Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing Parishes in the 20th century: Civil parishes and Catholic Parishes

• 10-11-2012 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi, I would like any genealogist to help me out on this query I am only an amateur one I do have experience in it but I think I need to grasp some 'How land boundaries work'.

My grandmother's great grandmother was called Owens in Mountpelier, Athenry
    Co. Galway back in the early 1900's but the problem is that according to the 1901/11 census Mountpelier isn't in Athenry it is in the parish of Aughrim.
    Is there any reason why parishes changed in 20th century Ireland? Today
    Mountpelier is in the parish of Athenry. I have just been told that there are
    old civil parishes and Catholic parishes didn't know there was a difference
    in parishes. Any genealogist want to help my query, please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The Aughrim mentioned on the 1911 census is the DED - or Electoral District. If you look at the reverse of the household form you can see the parish as Athenry. This is the Civil parish.

Civil parishes usually correspond to Church of Ireland parishes. RC parishes can contain a number of civil parishes, and sometimes different names. RC Parishes changed over time, often due to population changes.

In this case the RC parish corresponded to the Civil parish and had the same name.

Shane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Claire Santry has a good overview of the main divisions and Shanew has just described the main points.

Seanruad.com and the book A Genealogical Atlas of Ireland by Brian Mitchell (2nd ed) are most helpful too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭upncmnhistori

Thank you

Advertisement