Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you better of buying lots of Penneys clothing or a few quality garments?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Most cheap jeans are made from really light denim and therefore useless in winter.

Levis seem to be one of the few manufacturers that still make jeans that aren't covered in holes. I've had have four pairs of Levis for about five years and they're only now starting to look like those ridiculous looking Diesel jeans with rips in them. If I had bought Diesel jeans four years ago they would have been unwearable by now. As far as I'm concerned I got my moneys worth from the Levis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Just go nude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    Would it be wiser to but 5 pairs of Penneys jeans as opposed to the one pair of the more expensive brands?

5 pairs of Pennys jeans!! No recession where you are. For me and others it can be the difference between saving up for 6 months for a pair of branded jeans whilst only wearing a tee shirt and knickers, or buying a pair of Pennys jeans. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Penneys are great for socks, jocks, gloves, winter stuff etc and tshirts to wear under other stuff, Dunnes do brilliant cotton black and white tshirts for 6 euro, and they're a nice fit i have loads of them they go with everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

What would Paul Galvin do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

1.) Go on holiday
    2.) Buy your entire new wardrobe outside of Ireland
    3.) Remove all the tags and fill your suitcases
    4.) Return to Ireland

Amount of money saved will be staggering.
    Quality of clothing will be better too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

UCDVet wrote: »
    1.) Go on holiday
    2.) Buy your entire new wardrobe outside of Ireland
    3.) Remove all the tags and fill your suitcases
    4.) Return to Ireland

Amount of money saved will be staggering.
    Quality of clothing will be better too.

Depends where you go, Asian clothing typically has very different measurements and dimensions for each size etc compared to their western counterparts. You could get cheaper but ill-fitting clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Ya buy cheap and ya buy twice.

I always try to buy well-made clothes that don't go to pieces in the wash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I only wear dresses and find the ones in Pennys to be badly cut, they just don't sit right. Got one in there the other month and the fabric was so itchy my skin went all red. Apparently you need to wash Pennys clothes before wearing. No thanks.

My favourite dress cost €25 so my tastes aren't even that expensive :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

I find pennys great for kids clothes as they grow out of them so quickly. I get a good bit of stuff for work in there too, as well as jamas and underwear etc.
    For jeans i have to go to A-wear for the fit. I usually get the jeans there half price in the sale €17.50 so just as cheap as pennys ones. I find pennys jeans rubbish for sizes.
    I've picked up a nice few bits for going out as well in pennys. The only thing is you are guaranteed to meet someone on a night out with the exact same dress or top on.

To answer your question OP, a few quality garments are better if you have cash to pay for them. But pennys is grand for a quick fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I cleaned out my wardrobe a while back and was disgusted at the amount of Penney's stuff I gave to charity. All that money I spent on things that seemed cheap at the time. False economy to he honest.

I still shop in Penney's but only for basic stuff like tights and t-shirts. These days, I'd rather buy less, but better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I don't know what people are talking about. There's a world of difference between jeans in terms of the feel of the material, quality of the stitching, durability etc. Though there's very little relationship between cost and quality. Some of the more expensive brands are rubbish. Some of the cheaper brands are really good. So the only way to tell really is to try them on.

From my experience the best are Uniqlo, Tommy Hilfiger, Levis and AX. Worst are Calvin Klein, DKNY and Gap. Though, as a word of warning, I've often found that a brand changes supplier, and the quality changes completely.

Personally I don't mind paying a bit more, if it's going to be better quality. A good pair of jeans will last me up to 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I think it depends on the style of the clothing. If you're buying something that's a 'fad', you're better buying something cheap. It'll be gone out of fashion in a few months. Whereas you're better off spending more on a coat/suit/boots that will last you a long time.

In saying that, just because something is expensive/designer doesn't mean it looks well on you. I cringe at people telling me how they got their dress/coat/top at 'x' label when it looks shíte on them. Money can't by you style (unless you can afford a stylist..and even at that...).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Things like coats and shoes I splash out the extra money on because I want good quality, hardwearing stuff that I can get a few years of use out of. I splash out on trousers too because I want to be comfortable, and I hate polyester trousers. Stuff like jeans, shirts and jumpers I'll buy in Dunne's or Penny's since I wouldn't be expecting to have them more than a year or two. That said, if you look after them properly Penny's stuff will last pretty well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Quality every time. Cheap clothes don't fit, not ever. A t-shirt or socks I wouldn't care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I find some penneys clothing sizes can be weird at times. Bought a shirt the other day it seems about 2/3 sizes too big it looked smaller (might be the way it was made). I do wear some of their trousers or tops.
    Usually the trousers don't last as long. I usually by them in a slightly more expensive place like New Look or Top Shop and those sorta shops.
    The tops are good to buy in penneys though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Lads, charity shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Cargin

Ah I love Pennys. All the faults listed here are perfectly true, and I have experienced most of the personally, but there's just something about seeing something I really like, and being able to buy 4 of it for cheap, so that when one wears out or loses its shape or whatever, I can just use the next one!

....this makes me weird, doesn't it...

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

I'm surprised at the amount of people say they buy everyday things in Penney's and shop for special occasions in more expensive places.

I always think about the 'price per wear' and therefore, if I'm in a position to buy something expensive, I'll spend the money on something I'll wear all the time. I wouldn't like to splash out on a dress for a party that I'll only wear a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Cargin

tigerblob wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the amount of people say they buy everyday things in Penney's and shop for special occasions in more expensive places.

I always think about the 'price per wear' and therefore, if I'm in a position to buy something expensive, I'll spend the money I'll wear all the time. I wouldn't like to splash out on a dress for a party that I'll only wear a few times.

..I find your ideas interesting, and wish to subscribe to your newsletter...

(honestly, I've never heard anyone posit this notion, its intriguing)

• Advertisement

I only wear dresses and find the ones in Pennys to be badly cut, they just don't sit right. Got one in there the other month and the fabric was so itchy my skin went all red. Apparently you need to wash Pennys clothes before wearing. No thanks.

My favourite dress cost €25 so my tastes aren't even that expensive :p

I've heard the itchy thing before but I've never gotten it, I'd only wash the knickers before first wearing them. I've bought lots of dresses from Pennys and I find they're one of the few places that do dresses that fit my figure (A wear type).

I do find it hard to find my size in jeans (I'm a short leg) but when I do find a pair of jeans there they really last me. I had two pairs of Pennys jeans for 7 years.

To be honest when I'm looking in more expensive shops I find it really hard to find stuff that fits my figure. Pennys would always be my first port of call, except for tights, bras, and heavy shoes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Most important is fit, then cloth and stitching.
    I find the best is usually the inbetweeny shops that arent dear and arent very cheap.

Things can be fine or even great in penneys, and things can be terrible from it, things like jeans over 100e are not worth it like levi 501s or whatever.
    You can go into the likes forever21 and get great quality clothes for much less. Or shops like bershka where I got jeans for 13 euro.

You are better off finding cheap things that are good quality, over dear things that arent much better quality.
    http://i.imgur.com/2kJ9n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

:eek: The price of that scarf takes the pi55, and for the price of that jacket I'd expect something with padding and kevlar.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah I know, prices like that are quite common. It's hilarious!
    http://i.imgur.com/yMbox.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/TJGlw.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/McFHg.jpg

etc

That's why although you may say expensive jeans are better than penneys jeans, there are also really cheap jeans that are not really worse than ones that cost a few hundred. People do pay for a name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

The good thing about penney's you can get lovely things for reasonable value and price which are worth the value. Quality can varies depends how much wear and use you get out of them.

Advertisement