Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life time guarantee my arse.

Options
  • 10-11-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭

I recently had an issue were my fishing rod broke under minimal stress.I contacted the manufactures as I know the shop I bought it from was under some pressure and I wanted it replaced quickly.The manufacture in question has always advertised that all the equipment comes with a "life time guarantee".

I contacted them,told them the issues and they requested I cut the broken section into 4" sections and highlight the area of the break with tape and the receipt,which I did.

After a week I got a letter saying they wanted 50 sterling and 20 for postage for a replacement rod as they no longer stocked that rod even tho the rod was less then a year old.I told them I knew of their "life time guarantee" and he agreed to not charge me postage.On a side note I was in the shop I bought it from recently and I counted no less then 6 of the same rod with breaks in the same place.

I feel this is not right and I should only be paying for postage.
    Any help with this would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sorry. Wrong thread. I thought you were talking about guaranteeing your arse for a lifetime. My mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Always read the small print. What does the guarantee say?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭endacl

On a more serious note, small claims proceedures might be the way to go. Or even an indication that you intend to take this route. It's simple and straightforward. Info is at citizens information website. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

You should have gone back to the shop tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee

For this ULG to become effective, you must register with us within 21 days of purchase. To ensure immediate cover we recommend using the registration form on the Hardy website. You will receive an e-mail confirming your registration when complete. Alternatively you should register by post or fax using the attached card. We are not able to send individual confirmations for post or fax registrations.

The ULG applies to the original owner only. It is given in addition to your statutory rights under the laws of England and Wales.

The ULG applies only to all new and current Hardy Limited carbon fibre rods purchased from an authorised Hardy dealer effective January 2002.

The ULG does not cover intentional breakage or ordinary wear and tear.

A handling charge will apply per section per claim.

Hardy & Greys Limited reserves the right to alter the handling charge without prior notice or warning.

Please check with Hardy & Greys Limited or your local dealer for handling charge current at time of claim.

What to do

Make sure you have completed your warranty registration card within 21 days and obtained the dealer's stamp and date of purchase in the box provided on the card. If registering by post, take a photocopy for your own records. Please keep in a safe place with your proof of purchase. Original owners resident overseas should contact their local dealer/distributor for details.

In the event of a claim, send your rod section(s) with your payment, securely packaged to:

Customer Services Department,
    Hardy North America,
    1260 Corporate Drive,
    Lancaster PA. 17601.

Be sure to include a brief description of the services requested along with contact information.

You may send us your payment by cheque, or by credit/debit card in which case, please give us your name as it appears on the card, your card number and expiry date.
    Broken sections

For tips, you need only send the bottom 10cm/4ins, for middle sections, the bottom and top 10cm/4ins. For the butt section, the spigot and top 5cm/2ins. We will match a new replacement to the broken section. When returning broken section, you must state model, length, line size and rod serial number. Please advise daytime telephone number and daytime delivery address.
    Further information

The original owner is responsible for the cost of carriage and insurance of the rod to the Customer Service Department (CSD) of Hardy & Greys Limited, or to the distributor of his/her country.

All Claims in the UK must be dealt with by the CSD directly.

Return despatch and insurance charges in the UK will be paid by Hardy & Greys Limited.

All other non-carbon fibre rods are not covered by the ULG, but are covered by the existing Lifetime Warranty against manufacturing defects and workmanship.

The benefit of the ULG may not be assigned or transferred to any other third party.

Failure to return the completed ULG within 21 days cancels any rights an original owner has to the ULG.

Goods covered by the ULG will be repaired or replaced at the discretion of Hardy & Greys Limited.

There may be colour/material and specification variations in the replacement sections against the original.

The ULG does not cover consequential or incidental damages.

The ULG does not cover lost rod or rod section(s).

No associated ancillary liability due to use of rod is accepted by Hardy & Greys Limited.

Hardy & Greys Limited reserves the right to determine whether to repair or replace any product covered by this warranty and the right to replace any discontinued models, at a reasonable charge, with comparable models when necessary. Colours and components may vary between original and replacement parts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm surprised at Hardy's taking that line. Always wanted one but could never afford it:mad:

Were did you buy the rod? Pat Cleere is the guy to talk to about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

I'm surprised at Hardy's taking that line. Always wanted one but could never afford it:mad:

Were did you buy the rod? Pat Cleere is the guy to talk to about it.
    I just noticed.
    Hardy & Greys Limited reserves the right to determine whether to repair or replace any product covered by this warranty and the right to replace any discontinued models, at a reasonable charge, with comparable models when necessary. Colours and components may vary between original and replacement parts.

it may have just been bad timing and there is nothing I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

damagegt wrote: »
    I just noticed.

it may have just been bad timing and there is nothing I can do.

It still shouldnt have broken. Any manufacturing guarantee cannot supercede your rights as a consumer.
    You should have gone to the shop, your contract is with them.
    Now that you chopped it you are kinda hosed to be honest, unless the manufacturer decides to play nice. You could try the SCC, for €15 its probably worth it, are they Irish though?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

Would the SCC not just say should of gone to retailer?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

01902 wrote: »
    Would the SCC not just say should of gone to retailer?

Possibly, its a little unclear (to me) if you can use SCC against a manufacturer, however since you dont have a contract with them then perhaps not.

OP I would contact the retailer and explain the situation to them and see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

No, if you take the SCC route you have to deal with the retailer.

If you wish to take advantage of the Life time guraentee, then thats your choice but consumer law is usually offers greater protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Did you follow all of the rules in the warranty
    - bought it from authorized dealer
    - you registered your rod within 21 days of purchase
    - it's actually a carbon fiber rod

The warranty also looks like it is for the UK. Does it actually apply to Ireland?

You should have gone to the shop in the first place, as this is the responsible party for your statutory rights. Now, you don't have this option anymore, as you damaged the rod even further by breaking it into smaller pieces on request of the manufacturer.

Advertisement