Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA voltage problem

Options
  • 10-11-2012 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Hi all, i've gotten my self into a spot of bother and need some expert help. :)I work with a guy who was complaining about having to pay a fortune to get his dvd burner replaced.Like a fool I suggested he buy one online and install it himself.
    Anyone who has found themselves the unpaid tech support for family and friends will know what happens next. A week of non stop questions about where to buy,what to look for etc. Now I would not consider myself too advanced with computers but I manage ok for simple things like installing a hard drive so i thought i could cope with a dvd burner.

After all, what could go wrong? :o

it turns out he has bought a dvd burner from the U.S. Now I am aware that they use a different voltage over there so I thought the burner would not work here and he would end up blowing his burner/pc or something like that.
    We were discussing it in the shop ("but,but, you toooolddd me to buy online" sob sob) when a helpful customer informed us that it would not matter. The burner would work fine on an irish pc.

Now I don't know what to do. If I install this burner will it work? I don't even know which one he bought just that it will be arriving from the states.The customer said the connections are the same and the pc has internal power reuglators/convertors which will accept compontents from different regions.

any advice before this guy drives me nuts. As I was typing this I got a phone call from him asking did I get a reply on boards yet and I have not finished typing the post :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Check the spec on the box but I'm pretty sure components are usually rated 110-240V or something like that so that they are able to work worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

thanks gpf101. will check when it arrives. how he managed to buy it is a mystery since he is the most tech phobic, pc illerate gimp i have ever met.

but he is a good mate at the same time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

It'll work fine.

Is it internal or external?

PC internals are given power by the power supply which steps down the 240v AC to 12v DC of varying currents.

If it's external then those black plugs will be rated 100-240v like the other poster said. He might need one of those 2 pin to 3 pin adapters though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

oh god, i hope he ordered the internal one, i had not thought of that. I did tell him the differance but did it sink in? :(

ah well, keep calm and pray to castiel :D

Advertisement