Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McClean refuses to wear poppy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Soups123 wrote: »
    That's a shocking attitude, just do what your told to do regardless of your believe, I'd rather stand out this morning and be slated for not wearing it than have worn it just to appease sensitive souls like yourself

I dont think its as straight forward as Francie barrett is making it out, but I think I would have bit my tongue and worn the thing to avoid the attention he is bound to get.

If James McClean feels so strongly about it, then you could go so far as to ask why he lives and works in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I dont think its as straight forward as Francie barrett is making it out, but I think I would have bit my tongue and worn the thing to avoid the attention he is bound to get.

If James McClean feels so strongly about it, then you could go so far as to ask why he lives and works in England.
    Many people go to England to live and work but that doesn't mean you have to follow every political gesture. He shouldn't be under any pressure to do so.

If you worked for a British company and were forced to wear the poppy or be unfairly treated for not that company would open to all sorts of claims.

Freedom of speech, freedom of choice should be for everyone not everyone except professional footballers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

How could you go that far?

Living/working in England does not mean you are remembering the Armed Forces members that died in the line of duty, it is not comparable to wearing a symbol of memorial day.

I am starting to think that James McClean suffers some kind of mental retardation. Just wear the damn thing and keep your mouth shut.

That post is just ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

DM-ICE wrote: »
    How could you go that far?

Living/working in England does not mean you are remembering the Armed Forces members that died in the line of duty, it is not comparable to wearing a symbol of memorial day.

He's clearly making some sort of statement, its just a piece of plastic I wouldnt have any issue letting it go....

So if he's making this statement then I think it is relevant that he lives/works in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Why?

Legally he's allowed be there, he pays a savage amount of tax but now you feel he's wrong to bow to poppy fascists?

Crazy attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I am starting to think that James McClean suffers some kind of mental retardation. Just wear the damn thing and keep your mouth shut.

Thank god we're not all sheep like you. Maybe you dont have an independent mind and go along with what the establishment tells you to do, but dont judge everyone on your own low satndards

cournioni wrote: »
    Are you for real? Would love to see you wearing a poppy around the Bogside in Derry.

I would love to see this

What a stupid thing to say. There is a significant section of the British population who would feel the same way as him. Should they all up and leave too? There is plenty i despise about present day Ireland, should i leave?

• Advertisement

He's clearly making some sort of statement, its just a piece of plastic I wouldnt have any issue letting it go....

So if he's making this statement then I think it is relevant that he lives/works in England.

and if he wears it, he's making a statement as well isnt he? One that obviously he does not agree with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

This has nothing to do soccer but highlights the pressure and ridiculous expectation of foreign nationals to wear one. 2 years ago I worked for a European agency regarding the protection of children online. I was being sent as a representative to London to talk on a well known radio station about the topic. I received a script of the questions to prepare and one segment was about children of military parents being vulnerable online due to the absence of the parent and them using the internet as a surrogate. One of the questions referred to me wearing a poppy as it was that time of year. I raised issue of that question as I wouldn't be wearing one. For my own personal reasons and the fact any political statements were forbidden by the organization. My appearance was cancelled over it. I had flights booked from Belgium and a hotel reservation. Couldn't believe they couldn't have just left out the reference. I was in a radio studio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

James McClean was 100% right not to wear it! The real disgrace here is that people are being strong armed into wearing it if they don't agree with the purpose of the poppies!

If you want to wear it, wear it... If not, then don't. I don't understand why there is such a sense of grievance against someone for not wearing it or for that matter those who do chose to wear them! People would want to learn to mind their own business!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Pat Fenlon and a few of the Hibs players are not wearing one at the minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

How typically cowardly of the Daily Mail not to even mention what might have happened in Derry in 1972 to motivate McClean's decision. No doubt comments have been disabled in case anyone does their job for them :rolleyes:

how typical of someone - especially the rolleyes brigade - not to bother reading the story and just ploughing on to get a dig in at a red top newspaper
    But many Twitter followers jumped to his defence last night and, like former England captain Rio Ferdinand, many feel McClean was within his rights to take a personal decision not to wear a garment supporting a cause that he cannot.
    McClean was bought from Derry City, his home club, where his insatiable desire to become a Premier League footballer stood out in one of the most deprived areas of the United Kingdom and Ireland.
    He was brought up on the Creggan Estate, close to the scene of the Bloody Sunday massacre in 1972. Two years ago Prime Minister David Cameron apologised for the murder of 14 civilians at the hands of British soldiers.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2231071/James-McClean-refuses-wear-poppy.html#ixzz2BvKRDEGk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

batistuta9 wrote: »
    how typical of someone - especially the rolleyes brigade - not to bother reading the story and just ploughing on to get a dig in at a red top newspaper

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2231071/James-McClean-refuses-wear-poppy.html#ixzz2BvKRDEGk

That part wasn't in the article last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

ShooterSF wrote: »
    That part wasn't in the article last night.

was it not, that must be what they edited in this morning then

apologies to BhoscaCapall then

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

LOL 15 pages on this thread so far :D Who gives a fcuk really :confused: I'm guessing most people that have posted in this thread didn't wear one either and who gives a fcuk.I tried to enter the soccer forum but must of clicked the religion forum :eek:

mixed up wrote: »
    LOL 15 pages on this thread so far :D Who gives a fcuk really :confused: I'm guessing most people that have posted in this thread didn't wear one either and who gives a fcuk.I tried to enter the soccer forum but must of clicked the religion forum :eek:

Actually lots of people care as evidenced by the reactions and nobody has mentioned religion , cop on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Points out that he didn't read the thread and then goes ahead an proves it. I wouldn't have bothered but to make a point on your religion comment. The poppy is not a religious issue, neither is the situation in the north. It's often mistaken as a dispute between Catholics and Protestants but that's merely coincidence. It's conflict between Nationalists and Loyalists and no one is petrol bombing each other of whether transubstantiation is metaphorical or literal.

I only address this as this treating of religion as part of the issue is wrong and dangerously imo makes debates on actual religion more difficult.

Actually lots of people care as evidenced by the reactions and nobody has mentioned religion , cop on

LOL people have very little to care about if there are seriously worried if a person wears a poppy or not.I think it's safe to say they should get a life to be honest.

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Points out that he didn't read the thread and then goes ahead an proves it. I wouldn't have bothered but to make a point on your religion comment. The poppy is not a religious issue, neither is the situation in the north. It's often mistaken as a dispute between Catholics and Protestants but that's merely coincidence. It's conflict between Nationalists and Loyalists and no one is petrol bombing each other of whether transubstantiation is metaphorical or literal.

I only address this as this treating of religion as part of the issue is wrong and dangerously imo makes debates on actual religion more difficult.

I'm sorry about religion just went on a rant.I guess he should of wore the poppy because it's terrible that all these people were killed in war unlike the poor irish people that were killed by the english but lets forget about that and wear the poppy :rolleyes:

LOL people have very little to care about if there are seriously worried if a person wears a poppy or not.I think it's safe to say they should get a life to be honest.

The people attacking McClean obv care, im merely defending him for doing what he believes to be correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I can't for the life of me undestand why any symbols should be displayed by footballers(other than their team crests or whatever)! Yes have a minutes silence today but this poppy thing is getting wayyy out of control! I live in Glasgow too and I'd say around 25 - 30% of people wear a poppy on rememberence sunday and most of those would be older folk(me, I wear my white poppy with pride - even if I do get some odd looks:rolleyes:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Well, McClean obviously thinks differently given that the piece of plastic is a fundraiser for terrorists who came into his community and murdered local civilians.

MANUTD99 wrote: »

And none of the Celtic players wearing one. Politics don't belong in sport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

And none of the Celtic players wearing one. Politics don't belong in sport

Celtic donated 10k to Poppy Scotland instead. The other teams are all auctioning/raffling theirs to fundraise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Admittedly I haven't read the entire thread, but does anyone know when wearing the Poppy became such a big thing in Sport? sad to see how big a controversy this has become, he elected to wear his normal jersey rather than one supporting a particular cause, and he gets ridiculed? madness! he needs to get a few decisive goals in if he wants to get the fans back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

guttenberg wrote: »
    Admittedly I haven't read the entire thread, but does anyone know when wearing the Poppy became such a big thing in Sport? sad to see how big a controversy this has become, he elected to wear his normal jersey rather than one supporting a particular cause, and he gets ridiculed? madness! he needs to get a few decisive goals in if he wants to get the fans back on track.

Seems to be in the last 6-7 years it's really came to the fore.

As I said earlier in the thread it's everyone's decision whether they wear it or not, it doesn't make him a 'hero to Irish people', nor does it make him a bad guy.

Rod Stewart wore a white poppy on the Graham Norton show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Rod Stewart wore a white poppy on the Graham Norton show

Yes I saw that but he did have on one of those little poppy badges(very celeb if you ask me;))

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

I can 100% guarantee you that that was not part of the original article. I read it, and even did a CTRL+F to make sure I hadn't missed it.

The fact it's been tacked onto the end is obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I can also verify that the Daily Mail story is now 'Updated'.The original story said nothing about Bloody Sunday.It was only wipping up hatred against McClean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Ah yes, we should be delighted that Britain, fighting for the right of small nations to be free (whilst being the world's largest coloniser), fought fascism on behalf of us all... but their fascist attitudes are alive and well when it comes to the poppy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If people got as much anger about own own Government as they do about who or who does not wear Poppy in entirely different Country we be little better off.

Lets blame our own **** ups on British too sure.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

If people got as much anger about own own Government as they do about who or who does not wear Poppy in entirely different Country we be little better off.

Lets blame our own **** ups on British too sure.:rolleyes:

People are angry about what other people think of someone not wearing a poppy, not about who or who does not wear a poppy. Every right to speak up if they think it's a harsh judgement being cast down on McLean, which it is IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Dont know why everyone cares so much.

He made a choice as is his right.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

woodoo wrote: »

Typical tabloid nonsense from start to finish.

For starters, he "refused" to wear a poppy? If he refused, that means he was asked to wear one. You should not be asked to wear one, that's the whole problem with this poppy thing - it should be a choice to wear one or not, rather than something expected that you have to refuse/turn down.

Then the "respectful" comment under each photo, suggesting McClean was being disrespectful. The only disrespectful thing is this poppy saga is someone being put into a situation where they have to request not to wear a symbol they might feel is divisive.

Finally the "poll" - should McClean have worn a poppy shirt? How can anyone except the boy himself answer that? A more suitable question would be "Should football clubs expect their players to wear a poppy on their shirts when it is a personal choice?".

I have no issue with the poppy if people choose to wear it, I think in general people wear them for honourable reasons, even if I would personally not choose to wear one. I do feel in recent years though that any positive intentions of the poppy appeal have been lost because of this annual expectation where every newsreader, football player, boy band member and X Factor judge feels compelled to wear one for two weeks. For me, whatever it was before, it has become a cheap and tacky symbol nowadays, a show thing rather than anything meaningful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

So, since there's 16 pages on this tripe, somebody may be interested. McClean's jersey (yeah, the one without the Poppy) is being auctioned off by St Patrick's Athletic player, Ger O'Brien, for Our Lady's Hospital Crumlin's Cancer Ward.

https://twitter.com/gerramia

http://www.cmrf.org/appeal/show/19

Think it's at around €400 so far

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2231071/James-McClean-refuses-wear-poppy.html#ixzz2BvKRDEGk

Let's keep voting on this article - in protest against this poppy fascism!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As a fellow Derryman, I fully understand why James decided to take this decision.

It was a big call on his part, as there is always the possibility it could affect his young career.

But I think it won't.

Poppy fascism is getting a little annoying at this stage.

I love the photo caption from that Daily Mail link:
    "The entire Everton team and McLean's Sunderland team-mates wore poppies and observed the minute's silence before the game"

Makes it sound like McClean was singing and dancing during the minutes silence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Fair play to James McClean.

"Not easy to stand alone against the ridicule of others"

Understandable stance considering where he comes from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Seems like few other people at the game had other things to worry about like your man eating pie here:D

hibsfan.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

It's quite ironic that of all the people I know who choose not to wear a poppy (English, Scottish and Irish), these are probably the people most likely to actually oppose fascism (members of Antifa/AFA/Alerta and other far-left groups), whereas a large portion of the noisy poppy brigade are probably closer to those nasty folk their heroes gave their lives to fight against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=741616

Oh the irony of bullying people into wearing a symbol, that is worn to honour the memory of those who fought for personal freedoms.

I admire the idea of the poppy appeal, but this 'poppy fascism' and berating those who don't wear one has to cease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Just as an aside, Cliftonville were playing at home to Linfield on Saturday and BBC NI reported the minute's silence before the game for dead British soldiers was "not perfectly observed".

I wonder which genius done up the fixture list. :pac:

They sang Aiden McAnespie during the minute
    Zebra3 wrote: »
    Just as an aside, Cliftonville were playing at home to Linfield on Saturday and BBC NI reported the minute's silence before the game for dead British soldiers was "not perfectly observed".

They sang Aiden McAnespie during the minute

markesmith wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2231071/James-McClean-refuses-wear-poppy.html#ixzz2BvKRDEGk

Let's keep voting on this article - in protest against this poppy fascism!

what vote?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭fionnsda

Zebra3 wrote: »

Or what genius thought to actually have a minute silence

• Advertisement
Advertisement