Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PARIS MARATHON 2013

Options
  • 10-11-2012 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Hi all
    Anone doing this in April? Or is there anyone whos done it before can give advice on it?
    I nearly have the confirm payment button pressed but still nervous if right decision.:confused: Just did Dublin marathon as my first and loved it :) Would like to break my pb here but the congestion problems worry me. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I'm signed up for it already and asked about congestion and quality on here. General consensus is that it's a great race and you should go for it!

The congestion problems seem to be around the 4 hour pacer mark but were seemingly much better last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Cheers for reply Davestator, to visit Paris has always been on my to do list so I'm going to bite the bullet and just sign up . Plus it's more appealing for the bf than some of the other options. :) Hope your training is going well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

any advice on hotels?

It's official I'm in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I ran this marathon in 2005 and 2006. Obviously (like running in general) it has seen a boom in popularity in recent years but it's a great marathon and often falls under the radar due to London being so close etc.

There is a great sense of pride in this marathon, the locals really come out with music, bands and even at about mile 22 there was an un-official wine stop! I kid you not, I was nearly going to vomit from the smell of du vin alone but hey, it was brilliant run.

What a route too, so many landmarks you will never be bored.
    I like to think, when I plan to wrap up my marathon running I will finish on Paris...we'll see.

In relation to hotels, I can't remember the name but I stayed in a nice one on rue Saint Lazare, very close to Gare Saint Lazare. It was close to a metro station which is essential for getting to the Champs-Élysées on marathon morning.
    Hotels are expensive and tiny...that's all I remember about them :D

Bonne Chance!

• Advertisement

going to do up the maths today to see how much it will cost for the 2 of us.

hotel seems like the thing which will hurt most

Trampas wrote: »
    going to do up the maths today to see how much it will cost for the 2 of us.

hotel seems like the thing which will hurt most

and don't eat or even have a coffee in any establishment on the Champs-Élysées, the prices hurt more than any lactic acid:D

and don't eat or even have a coffee in any establishment on the Champs-Élysées, the prices hurt more than any lactic acid:D

I heard. Plan would be fly in Saturday morning (non red eye) and out Monday lunchtime.

If anyone find a decent hotel for reasonable price and location can they pm me.

I heard. Plan would be fly in Saturday morning (non red eye) and out Monday lunchtime.

If anyone find a decent hotel for reasonable price and location can they pm me.

I flew over on the Friday and went straight to the Expo as you want to try stay off the feet as much as possible on the Saturday, very hard to do in Paris, even with the Metro there's always a fair bit of walking involved no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Great race which I would do again ahead of Berlin tbh. Clearly had issues in years gone by which folks like woodle encountered - but I had no issues at all last year.

For accom last year I did the airbnb.com thing and we had apartment to ourselves, better and cheaper than hotel.

Paris has a great metro, and start is very central so where you stay is not end of world as long as you have access to good metro lines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Badreputation

Did Paris and thought it was a really great marathon. The route was full of all the major landmarks and very well supported throughout.
    Only problem is Paris can be expensive (the large larger we had immediately after the race was €11!!! Worth it though considering the race I had)

Group of us stayed here:Jardins de Montmartre
    131, rue Ordener, 18. Sacré-Cœur - Montmartre, 75018 Paris
    Very small and very very basic but staff were great and its very reasonable compared to other places if you are on a budget. Metro stop was 400yds from the hotel and the area was nice and quiet.About 10 stops from Champs Elysees.The street parallel even had a full running track so we were able to stretch the legs the day before. Residential area more than a tourist spot. Only thing is hotel is basic.. no bar. Continental breakfast served in small dining area but we stocked up on pre marathon food in the local markets in the area. Check out reviews on trip adv.

Enjoy the race. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

I stayed here before. http://www.vialevacances.com/pages_en_parigi/descrizione_appartamento.htm Nice guy. Perfect apartment for a couple. 30/40 meters to 4/5 restaurants and bars. Location could not be better. Supermarket about 1/3 mile away. You can cook your own stuff and he leaves things like cooking oil, milk , butter, wine etc there for you to use. Only negative is that it's on the 2nd floor up steps, other than that it is perfect. free Wifi. Sushi bar nearby its like 5.50 a pint which beats the 11 euro. 430 euro for a week. I think we paid 200 for 3 nights. I would stay here again no problem. great Italian restaurant in one of those 4/5 restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Paris is definitely a good one yeah, it was the first marathon I'd done abroad. I had a few congestion issues in 2008 at around the halfway mark, not too bad though. I do remember that the queues for the portaloos at the start line were absolutely terrible and water stations for the first few miles were manic. If possible, do your toileting business before heading to the start, and plan to do without water at the first couple of stations.

The start on the Champs-Elysee remains up there as one of my top 5 marathon moments, and unlike most big city marathons, the course is like a sightseeing tour of the city, taking in all of the major spots, whilst remaining largely flat. For me, it easily tops the experiences of Berlin in almost every respect, but doesn't quite have the magic of London, Boston or NYC.

rom wrote: »
    I stayed here before. http://www.vialevacances.com/pages_en_parigi/descrizione_appartamento.htm Nice guy. Perfect apartment for a couple. 30/40 meters to 4/5 restaurants and bars. Location could not be better. Supermarket about 1/3 mile away. You can cook your own stuff and he leaves things like cooking oil, milk , butter, wine etc there for you to use. Only negative is that it's on the 2nd floor up steps, other than that it is perfect. free Wifi. Sushi bar nearby its like 5.50 a pint which beats the 11 euro. 430 euro for a week. I think we paid 200 for 3 nights. I would stay here again no problem. great Italian restaurant in one of those 4/5 restaurants.

gone. might look for other apartments as prefer that over hotel

Thanks for all the accommodation advice guys . I'm thinking an apartment would suit us best if we can get one, always like having control over what I eat before a race. Would any Parisian hotels serve porridge? :) ha
    I've yet to book flights too but planning going Fri back on Mon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭The Davestator

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the accommodation advice guys . I'm thinking an apartment would suit us best if we can get one, always like having control over what I eat before a race. Would any Parisian hotels serve porridge? :) ha
    I've yet to book flights too but planning going Fri back on Mon.

That's what we're doing. Late flight Friday and late flight home Monday night. That gives us Sunday night and Monday on the razz (to celebrate hopefully)!

No idea where to stay, but with the metro, hopefully it's not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

gone. might look for other apartments as prefer that over hotel

I would still contact him as he probably knows a neighbour that rents their place out there too. Perfect location.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

I did this in 2011 and stayed in the Hotel Champlain, 99bis, Rue De Rome, Paris 75017. lovely hotel and good price. The location is good for the start too as its only a couple of stops away from Etoile on the Metro. The Paris Marathon was one of my favourites!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

I booked my flight for Paris last night...something I should have done back when I signed up for the marathon as the prices have gone up a good bit.

Accommodation to sort next, can't wait for the race! Time to knuckle down to training...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tattycoram

Paris is going to be my first marathon!

I'm following the Dublin Marathon plan on their website. Training is going well so far. Any advice for a newbie?

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for information and inspiration :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coco7

I've signed up for Paris as well and this will be my third marathon after Dublin and Berlin! Very little training done during Christmas so time for the serious training to start now. Working over here for a few months so don't have to worry about flights and accommodation which is great! Best of luck with the training!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

Signed up last night after being challenged by a french man! First marathon, entered for the 3h15. Training starts in 20 mins! Need to beat the frenchie after having lost to him in the Paris triathlon last year!

Anyone have any advice for training regime/diet? Have been looking online and there's so much conflicting information.

I will be staying with mates and I'll post a few good bars (with happy hours) for post race boozing. Paris is all about finding the happy hours - plan your night and you won't pay more than €5 a pint! Canal St Martin is a great place to go for a few drinks - a lot of locals buy some wine/beer and sit by the canal if the weather is good - great atmosphere. Also, if you are feeling somewhat brave, people drink in Jardin du Luxembourg on the grass - it is prohibited but people are always drinking there.

Good luck with the training - I'm off to do some intervals!

tattycoram wrote: »
    Paris is going to be my first marathon!

I'm following the Dublin Marathon plan on their website. Training is going well so far. Any advice for a newbie?

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for information and inspiration :)

google Hal Higdon, he has some very good training schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

Hi all. I signed up for this as well.

Gonna be my first marathon. Have a few half marathons done must recent one being the start of december.

Following the Hal Higdon Novice 2 programme. At the moment, I aiming for 4:00 -4:15 but in reality will be happy to survive the training and just cross the finish line.

physiopad wrote: »
    Hi all. I signed up for this as well.

Gonna be my first marathon. Have a few half marathons done must recent one being the start of december.

Following the Hal Higdon Novice 2 programme. At the moment, I aiming for 4:00 -4:15 but in reality will be happy to survive the training and just cross the finish line.

What were your half marathon times Physiopad?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

coalshed wrote: »
    What were your half marathon times Physiopad?

1:50 (fairly hilly course) and 1:45 (hilly course) are my most recent half marathon times.

1:50 (fairly hilly course) and 1:45 (hilly course) are my most recent half marathon times.

Good stuff.

Good luck with your Paris training.

Are you going to do another half between now and then?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coco7

Best of luck physiopad! If you get the mileage in, particularly the LSRs, between now and April then I think you should be well on track for your target. Also check out the DCM novices thread from last year. There's some great advice there for the novices!

I've signed up for the semi marathon de Paris as well which is the first Sunday in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

any advice on hotels?

Try this:http://www.paris-france-hotel.com/English_new/Location.html . I have not stayed here but my wife and friends have for the Paris-Versailles race in 2011 and 2012. They found very reasonable, staff very helpful and spoke good English and were used to runners. I think they may have even left a room open for a post race shower for those getting the evening flight by request.

Having done the Paris race in 2011, it is a good race but it did get quiet warm (what to do). I think it lashed in 2012?

Enjoy and remember to look around you! It is worth it even if only to run the Champs without traffic.

PS they are very strict on the medical cert in France, so do not go chancing your arm. I have been able to use the AI card in France in the past as they want to know you are affiliated to a national body. Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Hi everyone. I'm also doing Paris marathon. Good luck to you all in your training. I have booked the Eurostar (I live in London) but Im waiting until the end of the month to book accommodation. Hope I manage to get a good price! Only 11 and a half weeks left until the big day :-)

Advertisement