Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McClean refuses to wear poppy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

If it's true makes you think if those soldiers actually died for freedom!

Freedom of speech.

That's a nonsense, there is no freedom of speech (though surely expression is the correct term) here. If it is true and, for example, Dave Whelan has decided all players wear a poppy and partake in the silence or don't play then that is fine. He own's the club, McClean is just an employee. It may not be particularly palatable here, but I doubt Whelan (who wanted a silence for Thatcher not so long ago) will care. The fact that other chairmen and managers let their players not wear it is irrelevant.

Is it confirmed though?Ridiculous that he'd be dropped for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Rascasse wrote: »
    That's a nonsense, there is no freedom of speech (though surely expression is the correct term) here. If it is true and, for example, Dave Whelan has decided all players wear a poppy and partake in the silence or don't play then that is fine. He own's the club, McClean is just an employee. It may not be particularly palatable here, but I doubt Whelan (who wanted a silence for Thatcher not so long ago) will care. The fact that other chairmen and managers let their players not wear it is irrelevant.

So it's politics taking over football?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Would like to see it confirmed before getting too worked up about it.

Disgraceful if true though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was McClean even getting a start in the Wigan games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Sad to see the lack out OUTRAGE now that he isn't at the same level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Its a herd mentality that EVERYONE should be wearing a poppy, its not a sign of respect anymore, its a sign of conformity. Northampton didn't as a team wear poppies today, more out of financial constraints than political motivation I'm sure but here are a selection of comments about the fact:

@ButterKus 1h
    Northampton Town FC the only side not to wear Poppies on there shirts on rememberance day. Even Bishop Stortford have managed it #poor

@Markkingsbury80 1h
    Shame on you Northampton Town! Where's your ****ing poppies you *****????

@arron_far 1h
    Why don't Northampton have poppies on their shirts

@jess26cfc 2h
    If bishop stortford can get poppies on their shirts I'm sure Northampton could have

@MatthewWatt7 40m
    Let's all have a go at Northampton as well there not wearing poppies?

@amyy_maxey 40m
    think its pretty bad that northampton havent got poppies on their shirts, especially as they are on tv on... http://fb.me/2zAFT97aA

@Charlington6 1h
    Northampton, no poppies on shirts?

@24RyanJordan 1h
    Why haven't Northampton got a poppy on their shirts?
    Nice to see Bishop Stortford have a poppy of their shirts in #FACup on @ITVfootball - where are Northampton Towns? #RemembranceSunday

@R_Harris10 38m
    @ntfc Why ain't Northampton Town wearing a poppy on their tops in today's F.A. Cup match?

@daznccc 1h
    Nice to see Bishop Stortford with a poppy on their shirts as for @ntfc very very poor!!!!

So it's politics taking over football?

Nope, I was suggesting that if this is true it could merely be a case of the age old "he who pays the piper calls the tune" and that "freedom of speech" doesn't apply.

As others have said, he has often been on the bench lately so it could just be case of Twitter jumping to conclusions. Him being dropped + remembrance sunday = annual McClean poppy controversy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Long did not have one on yesterday either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

To expect a team in a league full of foreign players to be happy about wearing a poppy is rediculous and optimistic to say the least. Having any team wearing a symbol with military ties such as the poppy is wrong .
    Fair play to mclean .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Britain is a failed society in many ways imo.

Its comfortably in the top 5% of countries to live in just about every worthwhile metric, 'failed society' is completely lol.

The way this nonsense is going, its only a matter of time before someone gets a slap for not wearing one, as some people seem to take it very personally and get very agitated about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

If true then poor show from Wigan.

Not only is it his own choice but his political views are pretty well known, acting as if it's a shock he won't wear a poppy is pretty stupid from Wigan.

Again, if true though, could be he was just dropped because he's simply not been playing that good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

http://www.derrydaily.net/2013/11/10/james-mcclean-dropped-by-wigan-for-not-wearing-poppy/

Speaking earlier this year, he said: “I got a lot of flak from everybody,” McClean added, “but I’ll say it again, it doesn’t bother me. Every year I’m not going to wear it, so I’ll take whatever comes.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Apparently he was told to leave the stadium by Coyle when he refused to wear it.

Fair play to the lad. He's got every justification to have the right not to wear it. A sad day for English football, letting this get involved in footballing decisions.

• Advertisement

So turns out he was injured hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

So turns out he was injured hahaha

Haha really?

Corholio wrote: »
    Haha really?

Yeh Coyle said he was injured, has a dad leg and i also went onto his twitter and he had a photo up yesterday of Derry saying Great to be home

Some clowns about!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Yeh Coyle said he was injured, has a dad leg and i also went onto his twitter and he had a photo up yesterday of Derry saying Great to be home

Some clowns about!

Dirty poppy fascists of Wigan :mad:

edit: I just had a look at his twitter, he likes Boyzone and Celine Dion. Should have been sent home for that alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

watching twitter freak out is mildly amusing i must admit

• Advertisement

Everyone loves to be outraged these days, they should find something else to worry about than the decision of one adult to use their own freewill to make a decision.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Everyone loves to be outraged these days, they should find something else to worry about than the decision of one adult to use their own freewill to make a decision.

Hear hear.

Ross County, anyone? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Did Shane Long and Chris Brunt choose not to wear it also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

Did Shane Long and Chris Brunt choose not to wear it also?

No, they wore them on their jersey.

v80g76.jpg

5pmrk6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

v80g76.jpg

5pmrk6.jpg

Whoever provided those shots has an agenda Collibosher.

That's either photoshopped or footage from another game because i'm looking at the recording of the Chelsea v WBA game here in front of me and Long isn't wearing a poppy on his shirt.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Long changed his shirt at HT.

Thank fcuk poppy month is over again, the agendas all over the place are unbearable.

Kirby wrote: »
    Whoever provided those shots has an agenda Collibosher.

That's either photoshopped or footage from another game because i'm looking at the recording of the Chelsea v WBA game here in front of me and Long isn't wearing a poppy on his shirt.

No agenda, they're from a photographic agency website.

Long changed his jersey at half time, that didn't have the poppy on it.

v80g76.jpg

5pmrk6.jpg

That's it then: McLean is injured and other Irish players wore the jersey with poppy. No one but twitter cares.

Top clickbait from the Derry Daily.

Compare and contrast with the Veterans day commemorations in the US. The Brits are rather understated.

...No one but twitter cares....

My favourite bit of twitter 'outrage' was the demand that the FAI take back Owen Coyle's Ireland caps in protest :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

did anybody see johnny adair's twitter during the week. called Shane Long and James McLean 'arsepieces' for not having the poppy on their jersey. yeah, loyalist murderer and all round scumbag johnny 'mad dog' adair

:pac:

280478.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

McClean should have worn a poppy on his Ireland shirt last night. Just to see the internet explode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

did anybody see johnny adair's twitter during the week. called Shane Long and James McLean 'arsepieces' for not having the poppy on their jersey. yeah, loyalist murderer and all round scumbag johnny 'mad dog' adair

:pac:

280478.png

You couldnt make it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,312 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

AgileMyth wrote: »
    McClean should have worn a poppy on his Ireland shirt last night. Just to see the internet explode.
    He should have worn a white poppy on his Ireland shirt last night. Just to see the red poppy fascists explode.

He should have worn a white poppy on his Ireland shirt last night. Just to see the red poppy fascists explode.

A poppy with Johnny Adairs face on it would have caused mass confusion

A poppy in the shape of Johnny's arse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

While I wouldn't be all out in support of wearing a poppy I do think professional footballers in England should wear it if told by their bosses to do it. I have to wear a tie at work and I don't like doing but I have to because it looks good in the eyes of the general public. Likewiae for them, they are paid to represent a club and if the senior figures at the club see it as important from a business point of view then the players should be wearing them regardless of personal beliefs.

eagle eye wrote: »
    While I wouldn't be all out in support of wearing a poppy I do think professional footballers in England should wear it if told by their bosses to do it. I have to wear a tie at work and I don't like doing but I have to because it looks good in the eyes of the general public. Likewiae for them, they are paid to represent a club and if the senior figures at the club see it as important from a business point of view then the players should be wearing them regardless of personal beliefs.

Big difference in wearing a tie which is part of your work uniform so to speak and a poppy.

You shouldn't have to wear a poppy if you don't want to, it's ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

A tie is a clothing accessory. It doesn't represent anything, therefore it's not in any way comparable. Would you be happy to go around the office in an orange sash if your boss asked?

So wearing a poppy is now to do with business?

• Advertisement

Seriously?

A tie is a clothing accessory. It doesn't represent anything, therefore it's not in any way comparable. Would you be happy to go around the office in an orange sash if your boss asked?

Where is the line drawn? Should Muslims/Jews/devout Christians be allowed to not wear jerseys for promoting something that is incompatible with their faith, be it pay day lenders, betting companies, non halal/kosher/etc restaurants?

Let's face it - no one seriously believes that whatever is printed on the jersey has the personal endorsement of the player, do they? It is surely obvious to everyone that whatever the club sticks on the jersey is a commercial decision by the club and the club alone.

Where is the line drawn? Should Muslims/Jews/devout Christians be allowed to not wear jerseys for promoting something that is incompatible with their faith, be it pay day lenders, betting companies, non halal/kosher/etc restaurants?

Let's face it - no one seriously believes that whatever is printed on the jersey has the personal endorsement of the player, do they? It is surely obvious to everyone that whatever the club sticks on the jersey is a commercial decision by the club and the club alone.

How is a poppy a commercial issue to a football club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What political statement is your tie making?

I would fully support James in this decision, but then I am a fellow Derry man.

I think too many are chatting out of their hats in this subject. James is from the Creggan in Derry, an area from which some of those innocents murdered by British soldiers on Bloody Sunday in 1972 came from. Yet people would expect him to gladly go along with wearing a poppy to remember and support possibly those who did the shooting that day? Get real would you.

And don't forget the fact that he may be putting his own life or the life of his family members at risk if he wore the poppy.

This fascism every year really gets on my goat. Whatever happened to being allowed to make your own decision without being run down for it? James has already said he will never wear a poppy on his shirt, so its time people forgot about bringing this up every year. He has his convictions, and its good to see someone standing up for them even though it could cost him a football career and millions of pounds over his lifetime. That's how strongly he feels about it.

I would fully support James in this decision, but then I am a fellow Derry man.

I think too many are chatting out of their hats in this subject. James is from the Creggan in Derry, an area from which some of those innocents murdered by British soldiers on Bloody Sunday in 1972 came from. Yet people would expect him to gladly go along with wearing a poppy to remember and support possibly those who did the shooting that day? Get real would you.

And don't forget the fact that he may be putting his own life or the life of his family members at risk if he wore the poppy.

This fascism every year really gets on my goat. Whatever happened to being allowed to make your own decision without being run down for it? James has already said he will never wear a poppy on his shirt, so its time people forgot about bringing this up every year. He has his convictions, and its good to see someone standing up for them even though it could cost him a football career and millions of pounds over his lifetime. That's how strongly he feels about it.

Well said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Did someone just compare wearing a Tie and wearing a poppy?!!

Ok

Im out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

I support McClean's right to refuse to wear the poppy but the idea that he would be putting "lives at risk" by wearing it is beyond nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

I support McClean's right to refuse to wear the poppy but the idea that he would be putting "lives at risk" by wearing it is beyond nonsense.

The guy has got several death threats over it. Whats so hard to believe about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

guttenberg wrote: »
    The guy has got several death threats over it. Whats so hard to believe about that?
    That anyone with half a brain would take any of those death threats seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

guttenberg wrote: »

That's the thing about NI

One mob would threaten him for wearing one, and the other crowd would threaten him for not wearing it

• Advertisement
Advertisement