Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird tinnitus problem

Options
  • 11-11-2012 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All,

I have a strange problem. I have tinnitus in my right ear. The sound is that of a seashell and also there's like a beating as if a drum stick is intermittently banging my ear drum.

The tinnitus started about 12 months ago and would come for about 10 minutes and go and would probably do that about 3 times a day or so. Now, however, I have it pretty much 24/7.

However, the strangest thing is that unlike most tinnitus sufferers, I do not have any problems when things are really quiet, but rather the more noise there is around, the more the tinnitus in my ear occurs.

I have done alot of research about it on the internet and have spoke to various audiologists,ENTs and GPs about it. However, I have noticed that I have 2 wisdom teeth coming down from top arch. My jaw/cheek often times feel tired and my ears feel full. I am thinking of having my wisdom teeth removed and see what happens.

Is there anyone that has done this? and if so, what was the outcome?
    Or has anyone got any ideas/comments on this matter?

Cheers,

Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Niamh108

I have more of a problem when it is really quiet and have recently taken to leaving a radio on low which I really did not want to do as I am the sort that would hate to have a radio or TV on first thing in the morning. It helps a bit for getting to sleep except when maybe a tune with a very different pitch is played on the radio.

The best nights sleep I have had are when I put a good coal fire on and sleep downstairs. The noise of the fire is enough to distract from the pulsing refrigerator sound in my head.

Yesterday I visited and osteopath in Mullingar and choose him simply as the only one near Leitrim that was within walking distance of a train station. He explained that an osteoptha can only do any good if the problem is caused by skeleton structure (not exact words he used but can't remember) and so a visit to one is not a cure for every body. It is not an instant cure so I probably won't know for 10 days if it works or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OP, we can't advise you whether you should get your wisdom teeth removed you would need to get professional advice on that. I do know however that there doesn't seem to be a lot of real information out there about tinnitus, and I think you just have to keep trying things till something works for you.

This is kind of unhelpful, but the more you concentrate on it, the bigger problem it is. When I see a thread about tinnitus on here I immediately become aware of mine. Otherwise I only notice it occasionally these days, and yet it is always there. At the moment I have a very noticeable feeeee sound in my right ear, which I hadn't been aware of all morning!

Advertisement