Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your pet hates in books?

Options
  • 11-11-2012 3:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭

This thought has been on my mind for the past number of weeks. I just finished reading a series (Riley Jenson Guardian Series by Keri Arthur) and some of my pet hates were in the books. In my opinion, some of these faults resulted in the series being average rather than very good.

One of my pet hates is unrealistic character reactions - in the early books Riley Jenson is raped a number of times but has no adverse reaction to it. She continues once recovered physically to have normal emotional & sexual relationships:confused: Unless your are a crack addicted prostitute, no-one recovers that quickly. It is awful storytelling on the author's behalf and very insulting to the audience.

One of my other pet hates came up in the Keri Arthur books and also in Cormac McCarthy's The Road. If you are presenting us with a world, make it somewhat believable, don't leave gaping holes in the reality. I could not come up with an apocalypse for The Road that would explain the world McCarthy was writing in - this may be pedantic on my side as I have read a lot of science fiction. It wasn't vague enough nor exact enough - for me it was a serious criticism of the book. How could I find any of the characters or their actions believable when the world itself wasn't?

Keri Arthur does something similar in the Riley Jenson books - they are set in the future, which is fine, but there is practically nothing futuristic in the books. So basically she ends up writing about contemporary Melbourne but with lasers guns & on-board computer navigators (literally that is all).
    [One of the funniest apocalyptic causes I read about in a series was caused by tomatoes being GM'ed. Through the series - periodically one-liners were made, or little side plots of tomato ketchup being illegal imported. This was the only humour in otherwise serious books.]

My last pet hate is when an author forces a character/situation/plot to suit their story line - so you get a ridiculous link, reaction or something out of the ordinary to explain/account for something. TV & film are just as guilty of this as are authors and it really annoys me. Re-write it if it doesn't work - don't force it.

Other things I don't care about - I will go from reading 'high' literature to reading tripe the next day and vice versa. I enjoy good storytelling as well as reading beautiful language.
    At the moment I am reading a book (third of a series), I suppose what would be classed as Erotica. It really showed up some of my prejudices against the genre. I presumed all erotica would be of a standard of 50 Shades - but these ones aren't. I speed read the 15 pages of a sex scene (it really does get boring) - but generally the books are nearly excellent. At the moment - the part of the book I am on, would stand up to a lot horror books with its nastiness & evilness (not sex related - as that would probably be snuff & that is plain EVIL, even in fiction).

What are your pet hates when reading?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Hyped up recurring characters just itching to get on the big screen.

Okay, you created a police detective and they're solving crimes, fine. You have created a coroner/morgue janitor, assistant DA who repeatedly solves crimes? Riiight.

Dan Brown is typical of this. I read The Da Vinci Code, it was actually an enjoyable read if you didn't look too much into it. It was only after did I realise that Langdon is in at least 2 other books. He's a Harvard University professor of religious iconology who gets embroiled in James Bond/Indiana Jones situations and gets the beautiful woman at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Fantasy novels where there are loads of characters who have long 'magical' make-ee-up-ee names that have to be remembered in order for you to follow the story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Whiney characters who go on whining about everything through out the book. You know the type, spending ages complaining before the fight, run and hide during the fight, complain after the fight. There was a fantasy series which was classical for this a decade ago but I can't recall the name. The type of character you want to just slap to shut them up... This should not be confused with the grumpy character type who thinks all was better before etc. which are perfectly fine in my book :)

I'd also second the rape comment above; saw the same in a new author's book were the main female character was gang raped by bandits and then made love a day later with her rescuer...

I'll also admitt having problems with the "I'm always right and see how the world confirms around me to prove it being so" authors who use the book to drive a highly political agenda (see T. Goodkind esp. after Sep. 9th). I don't mind political agenda but mixing it in to much makes a book unreadable as you're now reading fantasy/sci fi AND political fiction in one go and they rarely combine well and properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I hate when an author skimps on the description of a character when they're introduced, but later makes reference to physical features which conflict with the image you've since built up yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Errors that should have easily been picked up by a half-way decent editor, but weren't. It just ruins the believability of a novel for me. If I spotted one thing, how many other things are wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I hate when an author skimps on the description of a character when they're introduced, but later makes reference to physical features which conflict with the image you've since built up yourself.

Yes, that is really irritating! Same goes for a house or building that doesn't get a description at first, then when layouts or decor are mentioned later they are at odds with what I've imagined.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Typos and spelling mistakes. How did nobody somewhere along the way pick this up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

bluewolf wrote: »
    Typos and spelling mistakes. How did nobody somewhere along the way pick this up?
    It's worse since things started being done on computers. Spellcheck doen't pick up errors like of/or etc.

Also, I have noticed that the quality of spellchecking and formatting on e-books is much much worse than in paper books.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It's worse since things started being done on computers. Spellcheck doen't pick up errors like of/or etc.

Also, I have noticed that the quality of spellchecking and formatting on e-books is much much worse than in paper books.

I haven't read many e-books, but I've seen then/than a couple times lately, and some missing punctuation or suchlike.

Oh yes, that is a major peeve of mine. It really takes you out of the immersion of the book when you realise there's a mistake. It's not just in 'acquired' books either; I buy plenty of books on Amazon and I've come across the same thing, though thankfully not as much as in books that were given to me.

The worst case I remember was a copy of Stephen King's Misery which was probably missing around 25% of full stops throughout the book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

old gregg wrote: »
    Fantasy novels where there are loads of characters who have long 'magical' make-ee-up-ee names that have to be remembered in order for you to follow the story.

Its the main reason I don't read much fantasy. If a name is long enough or stupid enough, I just can't get past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Bad writing is the worst. Drives me mental.

Lengthy sentences with lots of commas - see Henry James's Turn of the Screw.

Puke prose - see The Scarlet Letter - gave up reading after the first chapter it was that awful. Lengthy sentences, no paragraphs, overuse of adjectives, bloated descriptions, that type of thing.

Breaking the 'show, don't tell' rule. Worst example of this I've come across is The Shadow of the Wind - toward the end a character writes a 30-page letter to another character which is just pure exposition.

Books that presume the reader will immediately fall in love with its characters - the reader's affection for them has to be earned through proper character development.

Trying to be too cutesy or quirky - I like quirky, but when it is piled on too much it's nauseating.

Unnecessary and/or graphic sex scenes that add nothing to the story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Unnecessary and/or graphic sex scenes that add nothing to the story.
    You would not happened to be reading about a certain gay and very masculine fantasy hero?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Nody wrote: »
    You would not happened to be reading about a certain gay and very masculine fantasy hero?
    No, not sure what you are referring to. I don't read fantasy books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

No, not sure what you are referring to. I don't read fantasy books.

Richard Morgan I imagine. All of his sex scenes are a bit poor but the gay stuff was shoehorned in there so hilariously for the sake of itself.
    Great books though. I hope the third one's out soon, not that I don't have a massive reading list already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Aenaes wrote: »
    Dan Brown is typical of this. I read The Da Vinci Code, it was actually an enjoyable read if you didn't look too much into it. It was only after did I realise that Langdon is in at least 2 other books. He's a Harvard University professor of religious iconology who gets embroiled in James Bond/Indiana Jones situations and gets the beautiful woman at the end.

Uh, in fairness, Indiana Jones was a high school teacher.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I haven't read many e-books, but I've seen then/than a couple times lately, and some missing punctuation or suchlike.

The problem is that many of them are imperfectly scanned (as scanners can't be perfect). I'm reading Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast at the moment, and at least once, the name of the character Irma has been mistyped as "Inna".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Uh, in fairness, Indiana Jones was a high school teacher.

I know but the Indiana Jones movie franchise always was a bit tongue-in-cheek. Lucas and Spielberg both agreed to make him the American James Bond.

Shryke wrote: »
    Richard Morgan I imagine. All of his sex scenes are a bit poor but the gay stuff was shoehorned in there so hilariously for the sake of itself.
    Great books though. I hope the third one's out soon, not that I don't have a massive reading list already.
    I was indeed and I'm always waiting for his next book :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Overly descriptive writers who feel the need to spoonfeed the reader, often at the expense of advancing the plot. Joseph Conrad is a particular offender.

The over-reliance of coincidence. Dickens does this a lot, often to a laughable degree. He was obviously a great writer but I wish he hadn't overdone the element of coincidence in his novels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I hate when books feature a screen shot of actors from a movie version of the same book right on the cover.

My problem with this is I find I can't conjure up my own vision of the characters like I normally can, because I've now got these Hollywood actors in my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Dream sequences. Usually largely irrelevant and sometimes used as a device to give some obscure clue to the reader, I tend to skim over them to be honest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The author giving up.
    In some books I've read, they start off with excellent characteristic, plotlines etc. Then at a certain stage, the author seems to give up and race to the end: sacrificing quality & plot just to finish off the book to hand over to the publisher. It treats the reader with a profound disrespect and on the very rare occasion I've come across I've never bothered again with the author.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Constant repetition. Stephen King's antagonists are always "grinning" and when people swallow their "throat's click", the last book I read (not SK) people were always licking their lips and had dry throats, in the current book I'm reading everyone's always shrugging. I mean, I realise there's only so many things a person can do, but on every single page?!?

Oh, and sex scenes, just..... no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Lengthy descriptions of absolutely no value to the story, as in, page fillers.
    I read all sorts, go through phases. My last chick-lit and easy to read holiday novels phase ended abruptly when an author I really liked described in several pages her heroine making spaghetti bolognese. Can't even remember the name of the book.

I've gone on to factual books now, and not about food :).

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Bladdering on about crap like "his tie was red like a candy apple", just tell the story!

I hate when books feature a screen shot of actors from a movie version of the same book right on the cover.

My problem with this is I find I can't conjure up my own vision of the characters like I normally can, because I've now got these Hollywood actors in my head.

Can't believe I didn't think of this one myself, it has to be #1 for me. Especially when the film did nothing but piss all over the book. When I saw Will Smith on the cover of I Am Legend in Waterstones I think a few blood vessels were on the verge of popping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Can't believe I didn't think of this one myself, it has to be #1 for me. Especially when the film did nothing but piss all over the book. When I saw Will Smith on the cover of I Am Legend in Waterstones I think a few blood vessels were on the verge of popping.

Watch The Omega Man its also not like the book but a better film (and it has Charlton Heston in it!)

My annoyance is with Sci-Fi books having as their main characters rebellious, assertive/strong but attractive young (often teen) female characters (probably could just refer to them as action girls), Snowcrash (a terrible book imo) is the worst example of this one of the main characters is a sexually active 13 or 14 year old skater girl!

I've no problem with books having a female character as the focus but its never a unattractive woman (I don't think I;ve ever read a SCI-FI book with an overweight female main protagonist!)
    I often feel that the authors (often male) feel that by having a female protagonist their being a bit "different" or striking a blow against sexism rather than actually having a reason* in for the character to be female.

An author thats guilty of this and also my other peeve is Ian (M) Banks, with recycling basically the same character under a different name in books in the same universe.

* Not that the main character shouldn;t be a female action girl but at least make them seem like a real person not the same as character X

My cross genre pet peeve is characters that are destined to have sex e.g its guaranteed chapters before (and I also dislike sex in books in general the book of the Godfather :eek: )

edit:Remembered more thing that annoy me, writers that repeat phrases or bulk out their books and stories, this was excusable for people that published their short stories in magazine first but not any more

The Game of thrones seemed to have the phrase "grease running down his chin" about a million times

rant over sorry!

Constant repetition. Stephen King's antagonists are always "grinning" and when people swallow their "throat's click", the last book I read (not SK) people were always licking their lips and had dry throats, in the current book I'm reading everyone's always shrugging. I mean, I realise there's only so many things a person can do, but on every single page?!?

I find a lot of writers do that unawares, and it's often something I catch on a second or third read. The last time I read the Harry Potter series, I noticed that Rowling got hung up on the voice of the character Kingsley Shacklebolt:
    "'Remus says you're a good flier,' said Kingsley Shacklebolt in his deep voice."

"'No one's going to die,' said Kingsley Shacklebolt in his deep, calming voice."

" and then a deep voice he recognised as Kingsley Shacklebolt's saying, 'Hestia's just relieved me, so she's got Moody's Cloak now, thought I'd leave a report for Dumbledore…'"

"Kingsley Shacklebolt's deep voice was audible even over the surrounding chatter."

"'You want to calm yourself, Madam Umbridge,' said Kingsley, in his deep, slow voice. 'You don't want to get yourself into trouble, now.'"

I think that was every one of his appearances in the fifth book…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Am in the middle of Wolf Hall at the moment. I love the period and Cromwell's character, but Mantel's habit of not telling you who's speaking is really off-putting. I've been forced repeatedly to reread entire paragraphs as she usually (but not always) uses 'he' to mean the protagonist, Cromwell.

I'm not an idiot and don't need 'he said', 'she said' on every line, but dialogue should have some bit of clarity. I don't know if Mantel is affecting a style for the sake of it or being lazy or what, but it's just plain irritating.

Advertisement