Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackrock Anti Dog Fouling Initiative

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

They should extend it to all over the city! I'm sick of irresponsible owners who think it's OK to let their dog crap everywhere, but are too bloody lazy, dirty and selfish to clean it up. Just how difficult is it to carry a poop bag/nappy sack in your pocket?

There should be more dog bins as well to facilitate the disposal of dog waste. And the council should be doing more to enforce the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

More bins would solve a lot of problems tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

No it wouldn't. People still wouldn't bother their asses cleaning up after their dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I can't see how this will make any difference. The majority of dog owners don't give a proverbial. I once saw a dog owner allowing his dog (a huge boxer) to crap on a person's doorstep in Barrack Street. Imagine opening your front door and being greeted with that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I can't see how this will make any difference. The majority of dog owners don't give a proverbial. I once saw a dog owner allowing his dog (a huge boxer) to crap on a person's doorstep in Barrack Street. Imagine opening your front door and being greeted with that.

I live in Dun Laoghaire and the pier and the area between the pier and Sandycove used to be terrible for dog crap being everywhere. About ten years ago or so the Council either brought in new laws/changed the law/started to publicise that not cleaning up after your dog is an offence.

Alot of posters went up in the area, they weren't big probably just bigger than A4 but they were noticeable, and they also provided the pooper scoopers at the entrance to the pier for you to clean up after your dog for free. A lot of people (incl dog owners) were pissed of with the state of the place so that I do remember a few times if someone didn't clean up after their dog they would say something to them.

The place is now pretty much crap free and the free pooper scoopers aren't there any more with no effect on the state of the paths. People bring bags out with them now to clean up.

I don't think it was one thing that made people do it but a mixture of all of them that made the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It is pretty bad around Blackrock. There is a creche next to a medical center on Church Road over there. The amount of stuff on the path there is crazy... people in wheelchairs going into the medical center, and people with babies in prams, buggies and toddlers get covered in it.

Makes me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

it's a disgusting problem and the dog owners should be heavily fined but when was the last time you saw a dog warden out patrolling the walkways? I know they have other jobs to do in their line of work but some visibility would be nice.

It's very bad along the Rochestown old rail line also, while they are at it they could slap another fine on them for not having their dogs on a leash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Can we keep this on discussion about the initiative itself as its getting a bit pro dog / anti dog Mr Mainwairing

thx

Advertisement