Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

decent wireless printers anyone?

Options
  • 10-11-2012 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

As thread title.

Need a new printer for the house.

Its needed to print off the odd invoice / copy a document or two, print email.

Limited space, must be wireless, budget of up to €100.

In Naas, so close to a tesco, argos, harvery Norman, pc world and did.

Anyone any recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mrsbouquet

I bought a HP 3050A deskjet a while ago and find it very good. Bought it for 79 euro in Click and it does the job.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

mrsbouquet wrote: »
    I bought a HP 3050A deskjet a while ago and find it very good. Bought it for 79 euro in Click and it does the job.

A friend of mine bought one of those for 49 Euro in Tesco, which he thought was great until he went to replace the inks. Even compatible inks are way too expensive because the colours are all in one cartridge. What you want is something that will take individual cartridges. I can highly recommend the Canon Pixma MG5350 which you should be able to pick up for around 100 Euro. It uses 5 ink cartridges so it's more economical as you just replace whichever runs out. With the all in one colour cartridges if one colour runs out you've to replace the whole cartridge. And those types of cartridges are very expensive to replace. For the likes of the Canon I mentioned you can get cartridges for around 2 Euro each. The difference is enough to pay for itself after just one full refill and you'll have a much better printer than that HP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Currys are doing a decent laser printer black print only for just under 100 euro. http://www.currys.ie/Product/HP-LaserJet-Pro-P1102w-Wireless-Monochrome-Laser-Printer/306930/7.12.3. Thinking of one for myself as I am sick of expensive ink cartridges that are blocked when not used for a while. They also print so few pages compared to around 1500 A4 from a laser cartridge. You can get replacement toner cartridges on eBay for well under 30 Euro too.

This printer does 18 pages a minute , just need to find out if it will run AirPrint so I can use it with pc laptop ipad and iPhone, it would be perfect.
    UPDATE: according to apple support website it is AirPrint enabled.
    Cheers

Peter

Replacement cartridge for Euro 27 inc VAT from Cork. http://www.hannigans.ie/storefront/Vink-HP-CE285A-Black-Toner-P-748097

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Went for this model from Argos in the end .

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9085923/Trail/searchtext%3EWIFI+PRINTER.htm

Cost me 59.99, which included 120 6x4 photo paper.
    New cartridges are 15.99 for colour, and 9.99 for black.

I feel I did ok considering they're 62 Sterling on Amazon, (no free papers either)

Seems to do all I need it for, even comes with a ready made email address to mail prints directly to it when out and about!

Very happy with it so far!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Currys are doing a decent laser printer black print only for just under 100 euro. http://www.currys.ie/Product/HP-LaserJet-Pro-P1102w-Wireless-Monochrome-Laser-Printer/306930/7.12.3. Thinking of one for myself

If you are buying anything from Curry's don't forget the Boards.ie 10 Euro discount code: BOARDSVIP€10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Do not buy a HP printer unless you intend to leave it on 24/7 . It takes about 5 mins to go thru its initialisation which involves lots of creaking and buzzing sounds before it is finally ready to print its first page. Becomes a real pain after the first 100 times!:mad:

The adaptor which is huge is also annoying . On standby the all-in-ones use 20 watts which isnt great either so there is a tendency to unplug when not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gormal

I got a Kodak ESP5250 as well because of the cheap ink. Never again! Goes through the ink and won't print at all unless you have both cartridges installed and not empty. I had to update the software online before it would print a whole photo. I don't know why they won't let us download the latest software and save to disk. I've gone through a ton of ink and find the print quality on documents rubbish although the photos are fab. Also after about 14 months the printhead went, and the price of the colour ink went from I think it was €12.99 to €20 in the space of a year.
    So I went back to the old faithful Canon Pixima 4950 and the refill kits.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Blindside87

Check out the Brother DCP-195C printer. A little bit more expensive than the cheap HP/Canon printers but much better value to run (with compatible cartridges of course). Also they come with two year warranties. There is a wireless version called a DCP-J315W also which is also cheap to run!

Advertisement