Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrad nutrition courses

Options
  • 10-11-2012 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey,

This is my first post on this. I have completed a BSc. in Geomatics and am hoping to change career direction to a nutritional background.

Although my Geomatics degree is a bachelor of Science, it holds no laboratory science components, such as chemistry which is the dominant component of nutrtion degrees.

My main goal is to eventually gain a qualification as a dietitian, however all dietetics postgrad's require a chemistry or nutrition background.

Does anyone know if there is a nutrition postgrad degree where a chemistry background is not required or with my credentials be sufficent to be accepted into.

A had originally thought i may have to complete an entire new undergrad in Dietetics but if there was a one year postgrad nutrtion course then I could then apply for the dietetics postgrad after that which would save me 1 or even 2 years of having to complete another 4 year undergrad.

Also this isn't limited to Ireland, if anyone knows of any courses in the UK that would be just as helpful, even the US (as long as its not ridiculously expensive, which is doubtful)

Any info on this is greatly apreciated and a quick thank you in advance for those who reply:):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

Hi Simba,

I can give you a little advice as I studied food science with emphasis on nutrition and health science. A good few of my classmates wanted to go down the Dietetics route however we were short one module on physiology. So realistically you would probably be best getting in touch with Uni of Ulster (http://prospectus.ulster.ac.uk/course/?id=9284).

Also I'm not sure where you are getting the information regarding Chemistry as most Diet/Nut PG courses look for Physiology, Biochem, Bio, Food Science or Nutrition.

UCC offer a MSc in Nutritional Sciences however this will not allow you to register as a dietetian but could be something to look into as a conversion of sorts.

Going from a non biology background will make it difficult but I'm sure not impossible.

Advertisement