Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McClean refuses to wear poppy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

kfallon wrote: »
    Did you follow him?

I used to. Winding up NI fans when he declared for the Republic is not a smart move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

That DUP MP gets quite offended at anything that's even remotely republican, he's not even McCleans MP so why it has anything to do with him is anyones guess! James has only made trouble for himself by being on twitter, stay off it and work on improving his game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

noodler wrote: »
    Is that really all he said?

I've called him an idiot in the past for some of the tweets but that is really innocuous.
    That song is the Broad Black Brimmer of the IRA and is a song which believes in military action against the government. Its a song that would rile up many unionists I think. And he is an idiot to publish that he likes it on twitter.

Its something a normal person would only discuss with like-minded people. When you add that he refused to wear the poppy its not hard to start thinking that he is anti the British establishment and possibly pro military action against them. If you have views like that you should keep them to yourself and others who you can trust. You should never be giving any inclination that you think this on twitter. Thats if you are a public figure in a another area. He is and its not at all surprising that he has received death threats. It was always going to happen when you are that stupid.

I wouldn't be taking what Gregory Campbell says too serious.

Isn't he a creationist?

guttenberg wrote: »
    That DUP MP gets quite offended at anything that's even remotely republican, he's not even McCleans MP so why it has anything to do with him is anyones guess! James has only made trouble for himself by being on twitter, stay off it and work on improving his game!

He criticised Dido over a reference in one of her songs before.

Poor chap has little for doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ahh yes the man who when asked on tv who would he be supporting in the biggest game in Derry between Derry and PSG held up a pin with a rangers badge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd take anything Gregory Campbell says with a large pinch of salt, he is a bit of a sh1t stirrer and likes to get himself in the media, irrespective of how stupid he sounds.

He was recently complaining about the 1st concert of Derry's City of Culture year, and how there wasn't enough Protestant acts in it, plus got annoyed because John Hume got mentions from the artists on stage and got a standing ovation. Thing is, he's not just anti-republician, he's anti-nationalist too.
    John Hume got a standing ovation because of the great work he has done, and the fact that he is a Nobel prize winner means that he has done great things and will be remembered as a great man. Gregory is just plain jealous of him cos he will be remembered as nothing but a bigot who has achieved nothing.

I saw first hand at the recent FAI Cup Final in Dublin just how highly John Hume is held up by Irish people, when Pats fans were looking to get their photo taken with him in the pub pre-match. Campbell could not buy that sort of affection.

But getting back to the topic on hand, McClean would be better keeping his opinions to himself and concentrating more on his football cos he doesn't come across as the brightest guy around. We even lost our reserve keeper, his mate, who got the 'job' of being his minder in Sunderland i.e. trying to keep him out of the media, which doesn't appear to be working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Careful Niman I would take down his name if he sees it he might take you to court

Yeah thats like something he would do.

Bottom line, James shouldn't be giving people the ammo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Fined 2 weeks wages.

• Advertisement

That'll teach him ...... but then again...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

wonder does the MP realise the Irony of him telling mclean to stick to sport while he comments on something non political

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

McClean isn't the smartest tool in the box posting that on twitter. Both sides having sly digs at each other trying to wind each other up doesn't help anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

As much as I detest the glorification of terrorism, I find opportunistic demagogues to be far more loathsome. Tempting to suggest that there's a pair of them in it, but I would edge this one to Campbell, on the basis that McClean's livelihood is being a footballer, and he thereafter says thoughtless instigating things in public, while Campbell's livelihood is very much contingent on him saying thoughtless instigating things in public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

In fairness to McClean, he's a young Catholic lad from Creggan, his views are very typical of most lads of that mould, the difference being he's in the spotlight and thus is open to being questioned by sh1tstirrers like Gregory Campbell.

He's definitely better off forgetting about Twitter and getting his head into his game, he hasn't progressed as much this year as we might have hoped after his great promise shown in the second half of last season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Neil3030 wrote: »
    As much as I detest the glorification of terrorism, I find opportunistic demagogues to be far more loathsome. Tempting to suggest that there's a pair of them in it, but I would edge this one to Campbell, on the basis that McClean's livelihood is being a footballer, and he thereafter says thoughtless instigating things in public, while Campbell's livelihood is very much contingent on him saying thoughtless instigating things in public.

How the feck is the song a "Glorification of Terrorism"? Art McMillen wrote the song about his father who fought in the Irish War of Independence and Irish Civil War.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Seaneh wrote: »
    How the feck is the song a "Glorification of Terrorism"? Art McMillen wrote the song about his father who fought in the Irish War of Independence and Irish Civil War.

Because we are talking about Northern Ireland here and no matter how much one side or the other argues that something they do or say is not meant to cause offence, it will be taken as offensive by the other side.

But I think you know that yourself already

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I feel sorry for anyone who has to hear that nasally whiney Wolfe Tones singer's voice. And listening to it out of free will!!? It's amazing how footballers, with all the money and opportunities and different nationalities they must meet, can often stay so narrow minded and chavvy, for want of a better word.

Because we are talking about Northern Ireland here and no matter how much one side or the other argues that something they do or say is not meant to cause offence, it will be taken as offensive by the other side.

But I think you know that yourself already

Seeing as all JMcC did was ask a question and state a liking for a song on twitter, I think Campbell is was just being his usual, looking for something to be offended by, bigoted, self.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I feel sorry for anyone who has to hear that nasally whiney Wolfe Tones singer's voice. And listening to it out of free will!!? It's amazing how footballers, with all the money and opportunities and different nationalities they must meet, can often stay so narrow minded and chavvy, for want of a better word.

Do you do anything on boards except go from thread to thread and post moany nonsense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Well I'll hold my hand up here and admit I made an assumption, on the basis of the kind of stuff the Wolfe Tones record, and the thrust of the stuff McClean tweets, that the song in question would be more incendiary in nature. Apologies.

I also think that maybe the IRA in the song are being mistaken for the Provisional IRA of the 70s, 80s, 90s.

They aren't the same thing.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I also think that maybe the IRA in the song are being mistaken for the Provisional IRA of the 70s, 80s, 90s.

They aren't the same thing.

Well the IRA the song speaks of are not the same organisation of the 40'S onwards, nor are the provisional IRA the actual IRA (but, really, no less legitimate) and completely unrelated to the IRA mentioned in the song.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

People really should not react to what Gregory Campbell said. He is just trying to build up outrage over something that he doesn't even understand himself.

I'm more shocked by McClean's music taste than anything.

My point exactly, when Mr Campbell or English football fans hear this story mention the IRA, they automatically think of the Provisionals and the likes of Warrington etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Well the IRA the song speaks of are not the same organisation of the 40'S onwards, nor are the provisional IRA the actual IRA (but, really, no less legitimate) and completely unrelated to the IRA mentioned in the song.

While you are exactly right in what you say. You have to remember many people are not clued up on the different IRA's. Lets be honest we go from the officials to the Provos and the likes of the INLA on to the various dissident groups it is a natural thing for people not overly interested in Irish history to lump them altogether

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

While you are exactly right in what you say. You have to remember many people are not clued up on the different IRA's. Lets be honest we go from the officials to the Provos and the likes of the INLA on to the various dissident groups it is a natural thing for people not overly interested in Irish history to lump them altogether
    So its safe to say that Gregory Campbell is a highly strung, ignorant individual? :pac:

cournioni wrote: »
    So its safe to say that Gregory Campbell is a highly strung, ignorant individual? :pac:

Well IMO yes ;)

Anyone from this Island should have a basic enough knowledge of the history of Ireland over the last 150 years to know that the IRA and the Provisional IRA are two different organisations, in fairness.

• Advertisement

Anyone from this Island should have a basic enough knowledge of the history of Ireland over the last 150 years to know that the IRA and the Provisional IRA are two different organisations, in fairness.
    To a lot of people they all come down to the same thing and they won't distinguish one from the other. It was also mentioned about English football fans many of them won't know or won't care

I'm sure Mr Campbell understands the difference between the UVF of the World War and the UVF of the Troubles, and if he does then he should be a little bit more clued in about the various versions of the IRA?

Wonder he never got in a fuss about Rob Roy or William Wallace too, he's that stupid.

I'm sure Mr Campbell understands the difference between the UVF of the World War and the UVF of the Troubles, and if he does then he should be a little bit more clued in about the various versions of the IRA?

Wonder he never got in a fuss about Rob Roy or William Wallace too, he's that stupid.
    I don't disagree with you that's for certain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Another member of the growing number of muppets playing for Ireland. No wonder the FAI have to give away thousands of tickets before each game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Another member of the growing number of muppets playing for Ireland. No wonder the FAI have to give away thousands of tickets before each game.

Yes, you are correct. That would be the reason. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Yes, you are correct. That would be the reason. :confused:

If the general public cant relate or like the players in the team, they are going to stay at home. People like McClean are just a symptom of the situation Irish football is in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭HoggyRS

If the general public cant relate or like the players in the team, they are going to stay at home. People like McClean are just a symptom of the situation Irish football is in.

There are thousands of Irish people who hold the same views as McClean, Anthony Stokes is another republican Irish footballer.

Its beside the point really, there nothing about relating to footballers in people giving support really. Do you think the average fella working on a building site or whatever all day who spends a fortune to go over to Manchester to see United play a couple of times a year, does so because he relates to millionaires like Nani (who has a bronze statue of himself in his home).

From your posts the only footballer off the top off my head I could see you relating to is the fascist Paolo Di Canio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

no its probably because people like you are going to the matches!

just wondering what mccleans reaction would be to a minutes silence for thatcher:D

This?

jig.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

This?

jig.gif

dont be ridiculous, looks nothing like him and sunderland wear red and white :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

@ryandelarge: As noted earlier, James McClean out of Wigan squad for Yeovil game. Poppy issue at the heart of his absence.

Bit harsh being dropped for not wanting to wear a poppy, if true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

J. Marston wrote: »

Probably true, but the bloke you quoted doesn't know any more than anyone else, pure conjecture until someone issues a statement one way or the other.

In other news, I am hoping half the Northampton Town squad get dropped for next game as none of them are wearing a poppy live on ITV in the FA cup*

*Unsubtle plug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

J. Marston wrote: »

Who is that you are quoting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

It's all over twitter. Disgraceful if true. Long and Brunt apparently didn't wear them yesterday but there's been no backlash over that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

fullstop wrote: »
    It's all over twitter. Disgraceful if true. Long and Brunt apparently didn't wear them yesterday but there's been no backlash over that.

So is the fake reports of the death of a pop star nearly every week, twitter isn't the most reliable of sources, as I said before, probably true but no-one has come out and said one way or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

So is the fake reports of the death of a pop star nearly every week, twitter isn't the most reliable of sources, as I said before, probably true but no-one has come out and said one way or the other.

Hence why I said "if true".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Who is that you are quoting?
    Deputy editor @GoalComIreland. Mostly my views, retweets not necessarily endorsements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

If it's true makes you think if those soldiers actually died for freedom!

Freedom of speech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It is poppy fascism in action.... if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Britain is a failed society in many ways imo. Fair play to McClean for sticking to his principles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Britain is a failed society in many ways imo. Fair play to McClean for sticking to his principles.

Yeah nice to see freedom of expression still alive and well... Wigan should be ashamed of themselves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement