Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number of Takeaways in Ireland?

Options
  • 10-11-2012 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

I'm doing a bit of research on the Irish takeaway market.

So far from Bord Bia reports I've found that the market size is €860 million, the average spend is €20 and that 24% of adults have a takeaway at least once a week. The latter figure suggests that we consume around 45 million takeaway meals per year.

What I can't put my finger on is how many takeaways there are in Ireland, and how many of them deliver. I also don't know what proportion of those 45 million takeaways are delivered to people's homes. I would also like an estimate of how many delivery drivers there are in Ireland.

Could anyone help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

FSAI should have info on the number of takeaways, if not the number who deliver.

You could survey a random sample of businesses to get an idea of what proportion deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Inscrutable

Thanks, the FSAI website is less than user friendly but I'll email them. I found this from a 2005 Independent article:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/how-weve-become-a-nation-that-spends-480m-a-year-on-junk-food-237257.html
    New figures obtained by the Irish Independent show the country is dotted with thousands of fast-food outlets and their numbers are increasing all the time.

We totted up over 2,000 takeaways - and you could probably add on at least 1,000 more for the remaining 12 counties where the data wasn't readily available.

In Dublin and its commuter zone alone, there are 1,094 takeaways, ranging from Chinese to chippers to sandwich bars, according to figures registered with the Health Service Executive to enable food safety inspections.

So the FSAI have a list of "Approved Food Establishments" readily available online... but they only list those which are involved in the chill chain it seems. All food businesses have to register with the FSAI, but is this list available online? And is it readily available off the FSAI if I call them up?

http://www.fsai.ie/food_businesses/approved_food_establishments.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

So the FSAI have a list of "Approved Food Establishments" readily available online... but they only list those which are involved in the chill chain it seems. All food businesses have to register with the FSAI, but is this list available online? And is it readily available off the FSAI if I call them up?

http://www.fsai.ie/food_businesses/approved_food_establishments.html

HSE register caterers including takeaways and make returns to the FSAI - give them (the FSAI) a ring and see if they'll let you have the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'm doing a bit of research on the Irish takeaway market.

So far from Bord Bia reports I've found that the market size is €860 million, the average spend is €20
    What is the research actually about? that €20 spend doesn't tell me much, was it for more than 1 person, is it that more expensive takeaways are doing well?

There seem to be lots of presumptions with stats which can be incorrect or misleading.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    What is the research actually about? that €20 spend doesn't tell me much, was it for more than 1 person, is it that more expensive takeaways are doing well?

There seem to be lots of presumptions with stats which can be incorrect or misleading.

It's about estimating the demand for food delivery to people's homes.

I don't know the median, just the average according to a 2010 B&A report and the 24% from Bord Bia report.

http://www.banda.ie/assets/files/No%20accounting%20for%20taste%20report%20November%202010(1).pdf

http://www.bordbia.ie/industryservices/information/publications/bbreports/Documents/What%20Ireland%20Ate%20Last%20Night%20-%20Full%20Report.pdf

take-aways.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It's about estimating the demand for food delivery to people's homes.
    I would be worried about the wording or any presumptions being made. I expect the 'desired demand' is higher that what is actual figure for what id delivered.

e.g. reading some threads there seems to be a demand for cherry coke here, but if you equate sales figures with demand it would appear there is no demand, since it is not officially on the market.

My brother gets takeaways all the time, I cannot remember him ever getting it delivered. Same with my father and a few friends. He doesn't think the delivery service is great, it could be cold, it could be too expensive, could come at some random time, he might be passing the takeaway. Some people are concerned about tales of drivers spitting on pizzas. So if the service was better more might be using it.

So I am still wondering what your research is intended to be used for or what it illustrates, and be careful of what presumptions it would make.

I would expect a rise in takeaways since more people are drinking at home, so get food delivered rather than walking to the takeaway after the pub.

I get more takeaways these days as they have better deals an it is often cheaper than trying to make it myself or getting a "ready meal" if I was lazy.

Advertisement