Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PARIS MARATHON 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Sara2002 wrote: »
    Getting ready for an 18 miler this morning. Can anyone reccommend any podcasts to listen to whilst running? I am getting so tired of my my music playlist now!

I'm guessing you've heard of Marathon Talk?
    http://www.marathontalk.com/

I find the assocaiated Talk Ultra podcasts interesting too, you'll find them on the same site.

There are also lots of history podcasts on every topic you can think of here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/iot

• Registered Users Posts: 20 brando1980

hey

are there many ppl heading over to this? my 2 mates got injured so flying solo

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

coalshed wrote: »
    I'm guessing you've heard of Marathon Talk?
    http://www.marathontalk.com/

I find the assocaiated Talk Ultra podcasts interesting too, you'll find them on the same site.

There are also lots of history podcasts on every topic you can think of here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/iot
    I hadn't actually. But to be honest I've only just started to listen to pod casts full stop. Thanks very much for that.
    I did 18 miles today. I have to admit I didn't enjoy it at all. I felt very tired right from the beginning. I spent a large part (about the first 12 miles!) arguing with my self that I had to do it-Glad I did now. That's my last lsr over with. THANK GOD!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 brando1980

Great podcasts @ WTF

I hadn't actually. But to be honest I've only just started to listen to pod casts full stop. Thanks very much for that.
    I did 18 miles today. I have to admit I didn't enjoy it at all. I felt very tired right from the beginning. I spent a large part (about the first 12 miles!) arguing with my self that I had to do it-Glad I did now. That's my last lsr over with. THANK GOD!!!!

Nice work on getting the lsr done. I'm going to do 16 tomorrow - which is good because child illness and other business has kept me off the road all week!

Audio wise, I recently signed up to Audible.com - I'm listening to Stephen King's latest book at the moment, which is awesome. It's 30 hours long too so that'll cover a few miles :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Coalshed good luck for your run tomorrow-I presume it's your last long one? If so you'll feel great when you've finished! My next run -12 miles- feels like a little stroll in the park now :-)

Coalshed good luck for your run tomorrow-I presume it's your last long one? If so you'll feel great when you've finished! My next run -12 miles- feels like a little stroll in the park now :-)

Thanks. Sixteen miles done, I ran with a pal which was nice as much of my training has been done solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

coalshed wrote: »
    I had been thinking of doing 20 next week too as im a bit freaked out about having missed some lsrs, but research suggested it was too close to race time to fully recover from running such a distance.

Is your program recommending you do 20?

I read a great comment earlier: it's better to be at the start line 95% fit but fresh, than to be there 101% fit but tired..... Taper is there for a reason guys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Gavlor wrote: »
    I read a great comment earlier: it's better to be at the start line 95% fit but fresh, than to be there 101% fit but tired..... Taper is there for a reason guys

:D:D...some man! With the miles you do, you dont need any taper!:pac:

On a serious note though, Gavlor is right a 20 miler 2 weeks out is even stretching it IMO, wouldn't be for me. So any big LSR a week before would be a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »

:D:D...some man! With the miles you do, you dont need any taper!:pac:

On a serious note though, Gavlor is right a 20 miler 2 weeks out is even stretching it IMO, wouldn't be for me. So any big LSR a week before would be a no no.

Haha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 tattycoram

Longest LSR done. It's taper time!

This evening I'm going to make a playlist for the big day. I was thinking of going without my ipod but I figure I'll need as much distraction as possible to get me around the course. What will you guys be listening to? Music, podcasts, a mixture or nothing at all?

tattycoram wrote: »
    Longest LSR done. It's taper time!

This evening I'm going to make a playlist for the big day. I was thinking of going without my ipod but I figure I'll need as much distraction as possible to get me around the course. What will you guys be listening to? Music, podcasts, a mixture or nothing at all?

I may bring some tunes as back up but will mostly be listening to my own ragged breath :)

Gavlor wrote: »

Little risk of me being tired at this rate... I've been Extreme Tapering this week with only 16 miles done.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coco7

Hey, hope everyone is resting up these days :)

Just a reminder about the medical certificate in case anyone has forgotten...they are very strict on this.

Also some tips for the metro in Paris. The mobilis one day pass (between zones 1-2) is great value at €6.60, particularly if you have some supporters following you around! Otherwise, you can buy a carnet of 10 tickets for €13.30. RER tickets cost about €10 from CDG to centre.

And if anyone makes it for a beer after, let me suggest the Honest Lawyer, 176 rue de la Pompe, which is about 5 mins walk from the finish line on Avenue Foch. Probably will be super busy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

And if anyone makes it for a beer after, let me suggest the Honest Lawyer, 176 rue de la Pompe, which is about 5 mins walk from the finish line on Avenue Foch. Probably will be super busy though.[/Quote]

Is there such a thing!!!
    Anyone know is it snowing in Paris too?

Got permission to take leave today! Busiest time of the year next week for us. Looks like I might be still in! :0

Anyone know is it snowing in Paris too?
    No snow in Paris at the moment, just bitterly cold :(

coco7 wrote: »
    No snow in Paris at the moment, just bitterly cold :(

Should suite the Irish so! : )
    Looking at the starting line - how long will it take til the last ( pink) section is let off? Is it really 4 hours after the elite runners in the first bracket? From people's experience do you just bring an extra jumper & then throw it away as you start? You'll hardly be let back into the bag area at that stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Should suite the Irish so! : )
    Looking at the starting line - how long will it take til the last ( pink) section is let off? Is it really 4 hours after the elite runners in the first bracket? From people's experience do you just bring an extra jumper & then throw it away as you start? You'll hardly be let back into the bag area at that stage?

When I've done other races, i've just worn something old that i can throw away just before the gun. In Dublin, they give these disgarded clothes to charity, so you're not littering!

My reading of the start is that the elites are being let off early and then its everyone else. Just a matter of getting to the start line, so with 50k, it could take 30 minutes or so. I'm open to correction though

Em - getting v nervous! What happens after 5 or 6 miles if you need to walk for a bit. Will you get trampled by the hoards behind you ?

Em - getting v nervous! What happens after 5 or 6 miles if you need to walk for a bit. Will you get trampled by the hoards behind you ?

It depends what wave you're in. If you do need to walk, get to the side out of the way as much as you can!

Won't happen though.

'Trust your fitness'

• Advertisement

I don't want to alarm anybody, but this time next week, we'll be running around Paris!

Weather looks good for running, so hopefully the wind keeps down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BonBon75

I don't want to alarm anybody, but this time next week, we'll be running around Paris!

Weather looks good for running, so hopefully the wind keeps down.

Let's just say......I'm giddy!!! Bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Good luck everyone doing this, really enjoyed it last year, far more than Berlin or any other marathon I have taken part in.

One thing from last year, I went to the Expo late Saturday morning [to get number etc] and the queue to get in was gigantic and a real buzz kill, as clearly a huge percentage of folks went around that time. So pick your expo time with care. If I was going back I would go the second I got into Paris on Friday night or aimed to get there for the second it opened Saturday morning, not had breakfast before going etc.

Good luck everyone doing this, really enjoyed it last year, far more than Berlin or any other marathon I have taken part in.

One thing from last year, I went to the Expo late Saturday morning [to get number etc] and the queue to get in was gigantic and a real buzz kill, as clearly a huge percentage of folks went around that time. So pick your expo time with care. If I was going back I would go the second I got into Paris on Friday night or aimed to get there for the second it opened Saturday morning, not had breakfast before going etc.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately won't arrive in Paris until early afternoon on Saturday so the expo will probably be at its busiest in spite of going straight there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Is there a decent (secure / sheltered) bag drop area? Just wondering about leaving a phone and a few bits of clothing for afterwards...

Also, I think I remember seeing during registration that if you're in the 3 hour or 3:15 wave (I'm in the yellow 3:15 wave) you need proof of a recent race result - is that really the case? I don't know what to bring for that if they do... I haven't done a marathon in 2 years, did my most recent half last July and a 10 miler about a month ago but have nothing "certifiable" from them apart from the result on the website. Can I just go and play dumb on that?

Is there a decent (secure / sheltered) bag drop area? Just wondering about leaving a phone and a few bits of clothing for afterwards...

Also, I think I remember seeing during registration that if you're in the 3 hour or 3:15 wave (I'm in the yellow 3:15 wave) you need proof of a recent race result - is that really the case? I don't know what to bring for that if they do... I haven't done a marathon in 2 years, did my most recent half last July and a 10 miler about a month ago but have nothing "certifiable" from them apart from the result on the website. Can I just go and play dumb on that?

With regard to bag drop, my pals who did Paris last year left their full baggage with passports etc. at the bag drop so my guess is that it should be fairly secure. I'll be leaving all my worldly goods there for the duration of the race. Contact me for a full legal disclaimer to this post. :)

Don't know about the proof of speed thing...maybe bring print outs from the results websites?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

yes there is a bag drop, there is one right near the metro station you will exit for start finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

It said if you want to enter the elite - that is under 3h, you enter the 3 or 3h15 and send them proof of having completed a marathon in under 3h and they'll change your entry.

It's not looking good for me. Tore my calf snowboarding, went to the physio last Thursday and he laughed at me when I told him I was planning on doing a marathon on Sunday. He also called me a twat for having gone snowboarding while training for a marathon - something I agreed with.

Haven't ran in 4 weeks. Will try tomorrow and decide after my physio session on Thursday if I'll run or not. Might start and then drop out although my pride will be severely hurt by dropping out.

Seems you might need proof for those zones... From the website:

The red and yellow starting zones are reserved to runners who provide proof of previous race results obtained within the last two years.

* Elite and Preferentials runners could register directly online on the red and yellow starting zone. They just have to send us performances proofs before the end of November, and we will be able to change their race number.

I don't have to worry about that anyways, I'll just try and finish it :)
    Weather is still cold here in Paris, looks like it might get a few degrees warmer by Sunday (still less than 10 though).

• Advertisement

Last run done - 3 miles felt like 20 for some reason - the demons are getting into my head now!

Advertisement