Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 and media centre streaming to Xbox

Options
  • 10-11-2012 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭

After updating to win8, I had problems streamig from pc to Xbox. Firewall was blocking access but once I got that sorted I discovered that the quality of the streaming is shocking compared to what it was with windows 7 - all files are essentially unwatchable, stuttering,blocky and lots of buffering.

Has anyone else experience this? Any solutions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'd say look at alternative solutions like Tversity

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Regardless of the OS (or console as the name may suggest), I'd heartily recommend PS3Mediaserver.

I've also found it vastly superior to TVersity in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

thanks guys - i installed ps3media server and it does the job - not as good an interface or ui though? ie wife/kid friendly. or am i missing something?

while this is fine as a temporary solution I'd prefer to go back to windows media centre.

my system is a wired ethernet connection over CAT 6 cable. The network test is coming back at 100%. Video files play fine on the computer, so it's something to do with the way Windows Media Centre is streaming from pc to the xbox.

Could there be some other setting that is limiting the stream (as in the way the firewall blocked media centre automatically?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

ablelocks wrote: »
    After updating to win8, I had problems streamig from pc to Xbox. Firewall was blocking access but once I got that sorted I discovered that the quality of the streaming is shocking compared to what it was with windows 7 - all files are essentially unwatchable, stuttering,blocky and lots of buffering.

Has anyone else experience this? Any solutions?
    Are you using Windows 8 Pro? If so, you can get Windows Media Center as a free add-on (between now and January)
    Link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/feature-packs

I've used TVersity in the past and it does the job soundly, but it's too much like the native Media Player on Xbox which is about four generations out of date.

thanks guys - i installed ps3media server and it does the job - not as good an interface or ui though? ie wife/kid friendly. or am i missing something?
    What UI are you referring to? The PC one?

• Advertisement

gizmo, the ui on the xbox - or at least the path to the movie and tv series folders - eg go to apps/my apps/system video player/pc-ps3mediaserver/movies/ scroll thru list / select movie

admittedly, i only got about 10 mins to install and check it so there could well be something very obvious I've missed out on.
    Are you using Windows 8 Pro? If so, you can get Windows Media Center as a free add-on (between now and January)
    Link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/feature-packs

ahm, that's exactly what I did? Are you saying you haven't experienced any issues with the quality of the streaming from win 8 pc to xbox?

will try tversity tonight and see what that looks like.

gizmo, the ui on the xbox - or at least the path to the movie and tv series folders - eg go to apps/my apps/system video player/pc-ps3mediaserver/movies/ scroll thru list / select movie

admittedly, i only got about 10 mins to install and check it so there could well be something very obvious I've missed out on.
    Ah, that's all there is to it. It's sole purpose is to make the files on your PC available on your 360, regardless of format.

in case anyone else had this issue, Microsoft issued a fix for this issue over the last couple of days.

Advertisement