Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting a light...help please

Options
  • 10-11-2012 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am fitting a new light fitting in our kitchen and would not be very used to dealing with electrics, so I was hoping for a quick bit of advice please.

I am a little confused as to which wires attach where, due to the type of fittings.

I have attached photos of the fitting on the roof and the inside of the new light fitting.

The roof fitting was fitted by a sparky who was in for another job a couple of years ago. What I am confused about is how to attach the light fitting to the fitting on the roof? Do I just take the live and neutral wires from the "white plastic cover" thing in the light fitting and connect them to the roof part?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

What you have in the roof fitting (ceiling rose) is from left to right Neutral (blue x2) Looped feeds (Brown x3) Switch wire (brown x1) Earth wire (Green/yellow)

What you need to do is Power off to lighting circuit at Fuseboard all the lights as your neutral will be feeding lights in sitting room or hall and the looped feed will be permanently live.

The neutral wires x2 will got in the new fitting connector (It's hard to tell from your pick as I can't see where they connect into the traffo,) anyway neutral to your negative wire feeding the traffo and the switch wire to the other wire which will be feeding your traffo (traffo meaning transformer the black thing in the new fitting it will have Eithe L,N or +,- marked on it)

The looped feeds you can connect into the connector on the end of the fitting (the spare one) no cables other than the looped feeds will be connected in here.

Then your earth wire will go in your earth terminal (green/yellow)

Remove old ceiling rose and screw fitting to ceiling power back up at the fuseboard and hit the switch.

Be sure to dis connect each one as you go as if you mix up the looped feeds and switch wire it'll be a head ache.

So to break down,

Power off at DB

Neutral to neutral connector or Neg -

Earth to Earth connector

Switch Wire to Switch wire connector

Looped feeds into your spare connector

Simple:)

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Actually you know what I may be just confusing the issue there. If you can fit the base over the ceiling rose you have pictured just connect the Neutral N from your new fitting into the terminal beside the neutral in the old ceiling rose and connect the Live L into the terminal beside the brown switch wire on the end and your earth into the earth terminal.

You might not be able to do this as there's probably a bar that screws to the ceiling to hold the new fitting. Just an after thought. I'd be doing the way I described in my first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Cheers, went with the second approach and it worked perfect.

Thanks a mill

Advertisement