Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Usb Bandwith Exceeded

Options
  • 10-11-2012 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I keep running into a Usb Bandwidth Exceeded message when I try to connect two external devices into my desktop. If I get an external powered Usb hub will that solve my problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

colly_06 wrote: »
    Hi,

I keep running into a Usb Bandwidth Exceeded message when I try to connect two external devices into my desktop. If I get an external powered Usb hub will that solve my problem?

Thanks

There's something wrong somewhere. Even an old PC should be able to manage two separate USB devices. I don't think a powered USB hub would solve your problem.

Can you be more specific? What devices are you connecting? What OS are you using? How old is your PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

Hey,

I'm connecting a midi keyboard and an external sound card, when I connect them both the percentage is too high, so I can only use one at a time. I'm running a Packard Bell desktop with Xp, not too old.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Hey,

I'm connecting a midi keyboard and an external sound card, when I connect them both the percentage is too high, so I can only use one at a time. I'm running a Packard Bell desktop with Xp, not too old.

Cheers

OK, that changes things a bit, I was under the impression you were trying to run a couple of external HDDs! I'd imagine that both devices are drawing a lot of power and the motherboard is simply unable to provide for both. A powered USB hub might be able to supply power for both but I will leave that for someone who knows a bit more about those things.

Why an external sound card? Does the on-board not have enough ports?

Your USB ports connect back to a USB root hub (or hubs) on your motherboard which has a fixed bandwidth.

A external USB hub will not solve the problem because it is still connecting back to the same hub in your desktop so the bandwidth isn't going to change.

Try connecting your devices in different ports, if you've got more than one internal hub you want to balance the devices so there isn't too much bandwidth demanded on any single hub. So the simplest thing is try one device on a rear USB port and the other on one of your front ports. Use the device manager to get a better look at how many root hubs you have and which device is the most bandwidth hungry (the 'advanced' tab should show the bandwidth distribution)

Alternatively add some more USB ports with an internal expansion card.

Why an external sound card? Does the on-board not have enough ports?

I need to use it for latency purposes
    Your USB ports connect back to a USB root hub (or hubs) on your motherboard which has a fixed bandwidth.

A external USB hub will not solve the problem because it is still connecting back to the same hub in your desktop so the bandwidth isn't going to change.

Try connecting your devices in different ports, if you've got more than one internal hub you want to balance the devices so there isn't too much bandwidth demanded on any single hub. So the simplest thing is try one device on a rear USB port and the other on one of your front ports. Use the device manager to get a better look at how many root hubs you have and which device is the most bandwidth hungry (the 'advanced' tab should show the bandwidth distribution)

Alternatively add some more USB ports with an internal expansion card.

Thanks, I've tried this, I've done every combination of putting them in different ports, but alas still no luck. Can you give me more info on the expansion card, are they easy to install, and what's the price like?

• Advertisement

Thanks, I've tried this, I've done every combination of putting them in different ports, but alas still no luck. Can you give me more info on the expansion card, are they easy to install, and what's the price like?

Yes it is easy. Stick the card in and install the drivers. Price is 10 upwards.

You would need to know what free expansion slots your motherboard has. Your desktop sounds quite old so probably PCI slots. Crack it open and have a look. There are plenty of photos online to show the different type of slots or take a photo of your own machine if you're not sure.

If you are going the route of an add-on card, would an internal addon sound card not give you the required latency?

Got this sorted, thanks. I got a Usb 3.0 expansion card and it's worked wonders, ordered from an Irish website and had it nearly straight away, fair props to them. I didn't even know desktops had extra slots for more things, so thanks for the advice.

Advertisement