Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zyxel Router Issue?

Options
  • 10-11-2012 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Been using NGB for about a month now and it's been working fine until last night - all device connections to router lost (all lights on as normal) Router showed up on list of devices, but would not connect. This morning I restarted the router but still the same. I did a factory reset of the router and all was well. Since then though, the router goes through bursts of dropping connections and then reconnecting quickly (4 or 5 times a minute) These last for about 20 minutes at a time and then it will stabilise again. Download speed, when I can connect, is not affected. Seems to be a router issue I reckon. I changed the channel from 6 to 11 on the router in case I'm getting interference from a neighbour etc but made no difference. Any thoughts? Is there an update I can do?

Details of my router are:
    P-660HN-T1A_IPv6
    Firmware:
    1.02(VBC.2)D0

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

that is the latest firmware version, is the dsl connection stable, just the wireless dropping off?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭sumo12

allen175 wrote: »
    that is the latest firmware version, is the dsl connection stable, just the wireless dropping off?
    Yes just the wireless dropping off. Affecting all devices, iPhone iPad and pc.

sumo12 wrote: »
    Yes just the wireless dropping off. Affecting all devices, iPhone iPad and pc.

Gone completely now. Can see the router from all devices but will not connect. 2 factory resets and umpteen power off and on. I reckon my router is banjoed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

try changing the security settings, if they don't work, then its gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Gone completely now. Can see the router from all devices but will not connect. 2 factory resets and umpteen power off and on. I reckon my router is banjoed?

Hi sumo12
    I would certanly advise that you give our tech support team a call on 1890260260 to have them test this with you. Could you connect via ethernet before calling as this allows technician to test true connection there.
    You should get a fault ref number. If you PM this ref number I can then chase this for you .
    Tony

• Advertisement

Thanks Tony, I've been on to tech support and they think the router is goosed, they are organising a new one. But lo and behold it's working fine again today! I can't explain it, will keep an eye and see how it is the next day or two.
    Cheers
    SUMO

Thanks Tony, I've been on to tech support and they think the router is goosed, they are organising a new one. But lo and behold it's working fine again today! I can't explain it, will keep an eye and see how it is the next day or two.
    Cheers
    SUMO

Ha didn't last long - gone again. New router it is then..!

Hi Tony, sent you pm. Cheers
    SUMO

Exactly the same fault again with the replacement router today. All green lights on modem, devices can see modem but cannot connect to it. I have done hard reset x 5 and on one occasion managed to access the router briefly (192.168.1.254) and accessed internet for less than 1 minute before it was gone again. I have done all the usual stuff, turned it off for 5 minutes, unplugged everything etc but no joy. I'm seriously beginning to think that these routers are crap. I can't believe I'm going to be without internet for another 10 days while I contact tech support and jump through all the hoops and then wait for another modem to be delivered.
    Firstly, can anyone from Eircom help ???
    Second, can anyone on here recommend a decent modem that doesn't die every 3 months.

SUMO

P.S. I cannot connect via Ethernet - PC upstairs, modem downstairs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Exactly the same fault again with the replacement router today. All green lights on modem, devices can see modem but cannot connect to it. I have done hard reset x 5 and on one occasion managed to access the router briefly (192.168.1.254) and accessed internet for less than 1 minute before it was gone again. I have done all the usual stuff, turned it off for 5 minutes, unplugged everything etc but no joy. I'm seriously beginning to think that these routers are crap. I can't believe I'm going to be without internet for another 10 days while I contact tech support and jump through all the hoops and then wait for another modem to be delivered.
    Firstly, can anyone from Eircom help ???
    Second, can anyone on here recommend a decent modem that doesn't die every 3 months.

SUMO

P.S. I cannot connect via Ethernet - PC upstairs, modem downstairs....

Hi sumo12,

Are you still having the same issues today? the last time was in November of 2012. So the two incidents are not necessarily connected.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hi sumo12,

Are you still having the same issues today? the last time was in November of 2012. So the two incidents are not necessarily connected.

Thanks, Mark
    Hi Mark
    Thanks for the reply-
    Yes you are quite right, they are not connected at all as this is a replacement router that I got in Nov 2012. Only connection between the two incidents is that the problem has manifested itself in exactly the same way and the symptoms are identical.
    Last night after approx 10 hard resets of the modem, I got it to stay connected long enough to change the wifi channel to channel 2 and it worked on all devices for a couple of hours. This morning before work, it was gone again - my phone could see the network but could not connect to it.

Hi Mark
    Thanks for the reply-
    Yes you are quite right, they are not connected at all as this is a replacement router that I got in Nov 2012. Only connection between the two incidents is that the problem has manifested itself in exactly the same way and the symptoms are identical.
    Last night after approx 10 hard resets of the modem, I got it to stay connected long enough to change the wifi channel to channel 2 and it worked on all devices for a couple of hours. This morning before work, it was gone again - my phone could see the network but could not connect to it.

Hi sumo12,

I ran some tests on the telephone line and broadband connection the main socket and everything is testing fine.

We have set up some tips on our forum. It may help going through them to see if that helps connect to the different devices.

- http://bit.ly/PlpCli

Thanks, Mark

Hi sumo12,

I ran some tests on the telephone line and broadband connection the main socket and everything is testing fine.

We have set up some tips on our forum. It may help going through them to see if that helps connect to the different devices.

- http://bit.ly/PlpCli

Thanks, Mark
    Hi Mark
    Thanks for doing the tests - I agree, once I am connected to the modem, the broadband is perfect, I am very happy with it. Problem is getting connected! I will try some of the steps in your tips section tonight, however I fail to see why this has suddenly happened having not moved the modem or anything around it. I am still using the same 5 devices to connect to it as well. If nothing else works, I will call technical support tonight.

Hi Mark
    Thanks for doing the tests - I agree, once I am connected to the modem, the broadband is perfect, I am very happy with it. Problem is getting connected! I will try some of the steps in your tips section tonight, however I fail to see why this has suddenly happened having not moved the modem or anything around it. I am still using the same 5 devices to connect to it as well. If nothing else works, I will call technical support tonight.

Hi sumo12,

Thanks for taking the time to go through the tips, let me know how the call with broadband support goes.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark

Hi sumo12,

Just following up, did you manage to call support or get the device connected in the end?

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark
    Thanks for following up - it would appear I need to apologise for being sceptical of your helpful suggestions. It seems the router is incredibly sensitive to changes in location which allow for interference to block the wifi signal. The router got moved about 8 inches across the hall table and this was enough to cause the problems I highlighted. I moved it back to the original position and it's been working perfectly ever since. 

Cheers
    Sumo

Hi Mark
    Thanks for following up - it would appear I need to apologise for being sceptical of your helpful suggestions. It seems the router is incredibly sensitive to changes in location which allow for interference to block the wifi signal. The router got moved about 8 inches across the hall table and this was enough to cause the problems I highlighted. I moved it back to the original position and it's been working perfectly ever since. 

Cheers
    Sumo

Hi Sumo,

No problem, glad to hear it.

I really appreciate you getting back to us and updating the thread.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement