Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plotting a Difference wave in Excel

Options
  • 10-11-2012 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

I have plotted two approximately sinusoidal waves in one Excel graph. Both waves are voltage, on the y-axis, against time the x-axis. Though both waves are not identical, being out of sync a little.

The first wave has quite a lot more readings which make it than the second wave.

If I want to produce another Excel graph depicting a wave of the difference in these two, how would I do that?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Smythe wrote: »
    The first wave has quite a lot more readings which make it than the second wave.
    I think the gremlins got to this sentence. :)

You don't give the characteristics of your lines.

I've made line 1 and 2. Line 2 is 90 degrees out of phase and has half the wave length. Depending on the characteristics, the third wave may have a different wavelength (wavelength = 1/frequency) or indeed be flat. Pitch will always be between -1 and 1.

You can then subtract one from the other and plot that.

Are these the same thing:
    * differences between the sines and
    * sines of the differences?

I've had to use Open Office, you can finesse things a bit more with Excel.

228022.PNG

Advertisement