Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiling condensed milk in the can

Options
  • 10-11-2012 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking to make banoffee pie. The recipe calls for boiling a can of condensed milk unopened in a pot with water.

It specifically says on the can do not boil the can in water.

Is it still safe to boil the can as long as I don't let the water dry out?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

The risk that the can will explode and spray hot sticky condensed milk on anyone in the room and burn them badly is a small risk, but its not one that I would take. The can has to tell you not to do it because of the risk, even if the risk is small.

Here is a link on how to do it.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5794470_boil-condensed-milk-can.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Unfortunately, we can't give you advice here because we can't be responsible for you following bad advice and problems occurring. I'll have to lock the thread, so all I'll say is that I've never had any problems as long as I watched it very carefully and kept plenty of water in the pot.

Also, you can buy this:

carnation_caramel.jpg

Which is basically the same thing as what you'd get if you boiled it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement