Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 2013

Options
  • 11-11-2012 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey guys!
    Myself and some friends are thinking of heading to Huntington Beach, California on a J1 next summer. We've heard that jobs can be difficult to find but don't know much else! If anyone has been there and has info about where to get jobs, accomodation etc and what going out and stuff is like over there it would be appreciated! Or if anyone else thinking of going over as well has heard anything, we'd love to know! Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Flunch

Friends of mine were just there last Summer.
    Had a great time but out of 15 only 4 managed to get jobs! I would defo advise heading over early & getting in before everyone else.
    They stayed in the Huntington Vista Apartments.
    I'll try get some more info for you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lamp92

Yeah we keep hearing about how hard it can be to get a job so we'll definitely look into going early! Thanks for the help!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jessica141

me and two of my friends are thinking of going over too, were in between here and san diego but from anything i've read this is much better, harder to get jobs and accommodation but worth it, but we'd be up for house sharing etc.. i know theres a fair on in the RDS in February about jobs in J1 areas..i'm not sure when though i just heard about it in college, but apparently if you go to it you can pretty much have your job sorted before you go over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MissyFee

Anyone know what the best company to go with for Huntington is? As far as I can see.. with the offers at the minute Sayit seems the best 'cause the insurance is free as well for now, but wondering are any of the companies (Usit, Sayit, Go4Less etc.) known for cheapest flights? Or is there any way to look at the prices of the J1 flights at the minute?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ashleec4

MissyFee wrote: »
    Anyone know what the best company to go with for Huntington is? As far as I can see.. with the offers at the minute Sayit seems the best 'cause the insurance is free as well for now, but wondering are any of the companies (Usit, Sayit, Go4Less etc.) known for cheapest flights? Or is there any way to look at the prices of the J1 flights at the minute?
    Thanks

4 of my friends and I are planning on going to huntington aswel during the summer.. :) we had the same problem deciding on which agency to choose.. in the end we opted for go4less because they were the most honest about the prices you had to pay and by when before you even registered.. id presume there all around the same at the end of the day and will more or less all work out the same price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Phillymwon

Myself and a couple of friends from college, all lads, have booked our J1 and are looking to head to Huntington Beach because its supposed to be the best place to go as far as we've heard but the only problem we've found people say about it is jobs. Most of us will be just turned 21 by the time we leave so we're going to apply for some bar/restaurant work before we go and maybe a few other places like theme parks etc because these are places we heard J1ers can get jobs easy enough. Apparently along the strip at the beach there are loads of shops and restaurants so we're aiming to go out early to try get a job secured so we can make some cash to party with. One thing we dont really know is about accommodation so If anyone has any info on places to rent post it up and we're all willing to share with anyone really. Keep an eye on https://www.facebook.com/californiasummer.guide?fref=ts this as well on facebook for advice!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lamp92

MissyFee wrote: »
    Thanks

From what I've heard you'll be paying more or less the same regardless of who you go with. We booked booked with USIT to get the €279 discount on the programme fee and they have a jobs database as well but some of my friends have gone with SAYIT as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 niamhw123

hey me and a few friends are heading to huntington beach this summer, would be up for sharing accommodation as we hear its very expensive for a small group! any suggestions on accommodation/jobs?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jessica141

Phillymwon wrote: »
    Myself and a couple of friends from college, all lads, have booked our J1 and are looking to head to Huntington Beach because its supposed to be the best place to go as far as we've heard but the only problem we've found people say about it is jobs. Most of us will be just turned 21 by the time we leave so we're going to apply for some bar/restaurant work before we go and maybe a few other places like theme parks etc because these are places we heard J1ers can get jobs easy enough. Apparently along the strip at the beach there are loads of shops and restaurants so we're aiming to go out early to try get a job secured so we can make some cash to party with. One thing we dont really know is about accommodation so If anyone has any info on places to rent post it up and we're all willing to share with anyone really. Keep an eye on https://www.facebook.com/californiasummer.guide?fref=ts this as well on facebook for advice!!:D

Me and Two of my friends (Both female, 20,20 and 21) are probably heading to huntington this summer if your up for accommodation sharing, we haven't really looked anything up but i've heard a lot of places don't really start advertising till next april/may, let me know if your interested in sharing Jessicalunn1992@hotmail.com :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 la2012

Hey so I went to Huntington Beach last year and couldn't get accommodation anywhere. Think the people in HB are sick of Irish students. The group I was with ended up moving to Costa Mesa after 5 days in HB. Got accommodation the day we moved there. Costa Mesa is just 10 mins from Huntington Beach and the people there love the Irish!
    Newport Beach was just down the road from us so it was grand for the beach!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 JoeCullen

la2012 wrote: »
    Hey so I went to Huntington Beach last year and couldn't get accommodation anywhere. Think the people in HB are sick of Irish students. The group I was with ended up moving to Costa Mesa after 5 days in HB. Got accommodation the day we moved there. Costa Mesa is just 10 mins from Huntington Beach and the people there love the Irish!
    Newport Beach was just down the road from us so it was grand for the beach!

My friends were in HB aswell but they couldn't find any accommodation either. I think they got accommodation in Newport Beach. What was the price like here??

• Registered Users Posts: 42 lizlemon16

If anyone need someone to share accom with let me know! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ella1991

Heya :)

There is a few of us heading to Huntington this year, heard it is very hard to find jobs tho !?
    If anyone wants to share accom wed be interested, our friends went their last summer and they had 18 in a 2 bedroom but they sed it was unreal and their place had a pool and a gym and all, it was far away from the beech tho but they sed that was where all the Irish were :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dazzler101

Hey guys

I have the j1 booked to los angeles, im goin solo and seems to be huntington beach. Bit worried about the job/accom front. But if any of ye are looking to share accom or a travel buddy get in touch :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 lizlemon16

I'm going to LA solo as well, what dates are you going for? definitely interested in sharing accom, I went to boarding school so I'm pretty easy to live with :) my dates are the 31st of may to 2 september.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dazzler101

lizlemon16 wrote: »
    I'm going to LA solo as well, what dates are you going for? definitely interested in sharing accom, I went to boarding school so I'm pretty easy to live with :) my dates are the 31st of may to 2 september.

Cool man, jump on board :-) the dates I picked were the 25th of may, but still have to find ou what my last exam dates are. Gud stuff :-D where in LA u thinking of going? Only place I heard bad stuff about is san diego.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ella1991

Went into Usit today and they told us flights and insurance and visa would cost 1302 in total from Shannon to LA Galaxy airport with a change in Heathrow :) and the embassy fee is $160 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Coco pop

Hi guys!
    Myself and a few friends are heading to San Diego this summer but we're worried about jobs/accommodation/drinking etc. Anybody have any past experiences to share? Thanks so much ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ben_7

Heading over to San Diego on the 30th of May for 3 months. There's 5 of us, were from Kildare and looking for a few people to live with...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ben Big Man Burke

Ben_7 wrote: »
    Heading over to San Diego on the 30th of May for 3 months. There's 5 of us, were from Kildare and looking for a few people to live with...

We're also from Kildare man, afew lads from Kilcock heading out the san diego on the 30th of May. Looking to share accom with people. One of our lads has been before so he can help with jobs etc! anyone interested add me on the book!

http://www.facebook.com/ben.burke.395

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Ben_7

We're also from Kildare man, afew lads from Kilcock heading out the san diego on the 30th of May. Looking to share accom with people. One of our lads has been before so he can help with jobs etc! anyone interested add me on the book!

http://www.facebook.com/ben.burke.395

That's the lad who's been before. He calls himself "The go to man". Message him for any queries... vvv

http://www.facebook.com/stefan.mooney?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ben Big Man Burke

Ben_7 wrote: »
    That's the lad who's been before. He calls himself "The go to man". Message him for any queries... vvv

http://www.facebook.com/stefan.mooney?fref=ts

wow. you can only see his profile photos but he is as handsome. Definitely living with him

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nnoneill

wow. you can only see his profile photos but he is as handsome. Definitely living with him

Oh wow you two are very handsome, heading over with some of my girlos also from kildare. But i was just wondering if you are getting the boat or plane? looking at prices kinda working out the same, so undecided!!
    Sure give me a private mail ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SophieMaz

Ella1991 wrote: »

There is a few of us heading to Huntington this year, heard it is very hard to find jobs tho !?
    If anyone wants to share accom wed be interested, our friends went their last summer and they had 18 in a 2 bedroom but they sed it was unreal and their place had a pool and a gym and all, it was far away from the beech tho but they sed that was where all the Irish were :)

Hey ,
    Myself and two friends ( all girls) are heading over too, and would def be interested in sharing. Somewhere with a gym would also be a bonus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SophieMaz

Ella1991 wrote: »

Hey ,
    Myself and two friends ( all girls) are heading over too, and would def be interested in sharing. Somewhere with a gym would also be a bonus!! Let me know if anyones up for sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 la2012

JoeCullen wrote: »
    My friends were in HB aswell but they couldn't find any accommodation either. I think they got accommodation in Newport Beach. What was the price like here??

It was $2000 a month. There were 7 of us living in a 2 bed apartment. It was grand! There were cheaper places in Costa Mesa but this was the best we could get in such short notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SF2013

Anyone going San Francisco or know if this is a good spot for J1?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dean.shallow

hey guys me and a few friends are going to Huntington Beach this summer, the two girls are flying out the 27th of may and im heading out with the other guy on the 13th of june due to some college business. a few friends who went before said if you havent got accommodation before you get over there then look into hostels for a few days to give a bitta breading space. also places i've looked up through google seem to work out at around 100-140 a week depending on how fancy you wana be and how many ppl you got with (we've got 4/5). with the jobs tho im still stuck but i aint looked into it much, a friend was saying you can get cash in hand jobs with them rickshaw bikes up and down the beach but some days you'd make nothing so its probaly not reliable. if anyone knows of places that hire students let me know it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vinny_hughes

Hey guys , me and a friend both lads are thinking of heading over to america, probaly bit late for oganizing but does any have two places in accommodation or need more people ! we are pretty much up for going anywhere preferably westcoast , plus i have an american passport could come in handy when renting cars and getting accommodation that dont give out to irish students .
    We are both 20 if anyone wants to know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 char88

Phillymwon wrote: »
    Hiya:) im heading Huntington beach this summer too and looking for people to house share with! Im goin over on my own but know another girl that is also looking to house share so if yas want another 2 girls to share with let me know:) pm me thanks!

Advertisement