Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloading from vuze to Apple tv?

Options
  • 10-11-2012 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I download regularly to vuze and watch it on my laptop. I've just got apple tv and I'm trying to stream it through that.
    When I drag it into itunes it starts to convert but at the very last minute it 'fails to convert'. No matter what I do I keep getting the same message.

I did some googling and realised it had to be an mp4 and itunes needs to be opened on the computer. I've done both of these and it still fails.

Has anyone any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm really not very technical so I'm at a loss now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

You need to convert the files to mp4 and then add them to itunes. I use a program called handbrake.

Alternative but slightly more complicated is to jailbreak the apple tv

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Not my real name

So even though I'm downloading an mp4 I still need to convert it?

The file could have a codec that itunes doesn't like. Does this happen with more than one file?

My understanding is that mp4 and mpeg-4 are slightly difference. In saying that I have no issues adding mp4 you should be able to add directly to the itunes library.

I have also experienced issues adding files with complicated names. If that is the case simplify the name

The file could have a codec that itunes doesn't like. Does this happen with more than one file?

My understanding is that mp4 and mpeg-4 are slightly difference. In saying that I have no issues adding mp4 you should be able to add directly to the itunes library.

I have also experienced issues adding files with complicated names. If that is the case simplify the name

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Apple products are very sensitive when it comes to decoding video, try converting the videos using Handbrake and see if it helps

Nick

• Advertisement

Sensitive ? I like it but I prefer controlling

T-K-O wrote: »

It happens with everything I try to do not just one file, as far as I recall it was mpeg-4 rather than mp4.
    Its really the only reason I got the apple tv, probably should have considered a media player instead :mad:

Will try the handbrake and see if I get it working.

Thanks for your help!

It happens with everything I try to do not just one file, as far as I recall it was mpeg-4 rather than mp4.
    Its really the only reason I got the apple tv, probably should have considered a media player instead :mad:

Will try the handbrake and see if I get it working.

Thanks for your help!

Yeah double check the files you have. Try convert one file with handbrake and see if that will add

What apple tv did you get? You could always jailbreak and use something like XBMC

Yeah double check the files you have. Try convert one file with handbrake and see if that will add

What apple tv did you get? You could always jailbreak and use something like XBMC

Got the latest one, apple3, got it at a bargain price so thats why I went for it but I'm really not sure about it. We tried to watch a movie on itunes and when I paid for it, it said your movie will be ready to watch in 6hrs:rolleyes:

I honestly dont understand what jailbreak means so I dont think I'll go there.

Will download something now with handbrake.

Got the latest one, apple3, got it at a bargain price so thats why I went for it but I'm really not sure about it. We tried to watch a movie on itunes and when I paid for it, it said your movie will be ready to watch in 6hrs:rolleyes:

I honestly dont understand what jailbreak means so I dont think I'll go there.

Will download something now with handbrake.

I dont believe there is a jailbreak for the apple tv 3. Check out handbrake, let me know how you get on.

ATV is pretty cool (once you get it up and running)

• Advertisement

I dont believe there is a jailbreak for the apple tv 3. Check out handbrake, let me know how you get on.

ATV is pretty cool (once you get it up and running)
    Thanks for your help TKO but I've given up!

No matter what I tried to convert in handbrake, they all failed. My husband (who knows a little more than me when it comes to this) spent 2 hrs trying to sort it out but it just won't work.
    Honestly don't know what we are doing wrong!

Ordered a movie on ATV at 2pm today to let it stream and we are 30 mins it and the bloody thing has paused. I give up. ATV going up for sale methinks!!

Thanks for your help TKO but I've given up!

No matter what I tried to convert in handbrake, they all failed. My husband (who knows a little more than me when it comes to this) spent 2 hrs trying to sort it out but it just won't work.
    Honestly don't know what we are doing wrong!

Ordered a movie on ATV at 2pm today to let it stream and we are 30 mins it and the bloody thing has paused. I give up. ATV going up for sale methinks!!

That's a shame but I know how frustrating this can be. Some people on here have mentioned the download time / buffering when renting a movie. Personally I do not experience that at all, maybe your broadband is not up to it?

One last suggestion - try a completely different source, i.e copy a movie from a dvd and try adding that.

If you have decided to sell the box maybe replace it with something like XBMC. This is open source (free software) that will play almost anything, you can stream media directly from the PC, no need to add the files to itunes.

That's a shame but I know how frustrating this can be. Some people on here have mentioned the download time / buffering when renting a movie. Personally I do not experience that at all, maybe your broadband is not up to it?

One last suggestion - try a completely different source, i.e copy a movie from a dvd and try adding that.

If you have decided to sell the box maybe replace it with something like XBMC. This is open source (free software) that will play almost anything, you can stream media directly from the PC, no need to add the files to itunes.
    We recently changed to UPC and find them great compared to what we had, so much faster. When we tried to to convert the files in handbrake it just failed immediately, within a second. No explanation as to why it failed. Do you think it could be the BB speed?

I asked my sister last night to do exactly what I was doing (she has ATV as well) and it worked fine for her. Will try get her around today to help me, but I'm still thinking of going towards a media player and staying far away from iTunes :-)

We recently changed to UPC and find them great compared to what we had, so much faster. When we tried to to convert the files in handbrake it just failed immediately, within a second. No explanation as to why it failed. Do you think it could be the BB speed?

I asked my sister last night to do exactly what I was doing (she has ATV as well) and it worked fine for her. Will try get her around today to help me, but I'm still thinking of going towards a media player and staying far away from iTunes :-)

You're broadband speed could potentially cause problems when renting a movie from apple. However if you have UPC this will not be a problem.

Strange that it's working for your sister. Does Handbrake fail to convert or does it say finished. It the latter maybe you are trying to convert mp4 to mp4?

Maybe this can help https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/SupportFAQ

You're broadband speed could potentially cause problems when renting a movie from apple. However if you have UPC this will not be a problem.

Strange that it's working for your sister. Does Handbrake fail to convert or does it say finished. It the latter maybe you are trying to convert mp4 to mp4?

Maybe this can help https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/SupportFAQ
    Handbrake fails to convert, we tried to convert our downloaded file and chose a load of different options in handbrake just to see if any of them worked, and none of them did. That's why I think it's something simple we are missing because everything is failing immediately.

Ill have a look at that link and ill update if I've any positive results.

Thanks again!

At this point you may have changed a setting required to convert..

Windows; how to

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/WindowsGuiGuide

TKO I got it sorted, my lovely neighbour spent an hour in here sorting it out.
    The problem was with iTunes, even though i had the most up to date version for some reason my QuickTime player was not installed and this was preventing the files converting. Once he got that sorted everything updated immediately.

I knew it had to be something simple in the end.

My relationship with apple is back on track :-)

Brilliant, I hope you can now enjoy the apple tv!

Advertisement