Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worrying That I'm Beginning To Suffer From Short Man Syndrome!

• 11-11-2012 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

I know short guys get a lot of bad press from time to time, especially when it comes to dating, earning potential in higher job positions, sports etc.

Now I've never been conscious about my height generally despite all that, I measure between 5'8 (morning height) to 5'7 1/2 (evening height - what I am now). So I'm pretty much a proud shortarse. :D

Now I was at the Aviva today for my first Rugby international match, came all the way down from Omagh and I couldn't believe how noticebly small I was compared to most of the crowd. Its the first time I've been down to Dublin since July, has the whole of D4 been supersized or something? I couldn't believe how tall most people were there, is it just Rugby crowds that are strangley tall?

I mean I would say the about 15-20% of the crowd were at least 6'4 or above, 70% were above 6ft, and I rarely found anyone smaller than me. Whats worse is that I think the average female height was 5'9 or 5'10 as well. Lots of tall women with their tall boyfriends. I felt so minature.

Anyway I'm beginning to get a bit paranoid about my height, and I don't want to start becoming one of those guys who do, as it never bothered me originally. But I've now started to measure my height more frequently, becoming more conscious about my posture when standing etc, becoming a bit of a twat about it really.

I stand at 172cm, the smallest player on the entire bloody pitch on either side according to the programme was 175cm, just to put it into perspective. Sheesh no wonder I didn't play Rugby.

I know some short guys who have a thing about lifts, but I never got the point of them, people will see how small you are once you take them off?

Are there any other 5'7/5'8 guys who have dangerously become over conscious about their height at any point? :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Sorry, who said that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

5ft 8? short really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

5'7/5'8 may be a little below average, but it's not that short.

Sorry. I was in personal issues mode there.

Haha, shortarse. Ahh, that's better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

I'm 6ft 7, feeling better now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

If you've measured yourself twice a day it has become a serious issue for you.

Most people don't see height, or weight or whatever. Just shallow people. And honest people.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

5'8" is short?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

That's a big argument for a small issue.

You may need to lose a few inches in height to be in with a shot of that btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Now I've never been conscious about my height generally despite all that, I measure between 5'8 (morning height) to 5'7 1/2 (evening height - what I am now). So I'm pretty much a proud shortarse. :D
    :P

You measure yourself at night? Ok....:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

What you talkin' 'bout Willis?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Faith+1 wrote: »

Because there's a difference, you tend to be smaller at night, its supposed to be your official height therefore I think since its your minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭0000879k

6ft and still growing. *fist pumps*

But srsly, not a big deal, just don't try to pursue professional Basketball as a career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

OP Grow up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Everyone loses some height at the end of the day, due to gravity squeezing some fluid out of the discs in your spine. You are tallest in the morning (when the fluid is reabsorbed into the discs), shortest at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

You never said what age you were op, cause unless your 14 or 15 your wasting your time measuring yourself over and over, the tape ain't gonna change if your 18+. Actually 5 8" is not tiny, if you think it will hold you back or effect your life then its not your height thats going to hold you back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

If you're worried about being short, just move to the moon. Everyone is taller there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I'm very tall. Does that help at all? Who gives a sh1t what height you are? Some of the most charismatic, life enhancing people I know are really short lads - they usually have stunning, tall girlfriends as well. Get over it, you probably got given a big personality, focus on the positives, titch.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

You need to grow up mate and stop worrying about this stuff:)

5'8" isn't short .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I know short guys get a lot of bad press from time to time, especially when it comes to dating, earning potential in higher job positions, sports etc.

Now I was at the Aviva today for my first Rugby international match, came all the way down from Omagh and I couldn't believe how noticebly small I was compared to most of the crowd. Its the first time I've been down to Dublin since July, has the whole of D4 been supersized or something? I couldn't believe how tall most people were there, is it just Rugby crowds that are strangley tall?

I mean I would say the about 15-20% of the crowd were at least 6'4 or above, 70% were above 6ft, and I rarely found anyone smaller than me. Whats worse is that I think the average female height was 5'9 or 5'10 as well. Lots of tall women with their tall boyfriends. I felt so minature.

Anyway I'm beginning to get a bit paranoid about my height, and I don't want to start becoming one of those guys who do, as it never bothered me originally. But I've now started to measure my height more frequently, becoming more conscious about my posture when standing etc, becoming a bit of a twat about it really.

I stand at 172cm, the smallest player on the entire bloody pitch on either side according to the programme was 175cm, just to put it into perspective. Sheesh no wonder I didn't play Rugby.

I know some short guys who have a thing about lifts, but I never got the point of them, people will see how small you are once you take them off?

Are there any other 5'7/5'8 guys who have dangerously become over conscious about their height at any point? :P

Thinly veiled Bandwagon thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    What you talkin' 'bout Willis?
    Chick Norris is what willis is talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

You need to grow up mate and stop worrying about this stuff:)

5'8" isn't short .

Well technically I'm less than 5'8, 5'7 1/2 is what I am right now, and its my minimum height which is supposed to be your official one.

On another note are rugby crowds taller? Or is it just D4 people?

• Advertisement

Well technically I'm less than 5'8, 5'7 1/2 is what I am right now, and its my minimum height which is supposed to be your official one.

Has your girlfriend done the dirt with a tall rugby player from Dublin?

*enter short pun here *

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

6'4" here OP. Now happy enough with it, but spent a long time half-wishing I was 3-4 inches shorter. Its just as uncomfortable looking down as looking up...

Also, you're far more physiologically suited at your height to being both a F1 driver and a fighter pilot than us 6'+'s...

:rolleyes:Oh and yes he probably has a bigger cock than you too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Just get a ticket for the Lilliput Stand next time..

GreeBo wrote: »
    OP Grow up!
    That one went over his head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Same height as ya OP and tbh I never "feel" smaller than anyone unless they're over 6ft 5. A few of my bosses are shorter than me and are earning a big wad of dirty cash. They've wives too, go figure. My best mate actually is a footballer...same height.

I on the other hand don't earn much because I'm a short arse and women won't date me because they naturally assume I've a tiny willy from being such a short arse. I can't play sport either because I'm a useless short arse.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    *enter short pun here *

The length of your pun doesnt matter...but it would have be better (for the rest of us) if it was funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I know some short guys who have a thing about lifts, but I never got the point of them

They're really handy in multi-storey buildings as the stairs can be a killer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Your not that short. I'm 5'6", I wish I was 5'8"

GreeBo wrote: »

The length of your pun doesnt matter...but it would have be better (for the rest of us) if it was funny.
    Don't get short with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

I'm 5'7, never bothered me at all, I got two arms, two legs and I'm basically healthy in body and mind. That's a lot to be thankful for imo. Of course I'm unemployed with no girlfriend and cant play sports :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It's not the size but what you do with it. That saying has no meaning here.

Why would you measure you height on a regular basis, do you think that it's actually going to change???

5'7" isn't that small and I don't think any thing to be conscious of but measuring your height in the morning and again in the evening us something to worry about and perhaps you should seek help in relation to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

You are on the level with me so;)
    I also suspect taller people seem to get on disproportionly well in work careers, for example it often struck me watching city of London commuters. In factory work situations supervisors appeared to subconsciously give taller folk more responsible or "suitable manly" type roles, but maybe that's My biased viewpoint but i think its natural to appoint folk to roles where they would not appear "silly" Then again when one gets to the super successful the shorties get back in the frame eg Bernie Ecclestone etc.
    It also appears that succeeding generations are getting progressively taller.
    It's all about having confidence In yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

5'7"-5'8" is hardly short!

Stop thinking so much OP. Unlike weight, you can't change how tall you were genetically programmed to be so just learn to live with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Another thought....

These days it officially doesn't matter. Minimum height restriction (Guards) has been done away with. As has the maximum height restriction (Bus Conductor doesn't exist as a job any more).

This is a good thing on many levels*.

*unintended 'levels' pun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Stop thinking so much OP. Unlike weight, you can't change how tall you were genetically programmed to be so just learn to live with it.

aw jaysus, he's not fat as well is he... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I'm 5.8 which is tall for a girl

Everytime you feel bad about your height or lack of just repeat this mantra to yourself

I am not short I am fun-sized

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

5'8''?

has there being a 'thinly disguised' post yet?

lukesmom wrote: »

Everytime you feel bad about your height or lack of just repeat this mantra to yourself

em, couldn't 'fun' size be, well, misinterpreted?

I mean bouncy castles are fun-sized. Foam hands are fun sized. etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

lukesmom wrote: »

Jayzus, same height as myself, we're a match :D

gurramok wrote: »
    Jayzus, same height as myself, we're a match :D
    (dude, heads up, she has a son, ok? named Luke)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

I wouldn't class 5' 8" as short.

ArtSmart wrote: »
    (dude, heads up, she has a son, ok? named Luke)

How da phook do you know, bleein internet stalkers :P :)

tan11ie wrote: »
    I wouldn't class 5' 8" as short.
    (psst - neither does the Op. shussh)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    If you've measured yourself twice a day it has become a serious issue for you.

Most people don't see height, or weight or whatever. Just shallow people. And honest people.

I notice height, because I have to bend down to hear what the small people are saying. I notice peoples weight too. It's not being shallow, it's being observant.

I'd say average height for a guy in Ireland is around 5'8-5'9 so you're not far off that OP. Most Irish girls are around 5'5-5'6. The tall girls you saw were probably wearing heels.

Larianne wrote: »
    I notice height, because I have to bend down to hear what the small people are saying. I notice peoples weight too. It's not being shallow, it's being observant.

I'd say average height for a guy in Ireland is around 5'8-5'9 so you're not far off that OP. Most Irish girls are around 5'5-5'6. The tall girls you saw were probably wearing heels.
    LOL.

classic.

Larianne wrote: »

On this point, I find most girls aged 30 or under to be quite taller than average. Ya know most seem to be 5'10 or taller. Something happened since the mid 80's for women coming of age to be so tall, there are just many more of them taller than in the previously generation, maybe its diet or just being raised alongside giraffes :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

On this point, I find most girls aged 30 or under to be quite taller than average. Ya know most seem to be 5'10 or taller.

:confused:

No. I'm almost 5'10" and I'm usually the tallest girl in a room/bar/whatever.

OP don't worry, I have loads of friends who are fellas and are your height and get on just fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

On this point, I find most girls aged 30 or under to be quite taller than average. Ya know most seem to be 5'10 or taller. Something happened since the mid 80's for women coming of age to be so tall, there are just many more of them taller than in the previously generation, maybe its diet or just being raised alongside giraffes :P

You know, I think girls are becoming taller. I'm 5'10 and a half. I went back to college as a mature student and there is a good few girls in the class my height or even taller. Whereas when I went to college first time around (12 years ago) there was only one other girl in my class the same height as me.

But the majority are little 'uns. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement