Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McClean refuses to wear poppy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lol at the poppy stuff being "non political".

McClean made a choice he should have had the right to make, should be a non issue. Of course, one should have had the choice to point out that Jade Goody was a talentless bint in the aftermath of her passing. Ain't modern society wonderful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I live in the Uk and have been shouted at by people in town when I refuse to buy a poppy. When I tell them that I am Irish they tell me that is all the more reason to wear it.

I have tried to explain to people that I am not willing to donate to support people who may been involved in the murder of Irish people as little as 20ish years ago, many of whom have never faced justice. Then I suggest that if they lived in Afghanistan and they had a similar organisation for ex and serving members of the Afghan military, would they support them? Some people have agreed that I have the right not to buy, others have just said that I am racist.

Opinions run high on this over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I live in the Uk and have been shouted at by people in town when I refuse to buy a poppy

I must say, I have not experienced this in Glasgow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I must say, I have not experienced this in Glasgow

I have never experienced wherever we lived in the UK either. I have never known the RBL to be pushy salesmen of the poppy, usually they just sit there on counters with a collection tin.

Incidentally my brother refuses to wear a poppy and has NEVER had a problem in the UK, 40 plus years and counting.

Not the legion guys generally, they are decent sorts. More often when the soldiers or ex soldiers or whatever are on there 'helping out'

• Advertisement

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Incidentally my brother refuses to wear a poppy and has NEVER had a problem in the UK, 40 plus years and counting.

It has not been an issue over the last 40 years though has it, it has only become such a polarising factor in the last 4-5 years for some reason. Previously there was no pressure, political, social or whatever to wear one.

These are just two I found in a quick search highlighting the growing unease that some have over 'poppy fascism'.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/tvandradioblog/2007/oct/10/whyiwontbewearingapoppy

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/poppy-campaign-has-no-right-to-demand-conformity-8293573.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

It has not been an issue over the last 40 years though has it, it has only become such a polarising factor in the last 4-5 years for some reason. Previously there was no pressure, political, social or whatever to wear one.

These are just two I found in a quick search highlighting the growing unease that some have over 'poppy fascism'.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/tvandradioblog/2007/oct/10/whyiwontbewearingapoppy

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/poppy-campaign-has-no-right-to-demand-conformity-8293573.html

Both articles linked are excellent reads.I posted an article from the Independent a few posts back that is another one worth a read.

The articles are correct in their assertions but in practice, honestly, most people are not challenged on the fact they aren't wearing a poppy in day to day life in the UK. Many people, many English people, are uncomfortable wearing one, and as I say, my brother does not wear one for political reasons. He is management level in a University and has never once, to my knowledge anyway, been challenged about the whereabouts or otherwise of his poppy.

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Both articles linked are excellent reads.I posted an article from the Independent a few posts back that is another one worth a read.

The articles are correct in their assertions but in practice, honestly, most people are not challenged on the fact they aren't wearing a poppy in day to day life in the UK. Many people, many English people, are uncomfortable wearing one, and as I say, my brother does not wear one for political reasons. He is management level in a University and has never once, to my knowledge anyway, been challenged about the whereabouts or otherwise of his poppy.
    Not much I can say to that, he hasn't, I have, I am probably a lot younger than your brother so perhaps people see it and think I am just a young hoodlum that does not buy one. I have no idea. I have experienced abuse for this, he has not, c'est la vie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Watching MOTD and I don't think Martin O'Neill had a poppy either. What's the big deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Imagine if the FAI told the National team players to wear the Easter Lilly.The question is,would all of them wear it.??

League of Ireland clubs were instructed upon the death of the head of the Roman Catholic church (the same criminal organisation who facilitated the rape and torture of Irish children for decades) in 2005 by the Football Association of Ireland to observe a minute's silence at the following weekend's games. I'd love to know if this also happened at junior and schoolboy/girls matches.

Another great move by Delaney bringing religion into football :rolleyes: and insulting the victims of Roman Catholic terrorism. :mad:

• Advertisement

decisions wrote: »
    Watching MOTD and I don't think Martin O'Neill had a poppy either. What's the big deal?
    He didn't but he changed into one after the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

6 people from James McClean's Creggan estate died on Bloody Sunday. There is a why.

Thats what I have saw going around twitter , I wonder do people understand now !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I'd have a grain of time for McClean if he made a statement outlining his opposition. He doesn't because he isn't clever enough to be perfectly honest. Twatter is his level of hit and run engagement.

Are you for real? Not only does he have to put up with abuse for choosing not to wear a poppy, but now he has to explain himself for his decision?

I've always said I can understand both the idea of wearing one, and the idea of not wearing one. It's a personal choice and I respect people's choices either way. I don't believe anyone should have to explain their choice to either wear or not wear it. I also believe that most people are not trying to make a political statement by wearing it, they are just showing genuine respect to their war dead. At the same time, I totally understand the reasons why people choose not to wear a poppy, and I think it's disrespectful to expect an explanation for such.

I do have a major problem with people being expected to wear it though. Football clubs imo should leave this totally with the players, and players should have to request a shirt with a poppy rather than having to request one without a poppy (if that's what actually happened in the case of McClean).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

PauloMN wrote: »
    Are you for real? Not only does he have to put up with abuse for choosing not to wear a poppy, but now he has to explain himself for his decision?

I think the point being made was that at least some of the abuse he's getting is because he hasn't explained the decision.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

osarusan wrote: »
    I think the point being made was that at least some of the abuse he's getting is because he hasn't explained the decision.

And my point is why should he have to explain his decision? It's his own business, nobody else's, and aside from that, it's a ridiculous expectation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Zebra3 wrote: »
    League of Ireland clubs were instructed upon the death of the head of the Roman Catholic church (the same criminal organisation who facilitated the rape and torture of Irish children for decades) in 2005 by the Football Association of Ireland to observe a minute's silence at the following weekend's games. I'd love to know if this also happened at junior and schoolboy/girls matches.

Another great move by Delaney bringing religion into football :rolleyes: and insulting the victims of Roman Catholic terrorism. :mad:

I think that might of been because Pope John Paul invited the Irish Soccer team to the Vatican during Italia 90.He also loved soccer and was a goalkeeper during his youth.Was this not a reason for the FAI to remember him??:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

fionnsda wrote: »
    10 years ago no football team wore poppys, now they all do and you get vilified if you dare to refuse, whats changed?

they probably found better ways to try and justify their warmongering.
    Rascasse wrote: »
    It is for the benefit of those who are or were in the military and their families. They take no position on whether the wars are just or not.

the military personnel take no position on whether the wars are just???:eek:

ok, lets use the black and tans. as they kind of stood out in irish history. they torture,murder,rape,evict innocent civilians but dont ask them what their position on the war was.:confused:

PauloMN wrote: »
    And my point is why should he have to explain his decision? It's his own business, nobody else's, and aside from that, it's a ridiculous expectation.

Because if he did explain his reasons for not wearing one (presumably from growing up where and when he did), I'd guess that the level of abuse would drop.

Of course he doesn't have to do it (but I disagree that it's a 'ridiculous expectation'), but would it not improve the sitation?

Because if he did explain his reasons for not wearing one (presumably from growing up where and when he did), I'd guess that the level of abuse would drop.

Of course he doesn't have to do it (but I disagree that it's a 'ridiculous expectation'), but would it not improve the sitation?

Having to explain himself would be pathetic. Why should he appease those who choose to abuse him by explaining his decision? Are they somehow entitled to an explanation? They are the ones with the problem, not him.

Nobody should have to explain their decision to either wear it or not wear it. It's a personal choice.

If some of the abuse he's getting is due to people not knowing his reasons for refusing to wear a poppy, then an explanation of those reasons would reduce the abuse he's getting.

I don't see what is so 'ridiculous' or 'pathetic' at all about him explaining his decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

With him being a Derryman, I can totally understand why he won't wear a poppy.

I'm wearing a poppy for the whole month though. Even though I don't have any relatives who died in either world wars and would be regarded as nationalistic as anyone else, I think it right to honour the ordinary soldier, be he British or Irish, who died on the battlefield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

and why should he have to? He's from the Creggan ffs, does anyone really have to ask for an explanation?

Are the general population so ignorant that a young lad from the Creggan has to explain why he wont wear a poppy?? And there is no situation, only one that is being manufactured by The Sun, Daily Mail etc. ffs open your eyes

Zebra3 wrote: »

Was this the case. seriously?? I often thnk Delaney would have been a perfect candidate for a cardinal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

If some of the abuse he's getting is due to people not knowing his reasons for refusing to wear a poppy, then an explanation of those reasons would reduce the abuse he's getting.

I don't see what is so 'ridiculous' or 'pathetic' at all about him explaining his decision.

But no one is due an explanation because no one has the right to expect someone to support the same causes as them. If he explains himself then he's just playing into the notion that unless you have a good reason you should wear a poppy which is ludicrous. If this was about someone having abused another person for not wearing a daffodil on daffodil day, demanding an explanation, maybe even insinuating they hate cancer victims, people would be appalled at such actions. No one would say well "maybe they should just explain why so the scumbag that abused them might understand better."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

In this day and age, anyone who cares enough to get worked up about it should be worked up enough to spend two minutes on Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Whatever about the poppy issue but he may have the worst cross completion rate this season of any player in the history of the the premiership, I keep comprehensive records on this type of thing and I can't find anyone worse, wp James, genuinely atrocious.

Fair play to him. He's gone up in my opinion. Well done lad.

He's an absolute dunce anyway, not too far from being mentally challenged.

• Advertisement

Rekop dog wrote: »
    He's an absolute dunce anyway, not too far from being mentally challenged.

Yeah, sticking up for what he believes in is a bad thing.

Ffs

The lad should be applauded and not abused.

rarnes1 wrote: »

Yeah, sticking up for what he believes in is a bad thing.

Ffs

The lad should be applauded and not abused.

It's more an attack on his playing style than anything, he's a simpleton simple as.

It's more an attack on his playing style than anything, he's a simpleton simple as.

What's his playing style got to do with wearing a poppy?

rarnes1 wrote: »

What's his playing style got to do with wearing a poppy?

Simple is as simple does!

Simple is as simple does!

Great response.

If he was simple as you seem to think he is he'd have followed the herd and put a poppy on. For personal reasons he hasnt and should be commended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I think that might of been because Pope John Paul invited the Irish Soccer team to the Vatican during Italia 90.He also loved soccer and was a goalkeeper during his youth.Was this not a reason for the FAI to remember him??:rolleyes:

I couldn't care less what the reason was.

That bloke was the head of an organisation that was involved in raping kids. I don't want to go to football matches and have a minute's silence in tribute to someone like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

James McClean in attention shocker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I am starting to think that James McClean suffers some kind of mental retardation. Just wear the damn thing and keep your mouth shut.

I am starting to think that the poppy fascists suffer some kind of mental retardation. Just don't expect everyone to wear the damn thing and keep your mouth shut.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I am starting to think that James McClean suffers some kind of mental retardation. Just wear the damn thing and keep your mouth shut.
    Are you for real? Would love to see you wearing a poppy around the Bogside in Derry.

I am starting to think that the poppy fascists suffer some kind of mental retardation. Just don't expect everyone to wear the damn thing and keep your mouth shut.
    He's a British footballer in a British league, it's not asking too much to expect him to wear it.

• Advertisement

cournioni wrote: »
    Are you for real? Would love to see you wearing a poppy around the Bogside in Derry.
    Would wear it with pride if I had to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Surely it should be a personal choice if you wear one or not. Not a big deal not wearing one if you are a) Irish and b) from a contentious area (what would the people of Derry think of him if he did).

If people are offended by his choice not to wear one then they should take a long look at themselves. It's not as if he wore an anti-British badge.

He's a British footballer in a British league, it's not asking too much to expect him to wear it.

Yes it is, there should be no expectations of wearing a poppy

Would wear it with pride if I had to.

Everything that is wrong about this time of year. Wear it with pride if you want to not if you had to :confused:

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

His passport says he's Irish, so I'm sure he'll beg to differ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I have not read back over too many pages so might be repeating what is already said but if I were a pro footballer in England yesterday I would have requested a green poppy.
    It would be to remember the 50k or so Irish soldiers who died fighting for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

grenache wrote: »
    With him being a Derryman, I can totally understand why he won't wear a poppy.

I'm wearing a poppy for the whole month though. Even though I don't have any relatives who died in either world wars and would be regarded as nationalistic as anyone I think it right to honour the ordinary soldier, be he British or Irish, who died on the battlefield.

Why don't you wear a white poppy so? At least that way you know that your money isn't going to fund British soldiers that have killed Irish kids on Irish streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Politics and Football should just move as far apart as it can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Politics and Football should just move as far apart as it can.
    Agree no player anywhere should feel under pressure to wear any political badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Just wear the damn thing and keep your mouth shut.
    That's a shocking attitude, just do what your told to do regardless of your believe, I'd rather stand out this morning and be slated for not wearing it than have worn it just to appease sensitive souls like yourself

• Advertisement
Advertisement