Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can i save a movie onto a black dvd and watch it on regular TV/DVD player?

Options
  • 10-11-2012 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭

So, my tv does not have hdmi or what ever and i am at a loss when it comes to cables etc. I have movies on my laptop but wanna watch them on the old croc of a tv I have via a dvd player. Can I save the movie onto a blank DVD/CD and watch on tv using a dvd player?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Probably. Some DVD players (modern ones) support divx/xvid etc. Some may be fussy as to DVD-R/DVD+R. Discs are cheap, give it a try !

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mcnially

Can you advise me... I want to ask a question in a thread... but i haven't a clue how to

and can't find the option... i think i've searched well enough :(

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭FunGoose

Do you want to start a new thread?

I'm just about to so I could show you/explain it. You may not have enough posts to start one though. Search the site for FAQs about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭FunGoose

sporina wrote: »
    So, my tv does not have hdmi or what ever and i am at a loss when it comes to cables etc. I have movies on my laptop but wanna watch them on the old croc of a tv I have via a dvd player. Can I save the movie onto a blank DVD/CD and watch on tv using a dvd player?

I'd say you can do this. Find out what formats your DVD player supports. If you don't have the manual/have to find out yourself burn a few small movie files in different formats onto a disc and see which one works. This might work, hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭sporina

FunGoose wrote: »
    I'd say you can do this. Find out what formats your DVD player supports. If you don't have the manual/have to find out yourself burn a few small movie files in different formats onto a disc and see which one works. This might work, hope it helps.

oh i am not sure what you mean by the above highlighted..

I use an macbook so when i want movies i download those in avi as i use VLC to watch them on my laptop.?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

oh i am not sure what you mean by the above highlighted..

I use an macbook so when i want movies i download those in avi as i use VLC to watch them on my laptop.?

what he means is you need to put one or two of your movies on a blank DVD and put it in your DVD Player and see if it plays them, if it doesn't work, then you need to convert the files into DVD format.
    i use convertxtodvd.

cool thanks i will try this..

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

if you use a macbook, there is no version of convertxtodvd for it.

i havent used this myself, http://www.iskysoft.com/dvd-creator-mac.html , but have used some of their other products. may be something cheaper available for mac, but i'm not aware of any free solutions.

might actually be a better solution to purchase a usb media player, something like this.

i know from experience it can often take a long time converting files to play on standard dvd players.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

If you have a lot of movies and don't want the hassle of burning them all onto DVDs you could try a media player with RCA composite output (the red/white/yellow cables). These can be connected to scart also. I have a Sony one that is fine but you can get cheaper ones like this or this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Seamu$ wrote: »
    If you have a lot of movies and don't want the hassle of burning them all onto DVDs you could try a media player with RCA composite output (the red/white/yellow cables). These can be connected to scart also. I have a Sony one that is fine but you can get cheaper ones like this or this.

This really is the best option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

DVDStyler supports Macs, but a media player is probably the easiest option for you.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

if you use a macbook, there is no version of convertxtodvd for it.

i know from experience it can often take a long time converting files to play on standard dvd players.

i didn't know there was no version for macs. interesting. but as for taking a long time i don't agree. takes me about 10 mins to convert a. standard avi file to DVD.

by the way what if the op can't afford a media player? just asking.

meh i tried burining a dvd - R disc with a movie in avi format and the dvd player says " unknown disc".. what next? and please excuse me - this is alll like a foreign language to me..

meh i tried burining a dvd - R disc with a movie in avi format and the dvd player says " unknown disc".. what next? and please excuse me - this is alll like a foreign language to me..
    Try reading some of the replies you got in this thread.

Most DVD players don't support compressed MPEG4 avi files. You need to re-encode the discs into MPEG2 using the DVD Forum standard i.e: video_ts, .bup, .ifo (from memory) files. A good tool on Windows is DVDFlick but I believe this will work as well and it's for Mac: http://www.dvdstyler.org/en/. Depending on your machine it could take minutes to hours to re-encode the videos, hence I suggested a media hard disk you plug into your tv set may be more appropriate.
    DVD players that say they support "Xvid/Divx" should play a .avi that has been burnt onto a DVD also, although when you start bringing many different codec combinations into play some DVD players have very average support so you may run into difficulty with some of your encodes

Nick

grrrrrrrrrrrr… ok so i managed to convert a movie from avi to mp4.. i think and i burned it onto a dvd and it works in my dvd player.. but there were no subtitles on the torrent???? gggrr..

so i have downloaded the subtitles.. how can i get them to sync with the movie?

nearly there,, please bare with me..

grrrrrrrrrrrr… ok so i managed to convert a movie from avi to mp4.. i think and i burned it onto a dvd and it works in my dvd player.. but there were no subtitles on the torrent???? gggrr..

so i have downloaded the subtitles.. how can i get them to sync with the movie?

nearly there,, please bare with me..

Mod: This sounds a bit dodgy to me so am going to lock it. If it is a legal movie please pm me and I will unlock it. Obviously we can't assist you playing possible pirate content on here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement