Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whitethorn hedge bare root

Options
  • 10-11-2012 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Hi all, anywhere know where would be the best place to buy some bare root whitethorn hedge? either on-line or nursery? I'm based just outside Charleville Co. Cork.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,984 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Try this place. I found them very good.
    www.futureforests.net/
    Postal service works well and good healthy plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Cheers for that prices seem good on that site, any other that boardies have used?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

http://www.hedges.ie/ (aka PJ Larkin & Sons)

Fantastic bareroots and next day delievery too.

We buy from them from time to time and the quality is excellent.

Allways delieverd up to Dublin by the end of the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BALLHOPPER

Did you not try the Early bird GC at two pot house near Mallow they used to sell thorn quicks there one time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Update: I ended up getting them from a local supplier in Charleville, was nice to kepp the business local, got 60 plants for 50 euro and the were all at least 3ft-4ft tall so got a good deal, have to get more though turns out 60 wasnt enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

Hi

For 3ft - 4ft whitethorn that price isn't bad.

You should space them 1ft apart. and plant in a double row to give a thicker hedge

A year after planting whitethorn you are meant to cut it back to 10cm above ground level - this is also to encourage branching to make hedge thicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

you can prune them back by up to a half on planting, for the same reason. If you do this you can also prune off a bit of the roots.

Advertisement