Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PARIS MARATHON 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coco7

Training is going well for me in the last few weeks ago. First 20miler planned for this weekend.
    I ran the Paris Half Marathon last weekend and was a perfect day for it, sunny blue skies, even managed a PB! With 30,000 runners finishing it, there was naturally some congestion at the start and towards the end. There were 6 waves leaving every 5 mins so I'm guessing it will be a similar setup for the full. Bottled water every 5km and Powerade at the halfway point.
    Well, best of luck for the next 4 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

I have a 10k run in the morning, I'm hoping to get a PB, fingers crossed :-)

Can anybody tell me; what is the nearest metro stop to the start line? I am probably being a but slow but can't seem to figure it out. Would like to start planning my route for the morning. Getting exited now!

Closest metro to the start should be Charles de Gaulle Etoile.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tattycoram

Ran Bohermeen last Sunday quicker than I'd expected, though the last 2 miles were tough.

Looking forward to an 18 mile tomorrow, hope the weather improves!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

coalshed wrote: »

Doubly jelous. A) That you have your long runs done and B) That you're going to Vegas.

Sounds good, not too long to go now. Must organise my medical cert soon too.

Organise it quick before you get an injury & your doctor won't play ball!!

• Advertisement

coco7 wrote: »
    Closest metro to the start should be Charles de Gaulle Etoile.
    Thanks Coco7

17 miles today. The wind, snow and hail got the better of me at the end. Still, now that i've thawed out, i'm pretty happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Travelchick

Hey,
    This is my first post on this so apologies if I'm doing this all wrong!!
    Doing the Paris marathon with a few friends in a few weeks & getting very nervous/excited now!!
    As we're all first time marathoners (if there's such a word), can anyone advise when we should aim to arrive at the start area & if it's best to go to the running expo on Friday or Sat? (We arrive Friday)?
    Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Hey,
    Doing the Paris marathon with a few friends in a few weeks & getting very nervous/excited now!!
    As we're all first time marathoners (if there's such a word), can anyone advise when we should aim to arrive at the start area & if it's best to go to the running expo on Friday or Sat? (We arrive Friday)?
    Thanks a mill

Hey Travelchick, I'm not sure about your arrival time on rce day but I guess you'll be better off too early rather than too late.

I'd go to the expo on Friday and get it done, I suspect it will be hectic on Saturday. And don't do too much walking around Paris before the race...rest up.

Paris sounds like it'll be a great place to run your first marathon, hope you all have a great time!

Hey,
    Thanks a mill
    Hello & welcome. Best of luck for Paris. I am also very nervous but very exited!
    I would just echo what coalshed said really. :-)

• Advertisement

Hey,
    Thanks a mill
    Hello & welcome. Best of luck for Paris. I am also very nervous but very exited!
    I would just echo what coalshed said really. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BonBon75

This time 3 weeks we'll be in Paris! Looking forward to easing off on the miles, just need to avoid any dreaded colds now........and that's not easy in this weather. (Apart from those people currently training in Vegas!!!)

I am definitely looking firmware to easing off on the mies! Wen is everyone else doing their last lsr?

Sara2002 wrote: »
    I am definitely looking firmware to easing off on the mies! Wen is everyone else doing their last lsr?

Going to postpone my 18 lsr until tomorrow. Lashing snow here in swords now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

BonBon75 wrote: »

Going to postpone my 18 lsr until tomorrow. Lashing snow here in swords now!!!
    It wouldn't stop rocky

It wouldn't stop rocky

Agreed. Unfortunately this isn't the movies......have to mind yourself up to the big one! Enjoy. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Sorry, I can't help much on the hotel search, but be warned that all the hotel rooms in Paris seem to be shoe boxes. Don't expect a huge breakfast either so so probably wise to bring the porridge with you!

Just on this, if it helps anyone else I've booked my apartment through airbnb. You basically move into someone's apartment for a few days! I've used it once before in New York and it worked out great. It solves the problem of crazy Paris shoe-box hotel prices and also your food as you have your own place to stash your own breakfast and make your own meals.

Just throwing it out there if anyone else is having difficulty finding a place or trying to figure out what to do. I only booked my apartment last night and thought I'd be doomed but there still seems to be quite a few hotel and apartment options out there.

Now if only I had a quick fix for my training! Between a chest infection and then rushing back and into an injury I'm way behind. Hoping for a good solid 20 mile LSR today to boost my confidence again. God knows I need it.

Should be a great race though. I had contemplated dropping out but even if I have to stroll around I reckon it's too good a route not to do even for the sights along the way alone. I might just not take this one too seriously and try to enjoy it.

Did a 12 miler today and planning a 20 miler next weekend. After that it's taper time!

Did 21 miles in snow and rain this morning... I'll file it under Character Building. Glad to get it done though. Hopefully we'll get a fine day in Paris.

Easing back on the miles a bit from now on.

Did a 12 miler today and planning a 20 miler next weekend. After that it's taper time!
    I had been thinking of doing 20 next week too as im a bit freaked out about having missed some lsrs, but research suggested it was too close to race time to fully recover from running such a distance.

Is your program recommending you do 20?

• Advertisement

coalshed wrote: »
    Is your program recommending you do 20?
    Hey coalshed, yeah you're right, I shouldn't be doing it per Hal Higdon but I missed a week with a cold and also the bad weather and snow hampered a few of my mid week runs so I decided to push the plan out by a week. I think I will be more comfortable having a second 20 miler done even if it's so close to the race.

Is it time to start planning post marathon beers?? I'd have a few suggestions if boardsies are interested.

I did a 20 miler last week in the most awful weather-I thought I'd never get sensation back in my face again. I'm in London, didn't realise you had it bad at home too? Anyway weather has picked up here today-But Apparantly it's not lasting!
    I did a half marathon yesterday and got a PB. Cant believe it, am still walking on air after it. :-)

I did a 20 miler last week in the most awful weather-I thought I'd never get sensation back in my face again. I'm in London, didn't realise you had it bad at home too? Anyway weather has picked up here today-But Apparantly it's not lasting!
    I did a half marathon yesterday and got a PB. Cant believe it, am still walking on air after it. :-)

Very good. Congrats. Just freakishly cold in dublin yesterday. Did a slow 18 today and felt good. :)

I have to say I'm finding it easier to do my lsr's in the cold. Better than the pouring rain! I'm actually a bit worried about how much warmer Paris will be in April. I hope it's not too much of a temperature increase after all our cold weather training.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Hi all from very sunny Vegas! I've surprised myself so far by getting the miles in. It's nice running down the strip early in the morning watching all the all night partiers stagger home as I run by with a smug face!

You"d be proud of me Bon Bon 75!

(Not doing so well as far as food and beer is concerned)

Hi all from very sunny Vegas! I've surprised myself so far by getting the miles in. It's nice running down the strip early in the morning watching all the all night partiers stagger home as I run by with a smug face!

You"d be proud of me Bon Bon 75!

(Not doing so well as far as food and beer is concerned)

Good man Davestator. Nice to hear you are getting the miles in.....thats the main thing.....stick to the plan.

Don't worry too much about the food/beer, you can get a detox in when back.

I have to say I'm finding it easier to do my lsr's in the cold. Better than the pouring rain! I'm actually a bit worried about how much warmer Paris will be in April. I hope it's not too much of a temperature increase after all our cold weather training.

Agreed. But it might be nice to ditch the hat, gloves, windbreaker, etc on the day! :) Fingers crossed.

Is it time to start planning post marathon beers?? I'd have a few suggestions if boardsies are interested.

I'm running with some folks who are coming down from Brussels - and returning there with them in the afternoon but if there are beers going somewhere after the finish I'll try and drop in for one.

Longest run postponed til tomorrow because work was hectic the last few days. Fingers crossed it goes well.

I'd be on for beer (or wine since it's Paris!) after the race!

• Advertisement

Getting ready for an 18 miler this morning. Can anyone reccommend any podcasts to listen to whilst running? I am getting so tired of my my music playlist now!

Advertisement