Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java / Hibernate / Reverse Engineering / @GeneratedValue

Options
  • 10-11-2012 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hello

I'm having a few problems with Hibernate, and I'm hoping someone can help me spread some light on it.

I've created a database table ( in PostgreSQL ), which has an automatically incrementing ( using a sequence ) primary key. In Netbeans ( v7.2.1 ), I created an annotated class to map to this table, which has methods corresponding to each column. The primary key has the @Id annotation, but doesn't have a @GeneratedValue type one.

This means that whenever I try to insert a row using this class, that I cannot do so without specifying value for the id column.

Adding the annotation @GeneratedValue(strategy= GenerationType.IDENTITY) manually allows me to use this, but in the longer term, I'll be making several changes as time goes on to these tables, and I really don't want to be manually adding that annotation every time.

During the past 3 days searching, I've tried adding sections to the hibernate.reveng.xml file that was generated. This didn't help.
      <table name="table_name">
          <primary-key>
              <generator class="identity" />
              <key-column name="id" />
          </primary-key>
      </table>

Another thing that uncle Google surfaced up, was creating a custom Reverse Engineering strategy, but I can find very little in terms of documentation on how to do that.

I'd appreciate any pointers anyone would have in the right direction.

Disclosure: This is part of a college assignment, but not one directly related to hibernate. The project is to build a service, and Hibernate is a tool chosen to assist with data persistence.

Also: I may be missing something very obvious here to seasoned java developers - I've only been using Java for about a month - I spend the rest of my life so far as a sysadmin with higher level languages ( Perl, Python, etc )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Postgres uses sequences which have to be created manually and you should assign "sequence" and pass the name of the sequence.
    <generator class="sequence">
                    <param name="sequence">sequence name</param>
            </generator>

• Registered Users Posts: 24 RBX

Giblet wrote: »
                    <param name="sequence">sequence name</param>
            </generator>

Thanks Giblet - I just tried that, but it's not having the desired effect. I'm still not getting any @GeneratedValue like annotations.

Incase I'm missing something silly, here's my full hibernate.reveng.xml as it now stands:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE hibernate-reverse-engineering PUBLIC "-//Hibernate/Hibernate Reverse Engineering DTD 3.0//EN" "http://hibernate.sourceforge.net/hibernate-reverse-engineering-3.0.dtd">
    <hibernate-reverse-engineering>
      <schema-selection match-catalog="ressys"/>

<table name="legs" schema="ressys" class="Legs">
          <primary-key>
                  <param name="sequence">legs_id_seq</param>
              </generator>
              <key-column name="id" />
          </primary-key>
      </table>

</hibernate-reverse-engineering>

Ok - it seems this is somehow related to the use of PostgreSQL; probably in one of the hibernate/jdbc drivers used to generate the code.

I tried the same exercise in MySQL, and the @GeneratedValue is inserted as expected.

I now need to figure out if I'm missing something in my PostgreSQL table to let hibernate know that this should have a @GeneratedValue annotation.

For my use case, I worked around the problem in this case by switching to MySQL. This was feasible in this case since I'm time bound, and it's not a course in databases. I just documented in my writeup that if Hibernate, PostgreSQL, and reverse Engineering worked correctly, then I would have used the constraint features available in PostgreSQL, and how I'd have used them.

Thanks anyway for the pointer Giblet.

I guess the only thing remaining in this thread is changing [Question] to [WorkedAround] or [Solved] or something.

Advertisement