Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twist Soup Kitchen on the docks

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Soup kitchens (ie group feeding stations where patrons are fed without taking any responsibility for the food preparation) are pretty demeaning - and provide a recruiting ground for drug dealers. A necessary evil in larger cities, but pretty rare in places the size of Galway (70,000 ish).

The existing charites do a good job of providing support for the genuinely poor in ways that encourage their own coping and self-sufficiency skills: far better to give people food to cook for themselves, than to hand them cooked food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Soup kitchens (ie group feeding stations where patrons are fed without taking any responsibility for the food preparation) are pretty demeaning - and provide a recruiting ground for drug dealers. A necessary evil in larger cities, but pretty rare in places the size of Galway (70,000 ish).

The existing charites do a good job of providing support for the genuinely poor in ways that encourage their own coping and self-sufficiency skills: far better to give people food to cook for themselves, than to hand them cooked food.

I disagree about the food. It's one thing not giving cash because you think an organisation is dodge, but food is a whole other thing. I liked the fact that apparently regular joe could eat or have a tea at twist and leave a donation, or not, so it was a meeting place.
    As for drug dealers, the dole office, school yard, na meeting, pub etc is also a good recruiting ground! They will go wherever, depending on the drug! Don't blame the location for that.
    As Greany pointed out 'known' charities can themselves corrupt. I agree with the notion of upskilling and help but cannot fault a hot meal for a morale boost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

So.
    Galway needs some sort of soup kitchen/Penny Dinners.
    Who will step into the breach?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Well I walked past (what I believe) was a twist van giving out soup and sandwich beside the Simon in Fairgreen last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Well I walked past (what I believe) was a twist van giving out soup and sandwich beside the Simon in Fairgreen last night.

That group is not affiliated with Twist. They are a local christian group called Discovery Church that serve only tea, coffee, soup and sandwiches to the needy from a mobile unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Any idea what he is doing here? Seems a bit strange to me. He is also selling similar in Athlone etc

This place only opened too?

http://www.donedeal.ie/businessopportunities-for-sale/buisness-opportunity/6292774

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

^^ Might not be obvious, but looks like he's selling a shop/business.

Hard to fathom I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

But they are charity shops in 'turnkey' condition, seems a bit strange? Didnt want to post the other ones he has up as they are not in Galway.

These are called Twist but they look like Coffee shops for sale, not charity shops. Are these not different entities?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Is that next door to Javas? Has it even started trading; I haven't noticed it there and I pass by there regularly.

• Advertisement

Fey! wrote: »
    Is that next door to Javas? Has it even started trading; I haven't noticed it there and I pass by there regularly.

Yes, the one next to Javas was trading on Saturday. Regular takeway coffee etc prices as far as i could see. Has the Twist soup kitchen logo and some other branding outside.

Must be the smallest shop unit in Galway.

Yes, the one next to Javas was trading on Saturday. Regular takeway coffee etc prices as far as i could see. Has the Twist soup kitchen logo and some other branding outside.

Must be the smallest shop unit in Galway.

Does it actually say 'soup kitchen' anywhere, or do you mean he just used similar branding as the soup kitchen venture? Bit mad a coffee shop next to Java's although would be faster/different crowd for take aways I'd assume

inisboffin wrote: »
    Does it actually say 'soup kitchen' anywhere, or do you mean he just used similar branding as the soup kitchen venture? Bit mad a coffee shop next to Java's although would be faster/different crowd for take aways I'd assume

Well:

twist-cafe-abbeygate-street-galway-takeaway-coffee-joint.jpg

It says "Twist Coffee Shop".

But on the right hand side, it says "Twist Soup Kitchen Galway", with a Facebook logo and his name and phone number.

So I got the idea that they're trying to give the impression that it's a fund-raiser for the kitchen (true or otherwise - no claims are made).

Of course with this operator there are some interesting questions.

I haven't seen a planning application to turn the shop into a food outlet. (Have seen them on other shops in the area that turned into cafes). Maybe I missed it.

It's a very compact premises. Absolutely no staff area at all. I have no idea whether the health people will find it ok to be selling food when there is no separate hand-wash sink for the staff. Or whether they will have any other issues.

And the menu (photo coming) includes Bailey's Coffee. AFAIK, you have to have an alcohol licence to sell Baileys. But again, I could be wrong.

Jaysus! A Baileys sheebeen!
    There are some (pretty grotty) coffee flavourings now you can get that are just sugar and 'fake' flavour - think a Baileys might be one.

If not it's going to be like certain stalls at Electric Picnic and certain market stalls, where you order 'special' coffee and wink!

Indeed. But for a fiver I'd be wanting more than grotty fake sugar flavouring!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

And the menu (photo coming) includes Bailey's Coffee. AFAIK, you have to have an alcohol licence to sell Baileys. But again, I could be wrong.

Baileys have apparently released a "Baileys Coffee Creamer" in the states, which is non-alco, so no booze license required.

Better not tell mam about this or the cheesecake will be non alcoholic.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Baileys have apparently released a "Baileys Coffee Creamer" in the states, which is non-alco, so no booze license required.

Better not tell mam about this or the cheesecake will be non alcoholic.

Yep. That's the grotty stuff I mentioned! Not to mention the 'knock offs' of it which have been around for ages

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

http://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0202/849650-oliver-williams-sligo/

This will come as absolutely no surprise to anyone that knows this individual.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Bikos going to close this thread down 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 10,439 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Does Murty Rabbits not run a soup kitchen now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Does Murty Rabbits not run a soup kitchen now?

The greatest soup kitchen in all Christendom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Nope. I am!

Thanks for the info, ronnie3585.

Can't see the need for any further discussion in this thread. Feel free to start a new thread about the topic, linking to this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement