Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bad fall - no confidence - now what?

Options
  • 10-11-2012 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

I posted here about a new horse I have. We had been working on schooling and transitions etc and she was really beginning to come along.

Couple weeks ago, we were in the outdoor arena, trotting into a corner, I sat to ask for canter, she did maybe one stride, spooked at something and twisted and bucked. I went over on her nearside and hit the fence as I fell, my boot got caught in the stirrup and I went under her. Thankfully she didn't actually step on me and apart from being shook up and bruised I'm unhurt.

I've been back on her since but when i think about asking for trot I can feel my legs turn to jelly, my whole upper body goes tense and rigid and my heart starts to race. Now I can feel she is starting to tense because of me - head goes up and ears go back. We've only been walking when I ride for the last few weeks. So how can I get my confidence back? I've become a complete wreck on her and I can't seem to get over it. HELP! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

First of all, you can't school a horse if you're nervous. Until you get your confidence back, give the horse to someone else to work would be best.

I had a bad fall last year which shook my confidence quite badly. What I found that helped was doing plenty of work in walk (games, turns, barrels, things that made me concentrate on other things while feeling safe at a slow pace). After that, I got lessons with school horses, on horses I learned to ride on in the first place, right back to beginners lessons. I made myself canter, made myself do things. I watched other people ride the horse I fell off (although, it was an older horse. A bit mad, but older) and seen them work well on her. After a while of watching, I got on after they worked her.

The best thing I probably did for my confidence though was go out on a cross country course for a lesson on a quiet, confident horse. The adrenaline meant I was able to work without even thinking of what could happen. Unfortunately, they sold the horse I fell off originally but I've my confidence fully back at this stage.

Lessons are a great help. With an instructor, you can't really make excuses for not doing something and they make you realise that you're perfectly capable of doing what you're afraid of :P

So basically, find the fun in riding again, do things to take your mind off it, make yourself do things and don't rush yourself. You will get your confidence back, just don't give up on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

sup_dude wrote: »
    First of all, you can't school a horse if you're nervous. Until you get your confidence back, give the horse to someone else to work would be best.

I know but i've no one else to ride her :/ I'd love to see someone else ride my horse so I can see from the ground what she's like.
    sup_dude wrote: »
    I had a bad fall last year which shook my confidence quite badly. What I found that helped was doing plenty of work in walk (games, turns, barrels, things that made me concentrate on other things while feeling safe at a slow pace). After that, I got lessons with school horses, on horses I learned to ride on in the first place, right back to beginners lessons. I made myself canter, made myself do things. I watched other people ride the horse I fell off (although, it was an older horse. A bit mad, but older) and seen them work well on her. After a while of watching, I got on after they worked her.

The best thing I probably did for my confidence though was go out on a cross country course for a lesson on a quiet, confident horse. The adrenaline meant I was able to work without even thinking of what could happen. Unfortunately, they sold the horse I fell off originally but I've my confidence fully back at this stage.

Lessons are a great help. With an instructor, you can't really make excuses for not doing something and they make you realise that you're perfectly capable of doing what you're afraid of :P

So basically, find the fun in riding again, do things to take your mind off it, make yourself do things and don't rush yourself. You will get your confidence back, just don't give up on it :)

I'm thinking of going back to my old school and getting a few lessons...I'm in a private livery at the moment so I would have to get a free lance instructor in which I've no idea of the cost. I need a quick fix :rolleyes: but i know it will just take time. I just wish I could just pop back up and ride like before :(

bnagrrl wrote: »
    I know but i've no one else to ride her :/ I'd love to see someone else ride my horse so I can see from the ground what she's like.

I'm thinking of going back to my old school and getting a few lessons...I'm in a private livery at the moment so I would have to get a free lance instructor in which I've no idea of the cost. I need a quick fix :rolleyes: but i know it will just take time. I just wish I could just pop back up and ride like before :(

That's a shame. Well, find what you're comfortable with and work on that. There's a huge amount you can do from walk, or even from the ground. Just don't forget to breathe.

Where abouts are you based?
    I know, I was the same. It's your mental attitude that determines how quick you recover. Try telling yourself you can do it rather than I wish I can do it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Sorry to hear about your fall :( It can be very nerve racking and as you said, the horse can sense when you are nervous, it transmits to them.

Try doing a bit of lungework on the ground for transitions for your horse, using your voice to move her up into canter. Then you can use your voice alongside the aids when you ride her.

Is there anyone else in your yard that could school your horse for you? You could also look at the horse share thread to see if there are any riders that have posted in there looking to school youngsters.

Failing that, I'd try to get yourself out to a riding school and get some lessons on a schoolmaster to get your confidence back - unfortunately falls are a part and parcel of horse riding! Are there any nearby yards that you can bring your horse to if you have a box?

If you're at a private yard I'm sure there's some other experienced horse owners that might be willing to give you a hand in exchange for mucking out or something ;)

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

I posted here about a new horse I have. We had been working on schooling and transitions etc and she was really beginning to come along.

Couple weeks ago, we were in the outdoor arena, trotting into a corner, I sat to ask for canter, she did maybe one stride, spooked at something and twisted and bucked. I went over on her nearside and hit the fence as I fell, my boot got caught in the stirrup and I went under her. Thankfully she didn't actually step on me and apart from being shook up and bruised I'm unhurt.

I've been back on her since but when i think about asking for trot I can feel my legs turn to jelly, my whole upper body goes tense and rigid and my heart starts to race. Now I can feel she is starting to tense because of me - head goes up and ears go back. We've only been walking when I ride for the last few weeks. So how can I get my confidence back? I've become a complete wreck on her and I can't seem to get over it. HELP! :(

Hi OP i was wondering how you are getting on now, have you gone back riding? I had a bad fall myself a couple of weeks ago where i got knocked out. I have been back out on the horse once since and did a small bit of trotting and cantering, but for some reason i just couldnt go over the jumps. I was a nervous wreck when i saw them going up even though my fall was nothing to do with jumps.

• Advertisement

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your fall :( It can be very nerve racking and as you said, the horse can sense when you are nervous, it transmits to them.

Try doing a bit of lungework on the ground for transitions for your horse, using your voice to move her up into canter. Then you can use your voice alongside the aids when you ride her.

hi, we've done some lunge work which she is good at once she gets started. she can be tough to get going somethime with just my voice!
    Is there anyone else in your yard that could school your horse for you? You could also look at the horse share thread to see if there are any riders that have posted in there looking to school youngsters.

hmm, don't think so. i'm new at this yard so don't know many there :o Thanks for the ideas anyway :)

JillyQ wrote: »
    Hi OP i was wondering how you are getting on now, have you gone back riding? I had a bad fall myself a couple of weeks ago where i got knocked out. I have been back out on the horse once since and did a small bit of trotting and cantering, but for some reason i just couldnt go over the jumps. I was a nervous wreck when i saw them going up even though my fall was nothing to do with jumps.

Hi Jilly, I have ridden her but only at walk. I'm too nervous to try anything else. I feel like I have completely failed myself and my horse. I don't know what to do next, can't afford lessons at the moment in my old school so i'm in a bit of a rut at the moment. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Put up on the horse share thread! There are by the looks of a few experienced riders that would be able to ride her couple of times a week! Maybe if you see her been ridden it will bring back an element of confidence.
    Ive been there , done that & lost my confidence earlier in year ( bad fall, slammed into arena fence ) - thankfully have regained 99% of it, but it took time ...
    However if you are scared to trot you need to go back to riding schoolmasters for a while & then look at perhaps getting some lunge lessons from someone so you feel an element of security in the saddle ..

I will say something though - I needed a good kick up the backside! stuck the head down & worked through my anxiety, really pushed myself & its paid off.
    Set yourself little goals, eg - I WILL trot once today - doesnt matter how long for but achieving small goals makes all the difference.

Put a plan in place & stick to it as IMO you need to work on doing this from today as longer you leave it the harder it gets to rebuild and then you will then have to think whether horse needs to be moved on.
    OP I hope you don't think Im being harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

OP if you are in the west you can pm me your details and i will ask in the Stables that i go to, if they know of anyone who could help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 KazNCD

Op, I see from a previous post you are in North County Dublin. I am also in that area and quite happy to help you in any way I can.

OP , Im also happy to help as not far away & as I said I've been through all this myself.

Below are meant to be very good with nervous riders & close to you
    http://www.thorntonpark.ie/

• Advertisement

Also look @ link below - have you access to box?

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/equineservices/2988587

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭HarrietD

I was in your situation with a previous mare as she was too young and green for me. I struggled on and then gave up on her and just kept her as I couldn't bear to part with her. My big regret is that I didn't sell her and get something that I could enjoy and let her achieve her potential. My confidence hasn't come back because it was eroded by her. I'm in North Co Dublin too and I have tried to get someone to school my new horse but it is hard to get anyone to commit to a small yard. My advice would be to sell / swap or if you can't bear that to send her to a yard where you will have the back up. You need someone else to nip her naughtiness in the bud so hopefully she won't try it on with you or that your confidence will be re-instated so you can cope if she does. Take any help that is being offered like the previous poster
    I don't want to hijack your post but if anybody knows a nice sympathetic rider willing to school once a week in a small yard in North Co Dublin could they PM me.

What do you mean by " school" ??? I may have bit of time on my hands over next couple mths
    HarrietD wrote: »
    I was in your situation with a previous mare as she was too young and green for me. I struggled on and then gave up on her and just kept her as I couldn't bear to part with her. My big regret is that I didn't sell her and get something that I could enjoy and let her achieve her potential. My confidence hasn't come back because it was eroded by her. I'm in North Co Dublin too and I have tried to get someone to school my new horse but it is hard to get anyone to commit to a small yard. My advice would be to sell / swap or if you can't bear that to send her to a yard where you will have the back up. You need someone else to nip her naughtiness in the bud so hopefully she won't try it on with you or that your confidence will be re-instated so you can cope if she does. Take any help that is being offered like the previous poster
    I don't want to hijack your post but if anybody knows a nice sympathetic rider willing to school once a week in a small yard in North Co Dublin could they PM me.

OP how are you getting on?

Hi all,

Thanks for all the very kind offers of help, really unexpected and so generous of you all :):):)

A new girl came to my yard, very good rider and CONFIDENT :D and she has ridden my horse several times for me and in the past few weeks. I've watched her ride and seeing someone else on her has helped me. I continued the lunging but the past week or so I have started riding her again.

Now I have another problem though :rolleyes: -- When I ask to trot she just canters. She only does it with me not the other girl. I have put down trotting poles and she will canter over them no matter how I try to slow her down (half halts, even halting completely and getting her to walk she will just canter as soon as she reached the first pole). If I ask for trot she will trot normally for a few strides then get faster and faster and burst into canter. Even if I keep rising for trot she will just canter!
    Her saddle/teeth/back have all been recently checked and are fine.
    Has anyone else experienced this and how did you fix it?

Just to add when she canters it's not like she's bolting, I can stop her but she will just go back to halt or walk, never trot. She is 10 yrs old but very inexperienced in schooling really.

Now I have another problem though :rolleyes: -- When I ask to trot she just canters. She only does it with me not the other girl. I have put down trotting poles and she will canter over them no matter how I try to slow her down (half halts, even halting completely and getting her to walk she will just canter as soon as she reached the first pole). If I ask for trot she will trot normally for a few strides then get faster and faster and burst into canter. Even if I keep rising for trot she will just canter!
    Her saddle/teeth/back have all been recently checked and are fine.
    Has anyone else experienced this and how did you fix it?

Just to add when she canters it's not like she's bolting, I can stop her but she will just go back to halt or walk, never trot. She is 10 yrs old but very inexperienced in schooling really.

Is it you? Are you tensing? Is your legs moving too much or sliding too far back? Leaning forward too much? Holding onto the reins for balance? Gripping with your knees? Are you sending signals unconsciously? Generally, it's the riders fault if the horse does it for one person and not the other. Have someone good at reading body language watch you when you ride. I know someone who the horse did that too cause she was tense and holding onto the reins. She made things worse by locking her body when the horse went faster.

OP you are most probably tipping forward or gripping on which is causing your horse to transition to canter.. have you someone with a video camera who can video you riding?? I find this great for physically seeing whats going on.

Advertisement