Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Wexford

• 10-11-2012 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

We are currently renting a house near Wexford town but the owner, who has been working in the US, has had his contract cut short and wants to terminate my lease as soon as I can find a suitable alternative house to rent.

I'm looking for a 4 Bedroom unfurnished house, (family of five adults, no children) preferably detached, within 10 miles (or there abouts) of Wexford town for long term lease i.e. 3-5 years.

Mature family, independent means (not Social Welfare), excellent references available.

If you have something like this available please PM me and I'll send you direct contact details.

AR:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Allrounder

Thanks for that but I've done all the standard searches and contacted all the Estate/Letting agents I can find.

What I'm looking for here is anyone who might have or know of a suitable property that is being handled by the owner and not with an agent.

Just trying to cover all bases.

Thanks again

• Site Banned Posts: 42 MikeMichael

Tell your landlord to p*ss off and stop messing you about. You have a lease so you should stick to it. Let him come go running around looking for accommodation.
    If you do decide to leave make sure to get 1 or 2 grand as compensation for moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Tell your landlord to p*ss off and stop messing you about. You have a lease so you should stick to it. Let him come go running around looking for accommodation.
    If you do decide to leave make sure to get 1 or 2 grand as compensation for moving.

Depends on the lease. If its not a fixed term lease then the landlord is perfectly entitled to ask the OP to leave (with the required notice of course) if they need the property for themselves.

If its a fixed term lease then I fully agree; the landlord has no right to expect the OP to vacate, regardless of the circumstances. It may suit the OP to negotiate an early termination of the lease if it suits them, but its not something that they are obliged to do.

It is a fixed term lease, I insisted on it, and expires at the end of March 2013. That aside, I'd like to facilitate the owner if possible but I'm having trouble finding something suitable and I'm not prepared to move to "anything" just to suit them.

If possible I"d rather avoid the legal row that appears to be coming if I can't find a suitable property to move to.

AR :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

There is no legal row; you are safe in the house until 04/13 + whatever notice you are due based on how long you have been renting. The landlord has absolutely no say over this and they have no legal basis to challenge it.

By all means accomodate the landlord if thats what you want to do (many would be looking for some kind of compensation for such an arrangement) but you are by no means obliged to put yourself out for them.

djimi wrote: »
    There is no legal row;

I know you're right about that but it won't stop it becoming unpleasant and unfriendly. I like pleasant, I like friendly, and while I do the opposites very well, I prefer to avoid that side of life.

Why do people have to be so feckin' stupid?

• Site Banned Posts: 42 MikeMichael

Allrounder wrote: »
    I know you're right about that but it won't stop it becoming unpleasant and unfriendly. I like pleasant, I like friendly, and while I do the opposites very well, I prefer to avoid that side of life.

Why do people have to be so feckin' stupid?

The pleasantness was already ended by the landlord. You can't sit pasively trying to accomodate someobdy that clearly does not care a jot about you or a contract that you signed in good faith. You can remain courteous and respectful in a letter instructing them that you wish to remain till the end of your agreed term.

Thanks for the heads up but problem solved. just got back from a meet with owners of our 'new' home. Great deal agreed, all sides happy.

Many thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HappyDays4

No probs. Best of luck in your new home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement