Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worrying That I'm Beginning To Suffer From Short Man Syndrome!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Lia_lia wrote: »
    :confused:

No. I'm almost 5'10" and I'm usually the tallest girl in a room/bar/whatever.

OP don't worry, I have loads of friends who are fellas and are your height and get on just fine!

Maybe I should of given an percentage ;)

I'm in my thirties and i've noticed many girls younger than me(without heels) are taller, the more younger they are the taller they seem to be. Looks like about half are quite tall, at that 5'10" mark. Same for fella's as well, I think its a generational thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

One of the most charismatic and coolest guy I came to know was only about 5'7ish.
    He was a really nice guy, extremely popular with the ladies and everyone loved him. He did lots of sports and lots of cool adventure type stuff too.

I will agree lately people seem to be a lot taller. About 70% of the Irish guys I know are at least 5'10" and the majority are over 6' tall. And also at least 50% of the girls I know are around 5'10" as well while the majority are at least 5'5"-5'6". Probably something to do with the modern diet I guess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Probably something to do with the modern diet I guess...
    Or the bonkers shoes all the young wans are wearing these days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Everyone loses some height at the end of the day, due to gravity squeezing some fluid out of the discs in your spine. You are tallest in the morning (when the fluid is reabsorbed into the discs), shortest at night.

Yes I know that but I have better things to do than compare my day height to night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

5 8" is small? Feck i better start stretching. im aiming for 6 2". Anyone got a stretching table?

Thanks. now i realize im feckin tiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm about 6'1 / 6'2 so it's not a problem I've had to think about. But two of my best mates are about 5'6 and 5'8 and it doesn't seem to have any effect on their confidence or lifestyle, so I'd say don't bother worrying about it OP!

They're both very confident lads who get a ton of respect from everyone who knows them, one of them is in a high earning job and is bloody good at sports, so it definitely doesn't hold them back. You're never going to change it, so if you let it get to you you're only shooting yourself in the foot.

Being tall(ish) isn't all its cracked up to be. I've another mate who is 6'5, so there's always going to be someone around who makes you feel small. Not to mention shorter people live longer on average, so look on the bright side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Well technically I'm less than 5'8, 5'7 1/2 is what I am right now, and its my minimum height which is supposed to be your official one.

On another note are rugby crowds taller? Or is it just D4 people?

it's tiered seating. The people behind you aren't taller, they're just higher up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Not to mention shorter people live longer on average, so look on the bright side!

Do they? I must admit I haven't heard of that one yet!

Do they? I must admit I haven't heard of that one yet!

Here is one example of a paper on it.
    However, animal and human data suggest that larger body size independently reduces longevity. Therefore, the promotion of greater height and lean body mass in our children needs to be objectively evaluated by the medical profession before it becomes the norm.

Certainly people who are abnormally tall often die young of heart failure, but apparently longevity is reduced even for taller people in the "normal" height range.

Obviously other factors on when you die are going to have a MUCH GREATER influence, but I'm trying to give the lad something to feel positive about. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Don't worry OP

Hitler was 5' 8"
    Stalin about 5' 6"
    Mussolini 5' 6"
    Emperor Hirohito 5' 5"

We expect great things from you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

I'd just become really funny......people like short funny people.

Not like Danny deVito though. : (

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Napolean is considered small and suffering from small man syndrome but he was actually average height for the time period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Socioeconomic status and height are correlated. You're likely to get a taller crowd at an international rugby match than you are at, say, a Bohs vs Rovers match.

I'm 5 foot 9.5 and have gotten plenty of negative comments, mostly from women about my height through the years. Have also been asked if I'm a jockey etc.

Have also heard numerous negative comments made about other so called short indvdiauls. Eg someone buys a nice car, if a tall man bought the same car women would be swooning but because the guy is 5 foot 7 he's "compensating" and it's "pathetic". If I say anything against this hypocrisy I'm then told I'm an "angry short man".

There seems to be this idea that short or average men are unmasculine, weak and can be easily beaten up by taller individuals. Personally I have around 10 years of heavy weight training and some boxing and martial arts under my belt. Who's going to be better at most physical tasks and defending himself and his family if the need arises - me or a 6 foot 4, untrained lanky fella with an office job.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Who's going to be better at most physical tasks and defending himself and his family if the need arises - me or a 6 foot 4, untrained lanky fella with an office job.

To be fair, probably a 6 foot 4 weight trainer with boxing and martial arts under his belt. If we're going to compare like for like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

To be fair, probably a 6 foot 4 weight trainer with boxing and martial arts under his belt. If we're going to compare like for like.

My money is always on the bloke with the Glock.

• Advertisement

doomed wrote: »
    My money is always on the bloke with the Glock.

Ah the great equaliser. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Socioeconomic status and height are correlated. You're likely to get a taller crowd at an international rugby match than you are at, say, a Bohs vs Rovers match.

I'm 5 foot 9.5 and have gotten plenty of negative comments, mostly from women about my height through the years. Have also been asked if I'm a jockey etc.

Have also heard numerous negative comments made about other so called short indvdiauls. Eg someone buys a nice car, if a tall man bought the same car women would be swooning but because the guy is 5 foot 7 he's "compensating" and it's "pathetic". If I say anything against this hypocrisy I'm then told I'm an "angry short man".

There seems to be this idea that short or average men are unmasculine, weak and can be easily beaten up by taller individuals. Personally I have around 10 years of heavy weight training and some boxing and martial arts under my belt. Who's going to be better at most physical tasks and defending himself and his family if the need arises - me or a 6 foot 4, untrained lanky fella with an office job.
    That's bizarre. I am the same height as you and I have never gotten any comments being critical of my height. Well, once some taller guy made a reference to short people "like you" and I just laughed and said I'm not short, I'm average height, and he agreed and retracted the comment.

From those comments you have gotten, it kind of sounds like you associate with kunts to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

djk1000 wrote: »
    I'm 6ft 7, feeling better now?

He could suckle at your teat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I'm 5'8 / 172cm, Doesn't really bother me, People tend to notice my width not my height..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,not to worry but you are around the same height as Bono and Danny de Vito and that other celeb Verne Troyer is only a little taller than you.:D

Verne-Troyer-6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Come to Scotland - you'll walk tall:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I always dated men 6ft and above and I am only 5ft 1in - husband is 5ft 10 inches and it is not an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

OP my da is 5'8 and I'm about 4 stone heavier than him. He has a very good job and has never been given stick for his size. You're way overreacting.

Think of all the famous short men there are out there:

Joe Pesci
    and ...
    eh ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I'm 5'5, and if I took things as seriously as some of the 'short' men on here I'd be as well just hiding in a box for the rest of my life.

Luckily for me, I don't. I rarely get comments on my height, and the last girl I was seeing was at least 4 inches taller than me. Harden up lads :D

Also, BrianD3, you're above average height so either a) You're hanging around with giants or b) you need a new measuring tape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Don't worry op, my name's Phil Hogan, I'm a tall cùnt and everyone hates me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Look at the chart in the link below:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height#Average_height_around_the_world

I'd say the average world height is around 5'7/5'8. The average Irish height is listed as 5'10 but that looks off to me. The average american height is only 5'10 and they're a big bunch. Even when you only take the average for black guys, so it's not like the asians and tiny whiteys are bringing it down.

I have noticed an unusual number of tall people in southside bars and clubs though. I remember one night in Coppers with a work crowd where I was sure I'd shrunk about 6 inches because every single feckin person seemed to be taller than me by a good margin. But then I realised it was probably just full of big farmers up from the country lookin for a bit of tart :)

Small is anything below about 5'4". Between there and 5'10" and the whole world is designed to suit you more than anyone else. Doors, cars, shoes, clothes - most of them will be just right for a guy around 5'7ish. I'm happily the same height as you and I really wouldn't change it. Being less than 5'10" is also a convenient filter for women who are so dim they wouldn't consider anyone that's not "tall". Anyone that, literally, looks down on you and says you're short is just bein an arrse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I read somewhere that the average height for F1 drivers was 5:7/5:8 inches. I think their dainty little cinderella feet help with car control. Feel better? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

gurramok wrote: »
    Maybe I should of given an percentage ;)

I'm in my thirties and i've noticed many girls younger than me(without heels) are taller, the more younger they are the taller they seem to be. Looks like about half are quite tall, at that 5'10" mark. Same for fella's as well, I think its a generational thing.

I'm 5'10 and so are a few other of my girl friends, all our guy friends are shorter than us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I'm probably a little bit shorter than you, OP, but it hasn't bothered me for a long time. It's probably not healthy, however, that you're measuring yourself twice a day and that you're talking about your official height. If you're reasonably confident you'll find that people won't fixate on things like height. you'll also find that people that do probably have other issues that have little to do with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mckenzie84

5"8 isn't short. It's average.

I'd call short 5"6 and below.

I'm 5"10 myself so I'm not being biased.

Tbh, I think everyone under 6ft wishes they had an extra inch or two. While plenty over 6ft would like drop down a tiny bit.

I'd say your self esteem problems aren't really about your height tbh mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mckenzie84

5"8 isn't short. It's average.

I'd call short 5"6 and below.

I'm 5"10 myself so I'm not being biased.

Tbh, I think everyone under 6ft wishes they had an extra inch or two. While plenty over 6ft would like drop down a tiny bit.

I'd say your self esteem problems aren't really about your height tbh mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Chart showing the average height of males and females in various world countries.

Country Average male height Average female height
    Argentina 174.46 cm (5 ft 8.6 in) 161.03 cm (5 ft 3.4 in)
    Australia 178.4 cm (5' 10.2") 163.9 cm (5' 4.5")
    Bahrain 165.1 cm (5' 5") 154.7 cm (5' 1")
    Belgium 176.6 cm (5' 9.5") 163.3 cm (5' 4.3")
    Brazil 169.0 cm (5' 6.5") 158.0 cm (5' 2.2")
    Cameroon 170.6 cm (5' 7.2") 161.3 cm (5' 3.5")
    Canada 174 cm (5' 8.5") 161.0 cm (5' 3.4")
    China (PRC) 164.8 cm (5' 4.9") 154.5 cm (5' 0.8")
    China 169.4 cm (5' 6.7") 158.6 cm (5' 2.5")
    Colombia 170.64 cm (5' 7.2") 158.65 cm (5' 2.4")
    Cote d'Ivoire 170.1 cm (5' 7") 159.1 cm (5' 2.7")
    Czech Republic 180.3 cm (5' 11") 167.3 cm (5' 6.0")
    Denmark 180.6 cm (5' 11.1")
    Dinaric Alps 185.6 cm (6' 1.0") 171.0 cm (5' 7.2")
    Estonia 179.1 cm (5' 10.5")
    Finland 178.2 cm (5' 10") 164.7 cm (5' 4.7")
    France 174.1 cm (5' 8.5") 161.9 cm (5' 3.7")
    Ghana 169.46 cm (5' 6.7") 158.53 cm (5' 2.4")
    Gambia 168.0 cm (5' 6.1") 157.8 cm (5' 2.2")
    Germany 178.1 cm (5' 10") 165 cm (5' 4.9")
    Guatemala (Maya people) 157.5 cm (5' 2") 142.2 cm (4' 6")
    Hong Kong 170 cm (5' 7") 158.8 cm (5' 2.6")
    Hungary, Debrecen 179.14 cm (5' 10.4") 165.84 cm (5' 5.2")
    Iceland 181.7 cm (5' 11.5") 167.6 cm (5' 6")
    India 165.3 cm (5' 5") 165.3 cm (5' 5")
    Indonesia 158.0 cm (5' 2.2") 147.0 cm (4' 10.0")
    Indonesia, East Bali 162.4 cm (5' 3.9") 151.3 cm (4' 11.5")
    Iran 174.24 cm (5' 8.6") 160.0 cm (5' 3")
    Iraq 165.4 cm (5' 5.1") 155.8 cm (5' 1.3")
    Israel 175.6 cm (5' 9.2") 162.7 cm (5' 4.1")
    Italy - Middle & North 176.9 cm (5' 9.7") 163.2 cm (5' 4.2")
    Italy - South 174.2 cm (5' 8.0") 160.8 cm (5' 3.3")
    Japan 171.2 cm (5' 7.4") 158.8 cm (5' 2.6")
    Korea, South 175.26 cm (5' 9") 162.56 cm (5' 4")
    Lithuania 176.3 cm (5' 9.4")
    Malaysia 164.7 cm (5' 4.8") 153.3 cm (5' 0.4")
    Malta 169 cm (5' 6.5") 159 cm (5' 2.6")
    Malawi 166 cm (5' 5.3") 155 cm (5' 1.1")
    Mali 171.3 cm (5' 7.4") 160.4 cm (5' 3.2")
    Mexico, State of Morelos 167 cm (5' 5.7") 155 cm (5' 1.1")
    Netherlands 184.8 cm (6' 0.8") 168.7 cm (5' 6.4")
    New Zealand 177.0 cm (5' 9.7") 165.0 cm (5' 5")
    Nigeria 163.8 cm (5' 4.5") 157.8 cm (5' 2.1")
    Norway 179.9 cm (5' 10.8") 167.2 cm (5' 5.9")
    Philippines 163.5 cm (5' 4.4") 151.8 cm (4' 11.8")
    Portugal 172.8 cm (5' 8")
    Singapore 170.6 cm (5' 7.2") 160 cm (5' 3")
    South Africa 169.0 cm (5' 6.5") 159.0 cm (5' 2.5")
    Spain 170 cm (5' 7") 161 cm (5' 3.3")
    Sweden 180 cm (5' 10.9") 166.9 cm (5' 5.7")
    Switzerland 175.5 cm (5' 9") 164.0 cm (5' 3.8")
    Taiwan 171.45 cm (5' 7.5") 159.68 cm (5' 2.75")
    Thailand 167.5 cm (5' 5.9") 157.3 cm (5' 1.9")
    Turkey 173.74 cm (5' 8.4") 161.4 cm (5' 3.5")
    United Kingdom 176.8 cm (5' 9.6") 163.7 cm (5' 4.4")
    U.S. 178.2 cm (5' 10.2") 164.1 cm (5' 4.6")
    Vietnam 167 cm 156 cm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

I know short guys get a lot of bad press from time to time, especially when it comes to dating, earning potential in higher job positions, sports etc.

Now I've never been conscious about my height generally despite all that, I measure between 5'8 (morning height) to 5'7 1/2 (evening height - what I am now). So I'm pretty much a proud shortarse. :D

Now I was at the Aviva today for my first Rugby international match, came all the way down from Omagh and I couldn't believe how noticebly small I was compared to most of the crowd. Its the first time I've been down to Dublin since July, has the whole of D4 been supersized or something? I couldn't believe how tall most people were there, is it just Rugby crowds that are strangley tall?

I mean I would say the about 15-20% of the crowd were at least 6'4 or above, 70% were above 6ft, and I rarely found anyone smaller than me. Whats worse is that I think the average female height was 5'9 or 5'10 as well. Lots of tall women with their tall boyfriends. I felt so minature.

Anyway I'm beginning to get a bit paranoid about my height, and I don't want to start becoming one of those guys who do, as it never bothered me originally. But I've now started to measure my height more frequently, becoming more conscious about my posture when standing etc, becoming a bit of a twat about it really.

I stand at 172cm, the smallest player on the entire bloody pitch on either side according to the programme was 175cm, just to put it into perspective. Sheesh no wonder I didn't play Rugby.

I know some short guys who have a thing about lifts, but I never got the point of them, people will see how small you are once you take them off?

Are there any other 5'7/5'8 guys who have dangerously become over conscious about their height at any point? :P

The Dutch are the tallest people on Earth with the average male height being 6'1". Chances are that the giraffes you saw were South Africans of Dutch descent. 6'4" is not common in Ireland. Even 6' is tall. I'm 5'11 and am considered average to tall. You are 5'8 so your head top would come up to my ear top. That's not a short arse. You'd be a midget in Friesland and a giant in Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

At least you will never have to put up with the following sh*t:

What height are you? Myself and my friends have a bet on.
    Are your parents tall?
    Are your brothers and sisters tall?
    Is your girlfriend/wife tall?
    Do you play basketball?
    Do you play rugby?
    Are you a GAA football midfielder?
    What's the weather like up there?
    Did you fall asleep in a green house?
    Do you have miracle grow for your breakfast?
    Did you eat all your vegetables growing up?
    Have you ever bought anything in the tall mans shop in goatstown in dublin?
    Watch your head
    Your mother told you not to be long
    Get out of my way ya big boll*x
    Are you a guard?
    Do you know that scene in police academy where high tower rips out the front seat and then sits in the back seat to drive the car. Did you have to do that with your car? Haaaaaaaalarious particularly the thousandth time you hear it.
    It must be terrible for you on planes.
    Random women putting their heads against your chest and nuzzling you.
    People wanting to measure their hands against yours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Ottway

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

Move to Asia...... Just kidding!

In all honesty, I don't think you are short. If you were about 5ft, then I might consider you short. But then, why let your height bother you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭purehoor

OP i dont think your Happy.... so which one are you then?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭k_smash

lukesmom wrote: »
    I'm 5.8 which is tall for a girl

I'm amused you think 5'8" is tall for a girl.. I'm 6ft and have 2 friends who are also that height. Your height is perfect for a girl.. Don't be silly :)

Btw OP it's just as intimidating to be looking down on someone all the time as it is to be looking up...

Advertisement