Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automation in Laptop construction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I stripped down an iPhone recently, I can't imagine a robot being able to do that and I've worked in automation.

If the product is designed with automation in mind it definitely can be machine assembled. But most products are in such a rush to the market this isn't considered.

I would definitely consider the iPhone 4 as a rushed design from an assembly point of view. 26 screws need to be removed to change the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

obviously if major design changes were made to a product similar to a iphone could it be done? As for laptops and tvs(say plasma and led) what abut them as the general design and size would make them easier to automate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

obviously if major design changes were made to a product similar to a iphone could it be done? As for laptops and tvs(say plasma and led) what abut them as the general design and size would make them easier to automate

The problem isnt whether or not its possible to automate the assembly of a product, the problem is the cost of automating a products assembly. Very often its cheaper to use human labour which results in greater profits. Companies are driven by profits so its the bottom line that decides the manufacturing process used.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

so how much of laptop and tv construction is automated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

so how much of laptop and tv construction is automated

Thats a big question to answer. You have the electronic components, the PCB assemblies, the cables and the mechanical assemblies to take into account.
    All have the possibility of automatic assembly but I know of no company that does this, thats not to say no company does this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you can make a product so reliable that it isn't worth making it repairable then you don't need to make it take apart able.

Look at laptop powersupplies. For a long time many of them have been ultrasonically welded together - no screws needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Offy wrote: »
    Thats a big question to answer. You have the electronic components, the PCB assemblies, the cables and the mechanical assemblies to take into account.
    All have the possibility of automatic assembly but I know of no company that does this, thats not to say no company does this.

In the laptop's case, you also have different customer specs to deal with (hard drive size, memory, video card etc.) - I'd say most of these are built to order these days. Variations in connector position, size etc. between these different components would be tricky for an automated assembly to deal with compared to human assembly. LCDs should be easier (single spec) but still have cable assemblies to deal with.
    If you can make a product so reliable that it isn't worth making it repairable then you don't need to make it take apart able.

Look at laptop powersupplies. For a long time many of them have been ultrasonically welded together - no screws needed.

The corollary is that when the design flaw shows up, the component can't be repaired. I've two Dell laptop power supplies at home, both have a well-documented issue with component failure within the supply (think it's a dead PROM). The actual failure is pretty simple, but there's no chance of a DIY (or Dell) repair because the casing is welded.

Advertisement