Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown trout

Options
  • 11-11-2012 7:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

Can I first declare I know nothing about fishing :D

Walking around the bog a few weeks ago I heard some fish jumping in the lakes, I'm thinking they'd be brown trout?

What's the story with trying to catch one or two to try for eating. Is there a season? Anything that a noob should know or be aware of?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭FMG

Hi,would be best to check with local anglers or tackle shop but as a general season is from March to Sept so probably closed to fishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Thanks for that, there's a shop not too far from me I can ask in. Don't know why I didn't think of them. I'm in no hurry anyway, I don't eat fish really and because I live beside the sea, rivers, and lakes think I should at least try to change that.

Got another question, which will sound odd, but bear with me. I have an interest in the Survivalism and Self Suffiency forum... that's the odd part :D ... The question is what would be the least amount of gear needed to fish brown trout (legally, not interested in doing anything dodgy), would a line, hook and some bait do with a stick for a rod? I like to, where possible, make stuff for myself and see how I get on with it, but seeing as I have so little knowledge of fishing I need a base to start off from :)

Thanks for the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Thanks for that, there's a shop not too far from me I can ask in. Don't know why I didn't think of them. I'm in no hurry anyway, I don't eat fish really and because I live beside the sea, rivers, and lakes think I should at least try to change that.

Got another question, which will sound odd, but bear with me. I have an interest in the Survivalism and Self Suffiency forum... that's the odd part :D ... The question is what would be the least amount of gear needed to fish brown trout (legally, not interested in doing anything dodgy), would a line, hook and some bait do with a stick for a rod? I like to, where possible, make stuff for myself and see how I get on with it, but seeing as I have so little knowledge of fishing I need a base to start off from :)

Thanks for the help!

Fly fishing is probably the most effective method of catching brown trout (I stick to the sea so could be wrong) Rod, reel, line and flies is all you need, they have the be the right ones for the job at hand mind you, I'll leave the rest to the experts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Eriesniper

Thanks for the help!
    you
    will need,rod,reel,line,net,flies,.i would recoumend looking up patterrns for the time of year your going.try wet flys like a Bucher,Bibio,if you see trout jumping use Daddy longlegs,and klinkhammers,adam dry fly,f fly .and so on.ask your local tackle shop he will tell you where is the best place to fish

Good luck
    Eriesniper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

The question is what would be the least amount of gear needed to fish brown trout (legally, not interested in doing anything dodgy), would a line, hook and some bait do with a stick for a rod?

Essentially all you need is a baited hook, line and bamboo or the like to act as a rod. Generally it is only legal to fish with rod and line so nets, traps, fixed lines etc are illegal.
    You need to establish who controls the fishing rights as generally Trout fishing is controlled by clubs,state, etc (As an adjoining landowner you may be welcomed into the club free!)
    If you feel you are getting it hard to reach the fish you might consider then using a rod and reel allowing you cast some distance.

Walking around the bog a few weeks ago I heard some fish jumping in the lakes, I'm thinking they'd be brown trout?

They may or may not be Brown Trout. If they are, the closed season is generally now, end of Sept to first of Mar. A visit to your local angling shop will tell all.
    There is the chance too that it's some coarse fish or other. They too are regulated, the Bye laws you would need to check out for them are: Bye law 806 (2006) and Bye Law 809 (2006). There is a lot of general info here
    http://www.fishinginireland.info/regulations.htm

They coarse fish might not be as attractive to eat but some people consume the odd one, eg Perch. Again BL 806 would want to be adhered to, (less than 4 fish, under 25 cms ect).

• Advertisement
Advertisement