . I talked to someone involved with Hanly Centre, they dont deal with homeless people just people with addictions.

Also I Saw last Sunday a guy outside Centra supermarket in Foster Street collecting for Irish Lung foundation , He was supposed to sell scratch cards but he was collecting money as well , he is not allowed to have a table with him , I dont know if guards moved him on.
    All these people are giving the local charities a bad name as people are getting mad having to face those people every day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement