Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Location for Double Oven - Advice needed

• 10-11-2012 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

hope someone can advise on this. We have a under oven at the moment and it's very smoky. Mrs f has her heart set on a double oven. However, we have no location for it in our existing kitchen set up plus we have a granite worktop.

The options are as follows;
    1. Put it in the utility - this will be adjacent to a window and we will need a unit for it to sit on. This is not ideal and the utility is not that big either.

2. Put it in the kitchen, taking down a unit and replacing this with the double oven.

Can the double oven sit on the granite worktop?

Are we as well to forget this messing and just get a new under oven?

Our kitchen is 8 years old.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

is it possible that you just need a replacement door seal

i dont think a double oven is less smokey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You can get under-counter double ovens too, but naturally the ovens won't be as big though.
    Smokiness is caused by grease, a good professional clean or any new oven will solve this for a while but eventually you'll be back to square one ( but I suspect that's not her real reason for the change ;) )

If you want to put an eye level oven in the kitchen you could take down a wall unit and install a new unit on top of the worktop and fixed securely to the wall. Personally I wouldn't rest the oven directly on the worktop just in case of heat damage, avoid scratching the surface and to leave room for the lower door to open, but I'd fit shelf a few cms off the worktop to take the oven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

We looked at the the double under and as you say they are smaller.

The idea of taking down an existing wall unit is what we are looking at the moment. What type of shelf would you recommend underneath, a drawer? I'm trying to picture how this would look and not sure. The space that I have in mind is beside an integrated fridge which I don't think matters.

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Have a double oven beside a fridge myself, never had a problem with it but there's 2 layers of chipboard between them (2 tall units side-by-side). Make sure everyone is happy with the height, you have to consider what it would be like lifting out a hot casserole dish.
    If height is a premium you could sit the oven on the counter top with a sheet of chipboard or two between them to allow clearance for the doors, I don't think the bottom of the oven will be very hot, heat rises and ovens are well insulated. But I'm no expert in such matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Hi
    I worked in kitchen design for a big kitchen retailer for a while so here's my two cents: first off double ovens are unique to Ireland and UK only- they are not available anywhere else in mainland Europe which kind of makes you think why bother with them? Spend your money on a top of the range quality single oven, something from Neff or Siemens with circotherm fan action (these are just two brands I am familiar with). These ovens cook more efficiently at slightly lower temperatures than a conventional fan oven resulting in less fat spitting and consequently less smoke and dirt. There is a world of difference between a good quality oven and a budget appliance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement